Holiday 2007 Eye Palettes Dilemma

Babylard

Okay, so I just got into MAC not too long ago and at first I wasn't very interested in the holday 07 palettes, but now I am lemming to get one or two. I have not seem them in real life.

I really like the smokey palette. I like how there are light shades of grey which I do not have. I only have Charred and the grey with pink undertones from Take Wings Quad, so I think the smokey palette will help round out what I have so far. It makes me kind of sad that this palette doesn't have a true black which I don't have.

I also sort of like the metallic palette, but I'm undecided on how similar smokey and metallic are. I think I only like the cool palette for the purple and pink shadows. Would there be anything out their that is similar to trophy pink and modern heir? I'm wondering if there is a big enough difference that I should get both smokey and metallic or if I can pass on one.

I'm not interested in the warm palette because I have showstopper from Diana Eyes quad lol.

I was thinking of maybe just getting the smokey palette along with the metalic palette or just smokey by itself, and then finding a similar pink and purple and order black tied or something. I don't like buying things that are awefully similar and I like variety.

Perhaps I should wait for next year's palettes? I'm not quite sure what to do, I want to place an order on the Canadian MAC site soon before they are gone forever. I am so undecided and the swatch thread is like making me more confused lol. Any suggestions?

thanks!

Girl about town

i have the smoky palette and i would definitely recommend it, i have heard people say the metallc eyes is a bit glittery so it depends what kind of thing you like, the cool eyes are gorge too nicer than warm eyes xxxx

LeeanneMarie

Metallics is glittery... id say about 4 out of 6 shadows have glitter in them, but its not that noticable except for honey lust and silver fog... those are REALLY glittery.

If you have ricepaper its just like creme royale, so don't bother.

Babylard

thanks, i have ricepaper lol i'll have to pass on metallics then
smiles.gif

athena123

I too faced this dilemna so I bought the Cool Eyes, Warm Eyes and Smokey Palette. I was new to MAC when I bought them so didn't have to worry about duplicates. I use the warm and cool eyes very frequently and haven't really touched the Smokey too often.

miss_supra

I bought the Metalic one instead, I was really disappointed in the smokey eyes set actually. I prefer the smoke signal's smokey quads. Yes it is 'glittery', but it is called metalic for a reason. I bought it to compliment my other eyeshadows because the metalics compliment so many brown and blue eye shadows. They are also great bases to start out with.

chocodcocoa

I got the metallic and warm eyes this year... the smokey palette really did not show up on me... and the grays somehow turned out like pale purples =S
If you're worried about the glitter in the metallics palette... just think of how you won't have to blend as much on those days when you're rushing to get to school / work... glitter can hide quite a few blending mistakes =)

Babylard

oh dear. I thought making this thread would help me decide but how wrong was I!! lol

I just came back from the MAC counter and got me a nice FAFI haul. I am still so very unsure of the palettes. The glitters don't bother me too much. I'm just trying to avoid dupes. I actually like sparkles and shimmer lol.

Thanks for all your replies.

that is weird.. greys turn purple? lol what is your skin colour chocdcocoa? I am medium-light ish and I am in serious need of grey colours. now i am not quite sure about the smokey palette anymore. do they make one every year? maybe i should hold out for next year >__<

matsubie

it's really hard to avoid dupes that are in eye palettes that mac makes every year if you are an avid mac collector =D

i liked the metallic palette the most out of this holiday's line due to the fact that the colors were more interesting.

every year they bring out new themes and colors so you can wait but if you do like the colors that they offered in 2007 holiday, i'd suggest you make a run for it.

chocodcocoa

I'm NC30 =)

It's not like a bright purple... more like a light purple / lavender... it just didn't show up as true grey on me >.<

I do think the metallic palette is pretty versatile though if you do like the shimmer and glitter =)

Babylard

*scratches head*... Bah. I really wish I saw the holiday palettes in the store. I totally fell in love with FAFI quad 2 today. Fun n Sexy is an amazing lipstick!! Don't be scared of the brightness... you can smudge it on and it will look hot hot under totally it lipglass. I love how light catches on the purple sparkles lol.

