How does LJ work?

Krystle

I just created an account at LJ, but do they have forums, or is it all journals?

I hear so much about what other people read/saw at LJ...but how do you access all of it?

jasper17

It's people's personal journals but there are also communities that you can join and post in.

For some of them (i.e. the mac community, which I presume you'd be interested in), posts are sometimes friends-only, which means you have to join LJ and then join the community you're interested in to see the friends only posts.

It's free unless you want to pay for more services, it's customizable, lots of good people and pretty much anything you might be interested in is represented there.

Go to www.livejournal.com and somewhere on that front page, it will have a link to create a journal - it guides you through the process. But if you have any questions, you can either PM me here or email me (I'm jasper17 there too) and I'd be glad to help.

EDIT - sorry - missed the part where you said you'd already created a journal. You can search by interest to find communities and people you're interested in, join the communities, add people to your friends list and post in both places. Kind of like a forum but not.

Krystle

I tried to find a directory and I cant because I dont have a paid account....do all of the forums cost?

Also...do I just search mac?

jasper17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krystle
I tried to find a directory and I cant because I dont have a paid account....do all of the forums cost?

Also...do I just search mac?

Go to your user info page and in the top right, there should be a search box. Put in mac and then change the drop down to interest and it will pull up a list of all the communities that list MAC as an interest. The main MAC community is mac_cosmetics - you can also put that in the search box and leave the drop down to search by user name and it will bring up the community.

As for cost, the site is free to use on the most basic level - that is, having your journal there is free and the communities do not cost anything to join. However, if you want paid user features (i.e. more user icons, use of the faster services, picture hosting, different paid user styles) then you can pay the annual fee (or whatever length of time you want to have a paid account).