How do you use the MAC 162 small contour brush?

athena123

OK, I kind of feel like an idjit for asking this, but how do you use the MAC 162 small contour brush? I went to the CCO at Ontario Mills in hopes of finding the MAC 187 skunk brush, but they didn't have any. Instead, I picked up the 107 [fan brush] and the eyebrow brush in addition to the 162. It felt so nice and soft brushing against my hand I just couldn't resist - I thought it would be great for a large eyeshadow brush but it's too big for the eyes and too small for blush, so any ideas? I don't really do a lot of contouring other than bronzer on the sides of my nose and under the cheekbones.

Suggestions are welcome!

Athena

tripwirechick

I use mine for contouring, highlighting and blush. I don't find it too small for a blush brush
smiles.gif
HTH

athena123

Do you know of any tutorials for using this? I just tried it and must not be doing it right, I have noticable "racing" stripes alongside my nose and had to wash it all off, LOL

AppleDiva

I also bought my brush at the CCO and I had no idea what to do with, but I use this brush the most. I use this brush to blend foundation and to place powder underneath the eye.

athena123

applediva, what kind of foundation do you use? Do you use it all over, or just to blend out edges? I don't really apply powder under my eye, do you mean you use it to apply concealer to cover dark circles?

I'm such a dolt spending $$ on something I have no idea how to use but I have a tendency to leap before I look sometimes. The fun is all in the learning, LOL!

AppleDiva

The foundation I use is liquid, so then I use a larger brush to blend, I use the 162 to finish up. I do not use foundation on my entire face, but I do use powder (Natural MSF) on my entire face, so that is why I use the 162 under the eye and above the cheek areas. I use it more for the finishing effect. I do not use concealer under the eye (probably should.) HTH

Meryl

I use mine for highlighting the face. I think it's best for that. Then lots of blending.

I have a Laura Mercier "Angled Eye Colour" brush that is the exact same shape (only smaller) and you're supposed to use that pointy flat part of the angle in the crease of the eye. I can't help thinking I'm not using all the angles of my 162 MAC brush and I should be doing more with it.

It's discontinued, isn't it?

athena123

I noticed none of the MAC brushes I picked up at the CCO are listed on their website any longer. Are only discontinued brushes available at CCOs?

MAC_Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena123
I noticed none of the MAC brushes I picked up at the CCO are listed on their website any longer. Are only discontinued brushes available at CCOs?

No, sometimes they have regulars as well.

athena123

Reviving an old thread; nearly one month later, I've really figured out how to rock this brush and now it's one of my favorites!
smiles.gif

I use the 162 to pat my mineral makeup on nose and chin since they need the heaviest coverage. I pounce the bristles into the mineral makeup, shake off the excess, then pounce around my nose and chin. Wipe off the bristles, then go back to nose and chin to blend blend blend. The angle is really good for getting around the nostrils.

Then I can use my skunk brush to stipple either liquid or powdered mineral makeup over cheeks and forehead. With the heavier coverage on the spots that need it and the lighter coverage on the rest of me, all is well
smiles.gif