how can you tell this is fake?

sleepyhead

i know they are fake cuz there are so many things wrong with the boxes. but other than that, how can you tell? the base of the jar isn't thick, the lid doesn't look shiny, and the font on the jar looked right too. i would have thought they were legit if it wasn't for the boxes. this is scary...
thmbdn.gif

fake.jpg

panda0410

are you sure these are fake?? I have a distinct recollection that some of the older boxes WERE printed like that, I know the glitters certainly were because I have one.

Xqueeze_me

I don't believe that's fake. They are older version MAC packaging/boxes. They are rough cardboard boxes. Someone once sold me a Red Glitter with a box like that and she has used MAC for many years. Not too sure how old or how far back in the 90s the pigments/boxes are though.

MACATTAK

Agreed with Panda and Xqueeze_me on this! I believe I have a couple of pigments with this type of box (older ones) and some glitters. Can we get pictures of the bottom of these pigments, and pictures with the lids off??

neezer

hmm that's interesting...but i think the easiest way to tell is
A) going to a store and asking them to show you the colors and do a match up with the product
B) if they dont have that slide off protectant but the lil spout at the top=FAKE
C) if they don't have names but Numbers on the bottom
D) also too the pigment is usually kinda cakey but if you feel like it's chalky then it could be but then again could be the texture of the product like if it's a Matte.

julie150463

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead
i know they are fake cuz there are so many things wrong with the boxes. but other than that, how can you tell? the base of the jar isn't thick, the lid doesn't look shiny, and the font on the jar looked right too. i would have thought they were legit if it wasn't for the boxes. this is scary...
thmbdn.gif

Think it's just old packaging. I have a lipstick and eyeshadow in just the same type box - think they're dated 2000
S1051633.jpg

Panda - Can you just have a quick squizz - you'll know what I mean
winkiss.gif

S1051634.jpg

Apologies for the enormous photos!

panda0410

I dont know about the colour of the lippie...lol...but the box and packaging looks just like my super old lippie - the batch stamp seems right too and seems unlikely to fake something like this
smiles.gif
I think its good!

julie150463

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
I dont know about the colour of the lippie...lol...but the box and packaging looks just like my super old lippie - the batch stamp seems right too and seems unlikely to fake something like this
smiles.gif
I think its good!

Not a colour you fancy then ?
th_LMAO.gif

sleepyhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda0410
are you sure these are fake?? I have a distinct recollection that some of the older boxes WERE printed like that, I know the glitters certainly were because I have one.

that seller had tons of obvious fakes in her store (like 12 color eyeshadow palettes with duo end sponge brush), that's why i just naturally assumed it was fake. i guess i might be wrong about that... (this wasn't from ebay, btw)

sleepyhead

i just want to run this by your guys before i jump to conclusion again.

look at these boxes.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

1. to me, some of the lids look shinier than normal, but the pigment color look pretty close
i thought this was real, but you can see how shiny the lid is in the "group" picture above
SILVERFOG.jpg

SILVERFOG2.jpg

2. some (not all) of the boxes have cuts on each side of the top flap where you stick it back into box (if that makes any sense, i circled it in the picture). all of mine only seem to have that on the bottom, not the top. do mac have both kinds? cuz, again, some of the colors actually looked right
provence.jpg

and here are some more
CORNFLOWER-1.jpg

CORNFLOWER2.jpg

3. in the same store, some of the colors/texture look kinda off. take a look at these.
maybe it's the picture, but my rose gold is much finer and less grainy than that.
ROSEGOLd.jpg

ROSEGOLd2.jpg

you can see teal looked really weird in the picture at the top of this post, and here's a close up of a weird chartreuse
chartreuse.jpg

i was also told that some of the pigments/glitters are made in japan (all of mine have are either made in US or Canada), do you guys know if that is true? do they only supply those to asia or something?

i'm sooo confused right now... please HELP!!!

ps: were the pro metal pigment used to be 2.5g? the faq artical says they are 2.5g each, but all the ones i brought from the pro store say 7.5g (i have 3 of them)

panda0410

yup, these ones are deffo fake!! all the new colour fakes and some of the old ones too. have a look at the rose gold - that certainly is no metal pigment...LOL!!
NONE of the pigments are made in japan, this has already been verified by mac - some of the glitters in the vials are though, but I dont know about full sized glitters, they may be too. I sold all my glitters off except two and xqueeze_me was super kind and gave me one of hers! I will go check and see about them
smiles.gif

I expect she may not know the difference as the older style ones in your first post I am thinking are actually probably real.