How important is a portfolio when applying at MAC?

galvanizer

I have a MUA diploma from a reputable school and about 12 years of customer service and retail under my belt. While I was at makeup school, we did have a few professional photo shoots of our models after we'd had our practical exams, but it's very expensive to have the pictures enlarged (I do have contact sheets of the negatives). Will not having a formal portfolio make or break my chances?

so_siqqq

I think it helps to give more information on your art for the interviewer if you have a portfolio. Like in hairstyling it's best to have a portfolio of the work you've done to show the salon you're applying to your experience, style, craftsmanship, etc.

As for applying to MAC I don't think not having a portfolio will lessen your chances because from what I hear you have like a makeup application interview (same thing with hairstyling but instead it's cutting/styling hair
smile.gif
).

galvanizer

thanks, so_siqqq. I knew about the duo interview (verbal and 'practical') so I wasn't sure how important the portfolio would be (since they'd see first hand what my skills were).

thx :p

lah_knee

ya i dont think having a portfolio is crucial when trying to get hired there. they have their own hiring process... im sure it wouldnt hurt to have one. but you would still have to do and demo and whatnot anyway
smiles.gif

Sweetdream

I'm just getting a new phone and the few pictures I did have were destroyed with my last phone. I have very few new pictures on my new phone. Do I have to have them printed or can I just leave them on my phone?

Thanks in advance