How Many Palettes Are Needed?

Mochahantas

I'm not a newbie to MAC however, I am a newbie collector of MAC.
mac_haul.gif

I would like to know, in your honest opinion, how many (empty) MAC palettes does one need? My goal is to have all the must-haves. I'm not trying to have every color in the rainbow, just the basics.

For example instead of 50-11 greens, I want a dark green, a regular green, and a lime green. Instead of having 15 blues, I would like a navy blue, a sea blue, a light blue, and a turquoise blue (just an example).

I'm thinking I need 2-3of the 15 palettes, but I'm unsure. What do you think?

gildedangel

Well if you want that many eyeshadows I would say around 3-5. You need to go through and plan how many you eventually want first, I would suggest growing your collection and buying more palettes as you go, especially with L/E eyeshadows.

TISH1124

Right...or just buy the palettes you need now plus maybe 1-2 extra...I always keept 2 extra just for growth....But then again you can always buy them as you need them...

Mochahantas

Thanks guys! I'm thinking of starting with three and then see where that goes. I just don't want to have tons and tons of stuff that I don't need.

ForgetRegret

With MAC, you'll never have tons and tons of stuff that you don't need...as you get deeper into your collecting, you'll realize that you need it ALL.

blindpassion

I started with one
ssad.gif

Now I have 11.
Its how the cookie crumbles lol.

(one for:
blues, teals, purples, highlights, neutrals 1, neutrals 2, yellows oranges pinks, blacks whites, greens, blushes 1, blushes 2)

MrsMay

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindpassion
I started with one
ssad.gif

Now I have 11.
Its how the cookie crumbles lol.

I'm with ya hun! I also started with one... and now I have 10 e/s palettes lol. (and two empty palettes for expansion
lol.gif
)

My excuse is that at least 4-5 of those are filled with pressed pigments
winkiss.gif

Tahti

I have 6, I decided to buy that many after sitting down for an entire day planning out was E/S shades I'd end up buying. Of course this has changed since then but whatever ;D I have a highlight palette, neutral palette, dark/brights, purples/pinks, blue/greens, and pressed pigments.

vocaltest

I'm very conservative and realistic with my MAC... i.e I only buy what I need/will use.
I have three palettes, one of which is full of eyeshadows I'm trying to sell. If I was you I would think out realistically what you are going to buy and actually use/what suits you instead of aiming for all must haves.
For example with me... one may say a must have colour is Deep Truth or Freshwater is a must have, but in reality, blue eyeshadow does not suit me at all... another example, some may say Woodwinked and All That Glitters are must haves, but they both go the most horrific disgusting colours on me. Just trynna save yer money
smiles.gif

Lapis

People plan their collection? wow
Truthfully I just buy what I like and buy palettes as needed, I try to keep 1 or 2 spares if I'm close to finishing a palette

erinmosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vocaltest
I'm very conservative and realistic with my MAC... i.e I only buy what I need/will use.
I have three palettes, one of which is full of eyeshadows I'm trying to sell. If I was you I would think out realistically what you are going to buy and actually use/what suits you instead of aiming for all must haves.
For example with me... one may say a must have colour is Deep Truth or Freshwater is a must have, but in reality, blue eyeshadow does not suit me at all... another example, some may say Woodwinked and All That Glitters are must haves, but they both go the most horrific disgusting colours on me. Just trynna save yer money
smiles.gif

i'm trying to start thinking this way too. i have 9 full palettes of eyeshadows (blues, greens, pinks, highlight/neutral, yellow/golds/oranges, purples, browns, two misc full ones) and i have come to realize i rarely ever use my blues/pinks/greens!

LMD84

i bought 3 15 pan shadow palettes from the pro line at the beggining of the year. 1 is filled with neautrals and the other 1 is filled with brights. the 3rd is not in use yet. but i also have 4 pre made quads - i have a highlighter quad, a blue quad, a purple quad and a green quad. these quads have my 4 faves from each colour group in them
smiles.gif
i actualy prefer quads because they have a see through lid so i know what is in them!

GlamQueen21

I own one so far and I have all the colors mixed up in them and will buy more palettes so that I can seprate them and do neutrals/browns, pinks, purples, blues, greens, teals, black/grays, yellows/oranges and highlights/whites.

ambicion6

I maximize my space with the palettes. I take out the little divider thingy and you can fit 21 instead of 15. some people don't like to do this bc there might be cross-spillage from the shadows since they are next to each other, but its nevery been a problem for me! just another thought in case you're trying to fill em up and save some $ at the same time.

FiestyFemme

For a good sized stash, I don't think you'd need more than 3 palettes. In reality, if you have a good color range with 45 eyeshadows, you should be able to create just about any look you like. I've currently got 3 full 15 pan palettes, and 4-5 quads. I've still got enough e/s in pots for probably 2 more palettes. It's honestly too much, IMO.

LoopyLoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambicion6
I maximize my space with the palettes. I take out the little divider thingy and you can fit 21 instead of 15. some people don't like to do this bc there might be cross-spillage from the shadows since they are next to each other, but its nevery been a problem for me! just another thought in case you're trying to fill em up and save some $ at the same time.

How do you get the divider things out, please
winkiss.gif
?

AudreyNicole

Right now, I have 3, and a few quads, and I am in desperate need of another 15 pan palette. I buy the 15 pan palletes one at a time, and always have an empty quad or 2 on hand. If I completely fill up a 15 PP, I use a quad as overflow, but once that gets filled, I know it's time to go and buy another 15 PP. If you are looking to keep a modest collection of the basics, you could just buy quads, and fill them with 4 of the same color family and call it a day. It's so hard with the amount of shadows that MAC puts out with LE collections.

AmiS4ys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapis
People plan their collection? wow
Truthfully I just buy what I like and buy palettes as needed, I try to keep 1 or 2 spares if I'm close to finishing a palette

Usually I'm the same way, but I basically revamped my whole collection and sold off a lot of items I never even touched prior to then. Ever since my sale, I've really considered how much I'd use a particular item. Its just a good idea esp. nowadays when everyone is trying to save some $$ here or there.