How do you apply mac pigments?

M4C_G1RL

Hi, im a total newbie to the world of Mac and slowly becoming obsessed! Ive never used the pigments but will be buying a couple tomorrow and just wondered how you actually apply them because the powder looks as if it wouldn't stick? and are pigments just for the eyes? Sorry if i seem dumb!

rbella

You can use them just like regular e/s. I personally use most of mine (since they are so neutral) as a highlighter or wash over my darker colors. You can also use something like mixing medium or DuWop's payoff to change the consistency and give the color a little more kick.

I usually just think of the consistency of pigments as the same as that of any mineral e/s. It is just eyeshadow that is loose.

lainz

i use eye drops instead of the mac mixing medium and it works perfectly. put some drops in the lid, and add pigment until its cookie dough consistency, then apply it to your eyes. ive never had problems with it flaking off or creasing or anything. HTH
smiles.gif

garnetmoon

i actually use pigments in almost every look i do. i make my own mixing medium w/ rosewater & glycerin (3 parts to 1 respectively) and keep in in a dropper bottle. 85%-95% of the time i use pigments wet as a base for the look on top of UDPP. i'll wet my brush w/ my mixing medium then swipe it on the lid of the pigment jar as most of the time there's pigment in the lid, sometimes i'll dip in the jar if i need to (note: i put my pigments into sample jars so that i don't contaminate the larger jar and to prevent knocking over and wasting an entire jar as i can be clumsy when i'm in a rush). anyway once it's wet on the brush i swipe it on to my eye usually up to the crease. i like to use a lot of colors so if i know my look is going to have 2-3 different colors on the lid i'll lay down 2-3 different coordinating base pigments vertically in a row from inner to outer eye, hope that makes sense. i also slightly blend into and above my crease so that the line isn't too harsh to blend later on.

the other 5%-15% of the time i'll apply pigments dry in my look like pressed eyeshadow or apply with my fingers/brush on cheeks and lips.

AppleDiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbella
You can use them just like regular e/s. I personally use most of mine (since they are so neutral) as a highlighter or wash over my darker colors. You can also use something like mixing medium or DuWop's payoff to change the consistency and give the color a little more kick.

I usually just think of the consistency of pigments as the same as that of any mineral e/s. It is just eyeshadow that is loose.

Is the DuWop payoff worth a purchase?

MACATTAK

I LOVE pigments. I always use them wet (unless it's a matte, or highlight color). They have so many uses & are a ton of fun
smiles.gif

purrtykitty

I love pigments, too! I use them as shadows or as liners most often. I always use a base under them to get the best color and prevent creasing.

angelamarie

Pigments are so much fun! I almost always use them in every look I do. I'll use them wet as others have mentioned above with mixing medium or eye drops, or I'll use a regular eyeshadow brush if I want a light sweep of color (pigments are great for blending or as a wash over your look to create depth), and sometimes when I'm in a rush I'll apply a pretty light color like Goldenaire or Shimmertime with my fingers to add a little brightness to my eyes (this actually works really well!).

rbella

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleDiva
Is the DuWop payoff worth a purchase?

Honestly, if you are comparing it to MAC's mixing medium, I cannot tell you for sure. I use a homemade medium of 3:1 water/glycerin. If I compare that to DuWop then yes, I would say DuWop is worth the purchase. DuWop intensifies the color of my pigments and shadows. Sometimes the color will actually look completely different than it looked dry. The mixing medium just changes the consistency imho, making it more creamy vs. dry.

HTH

aziajs

There are tons of posts on pigments and their uses. If you do a search you will find a lot of useful info.

I only use them as shadow. There are a lot of uses but I just tend to stcik with the eyes. They stick very well to the lid, especially with the use of a base underneath. I take the ones I like the most and put about a 1/4 tsp in a sample jar and use the pigment directly from the sample jar. just dip your brush in, I like the 242 (synthetic brush) to pack on the color.