highlighting help

xsnowwhite

hi again,
I want to highlight my hair and am doing it myself (actually my friend will be doing the highlighting i just have to buy the stuff) but I was wondering do you highlight with just bleach? I read that hair dye won't lift, so I guess this is my only option? I've highlighted myself before but it turned orange due to an old dye I had on my hair. It's pretty much fixed now but I want an ashy blonde this time to cancel any red(my natural color is very ashy). My hair is currently medium/dark brown(I'm guessing a level 3-4 sorry idk why i wrote 7). Is there a product(at a beauty supply store) that I can use to highlight that would be better than bleach? Thanks in advance!

Jewelz913

The only time haircolor wont lift is if there is previous color on the hair(color doesnt lift color)....if ur wanting to highlight on natural hair than you can use a color to do so. If thats the case with you, then you can find something like a high lift blonde color that will give you the effect. Im not positive on any color off hand, like at Sally Beauty or anything, but just ask what would be the best.
Or on the other hand if you already do have color on your hair and bleach is required. Try to get your hands on Kaleidocolors. Its by Clairol Professional. Its a tonal bleach and comes in different tones,(blue, violet, neutral, and gold)..if ur looking to cancel out any red or brassiness use the violet. with a 10 or 20 developer. This is a safe bleach. You can lift up to your desired level and also put a toner on it, if need be.

I hope this kinda helped. Once I know more about your hair I can guide you in a better direction.

Ask away!

xsnowwhite

Thanks thats really helpful! I already do have some color from an old dye job, and I luckilly have the kaleidacolors bleach on hand(the blue one) so I guess I'll just use that. What sort of toner do you reccomend? I dont want my highlights to be that light so would it work to bleach them a few levels then do a dark ash blonde semi perm over it or is there a way easier way?

Jewelz913

yea that'll work just fine....if ur not wanting it too light you can lift it a few levels and see how that comes out..it may not be completely even because your ends have color on them...but you can find a semi perm color use something like a natural ash, maybe around a level 8 or 9...and you should be good :)

Latest posts