How could they go to sleep at night?

Indigowaters

There are no words for this. I'm ashamed that I come from the sister-city of this city. Click here.

I believe there is a special place in hell for the people responsible for this.
th_remoteImage-61.gif

Indigowaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly
Wtf?! That's horrible

I know. They didn't even provide a place for them to stay afterwards. How could they go home in their nice comfy homes and go to sleep knowing they did this? But what goes around comes around and they should expect worse to come on them.

redambition

that is absolutely disgusting.

how could they destroy what someone considers home just like that?

it would only be right for them to go home to find their own house destroyed, and find that no one was interested in helping them. then they might understand what they've done.

IslandGirl77

That is evil! They could of at least provided them with a place to stay. Or they could of at least asked them first to remove the tents. That's just inhumane.

Beauty Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigowaters
I know. They didn't even provide a place for them to stay afterwards. How could they go home in their nice comfy homes and go to sleep knowing they did this? But what goes around comes around and they should expect worse to come on them.

So many people see the homeless as second class citizens. The least they should've done is told them to take down their tents.

Indigowaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty Mark
So many people see the homeless as second class citizens. The least they should've done is told them to take down their tents.

That's the thing. It's a tossup between if they told them or not. The homeless are saying that the city never said anything about it and just came and tore them up that day. Warning to me means they tell them to take them down while also trying to find somewhere for them to stay. That's like someone coming to vandalize your home and the city saying it's legal. While it may not be a home, it's where they can stay. I just don't know what they'll do now.

Beauty Mark

I hope some homeless advocacy groups step in. I don't know much about the area, but surely the story has caught someone who can help's attention

MAC_Whore

That is disturbing on a couple of levels. First and foremost, I don't like to see people in struggle. Being homeless is challenge enough, I'm sure. This is a setback that they didn't need in their lives.

One thing I noticed was that the first article was irresponsible journalism and appears meant to stir up emotions. They say that the homeless were allowed to put the tents up, but then city officials forced them to take them down. They never said that the city told them it was OK, but I think a lot of people assumed it was the city. I don't know. They never clearly say, do they?

They make the police sound like total thugs and that pisses me off. The police act on laws created by the people of this country and that state. I can assure you that each one of them would have rather been somewhere else. They were acting on orders of someone within in the city. They were doing their jobs. Whether they agreed with it or not in principal, they were required to be there. Just as if someone broke into my house, or stole your car or whatever, they would be required to be there. Yet, they get the dump from these stories.

I can totally appreciate code violations, safety concerns that would have the city want them to relocate, but perhaps they could have worked with advocacy groups beforehand. Then again, they don't really tell us in those articles what had been done before. They mention that the homeless had been asked to move from another location and that is about it.

I am glad to hear that these people are safe. I will reserve getting too emotional over what was presented though, as I really feel that these pieces that are meant to shock and that pisses me off.

Indigowaters

I understand what you're saying but there is a line I have drawn between personal responsibility and what my job is. I'm glad that I wasn't one of those police officers called on to do that job, because with the kind of heart I have for people, I couldn't have done it. I can say that because in my job, I won't lie for anyone (not even my boss) and they know that. Therefore, they don't ask me to lie.

I do agree that it was a poorly done job by the journalists to not get alot of info as far as did the city tell them to move and by when. But still, it's pretty harsh to just go and tear down these people's belongings. It's getting to the point where these officials do anything they want and try to back it up with the law in the the long run. This is one of those instances where I just want to scream, "It's not fair!".

kimmy

it is really horrible what happened to those people and the places they call home. it's a shame it happened like that, but it's good to see that someone is trying to help them out.
smiles.gif

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but there is a line I have drawn between personal responsibility and what my job is. I'm glad that I wasn't one of those police officers called on to do that job, because with the kind of heart I have for people, I couldn't have done it. I can say that because in my job, I won't lie for anyone (not even my boss) and they know that. Therefore, they don't ask me to lie.

but, there are alot of things that article didn't mention, like crime rates and such. there could have been a steadily (or rapidly) increasing crime rate in the area since the tents were put up...in which case the cops had to take that into consideration, as well. alot of homeless people are mentally unstable which is why they don't have jobs, etc. so having them living in tents can be dangerous to the community.

i don't agree with the city chopping down their tents, but i can see the need to move them elsewhere, like the Mission has done. of course, the city could have been a little more tactful with the whole thing.

MAC_Whore

Quote:
I understand what you're saying but there is a line I have drawn between personal responsibility and what my job is. I'm glad that I wasn't one of those police officers called on to do that job, because with the kind of heart I have for people, I couldn't have done it. I can say that because in my job, I won't lie for anyone (not even my boss) and they know that. Therefore, they don't ask me to lie.....

I appreciate what you are saying, I just see it a bit differently. I see someone who works in the service of the medical industry and police or military agencies as someone who takes a vow to serve, regardless of whether they agree with the subject matter or not. It works both ways in that sometimes they will agree with the subject matter and sometimes they won't. Sometimes you will agree with their actions and sometimes you won't, but they will always be there to the best of their abilities. I see them as pretty brave and selfless. I think, in my eyes, to call that a "lie" is not fair to them. I think a "lie" in the workplace is someone who is stealing from the company, for example, or executing an action of that ilk.

Indigowaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore
I appreciate what you are saying, I just see it a bit differently. I see someone who works in the service of the medical industry and police or military agencies as someone who takes a vow to serve, regardless of whether they agree with the subject matter or not. It works both ways in that sometimes they will agree with the subject matter and sometimes they won't. Sometimes you will agree with their actions and sometimes you won't, but they will always be there to the best of their abilities. I see them as pretty brave and selfless. I think, in my eyes, to call that a "lie" is not fair to them. I think a "lie" in the workplace is someone who is stealing from the company, for example, or executing an action of that ilk.

I think you misunderstood what I said. I said as an example I won't lie. I wasn't calling them a lie. I was just saying that (doing what the mayor asked) would be a command (in the police's shoes) that I would have found hard to carry out.

Hawkeye

People are brutal. They like to beat up on the weak and stuff. They have no conscious it seems. anything, anyone that they percieve as weak they go after.

mzjae

I don't understand how a person can do something like that...They're already going through a tough time & they have to make it worse...