whooops...... Back on topic...

choco, that is soo weird.. i don't understand how grey can look slightly purple lol.. have you tried a neutral base? I find it that paint pots on top of udpp really neutralizes my eyelids. i even put on metal-x cream shadows sometimes if im not lazy.

maybe i will go stare at the swatches again... lol

well... the cool pallete kind of reminds me of stars n rockets and satelite dreams... i love that pink one though.

i like how the smokey palette has different shades of grey. I prefer lighter greys. Are all of the greys gross looking on you choco? you sound like you dont like it. why not return it?

the metallics are indeed a nice fundamental.. hmm...

athena123, how come you dont touch the smokey palette? lol

athena123

Babylard, I really don't like how the greys look on me even though I bought it specifically FOR the greys. The light grey is eh ok and the dark gray has too much shimmer for my tastes. My skintone is more beige than NW25, light brown eyes. Who knows, though I may change my mind about this
smiles.gif

chocodcocoa

I didn't buy the smokey palette, I only went for the warm and metallic ones =D
I usually just use UDPP and then the shadows... greys don't usually turn purple on me but they can turn out ashy =S The smokey palette just happened to turn purple and I have no idea why.

athena123

Interesting comment choco- I wonder if some colors appear differently on different people because of our underlying skintone? Although with powders, you wouldn't expect this kind of interaction [unlike Perfume, which certainly react to each individual person]

Babylard

athena, i think you are right. for example the ocre style e/s from originals looks pretty gross on me.. reminds me of urine... but it looks real nice on others.

i decided not to get any palettes and wait for next year and just splurge on other things lol. not like i have a choice anyways, since they took the items down and arghs. i was going to order light flush yesterday and its sold out pooo...

what have i learned? head for MAC when things just got released.....

thanks for all your replies
smiles.gif

athena123

Ooh babylard, I absolutely LOVE the ochre style on me! It's one of those shades I wouldn't have tried on my own but a MAC MA used it all over my lids and I was stunned. I have a backup because I've never seen another eyeshadow that even comes close to this earthy golden brown shade.

BTW you inspired me to reach for the smokey palette yesterday. I applied ochre all over the lid and into the crease, then applied another coat of ochre into the crease and the outer V. Maid of Honor [the creamy beige] went onto the browbone, then the Courtly Grey was used as a smudgey eyeliner under lower lashes, upper lashes and the outer V. Very nice neutral non over the top daytime look
smiles.gif

Babylard

im glad you are using that palette now. i dont like how ocre style looked on me. it really brings out the yellow in my skin and like i said, looks like piss LOL

im sure you looked beautiful athena
greengrin.gif

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_supra
I bought the Metalic one instead, I was really disappointed in the smokey eyes set actually. I prefer the smoke signal's smokey quads. Yes it is 'glittery', but it is called metalic for a reason. I bought it to compliment my other eyeshadows because the metalics compliment so many brown and blue eye shadows. They are also great bases to start out with.

That was my decision, too. I love everything that is "glittery"
winks.gif

Girl about town

i AM NC30 too and i the smoky palette greys are great on me, the darker one is kinda like knight devine which i don't have and it looks good no purple at all. The lighter one i love its called courtly grey and i wear it with gesso(matt white) it is a matte grey so could like almost purply in some lights but in a good way x

Karen_B

I have the smokey palette and I have come to like it more and more. Especially the yellow beige shade, is it Maid of Honor it's called? In any case, I like the fact that I can do a neutral beige/bronze look (Maid of honor + Majestic), a more dramatic silver and dark grey look (Rondelle + Knight) or a more intense neutral eye (pair Maid of honor with Palatial/Courtly grey and darken up with Knight, for example) with this one palette. It's actually quite versatile, I think. Perfect to bring on holidays.

As far as the cool palette goes, I think the lightest pink shadow looks a lot like Pink Freeze, and the hot pink one seems similar to Post Haste or Passionate. (Sorry I can't remember the names of the shadows in the palette, they completely slipped my mind!) Today I swatched Shadowy Lady next to Signed, Sealed and Graphology, in the shop I couldn't really see a huge difference between these 3.