How much can I spend in the states for only being there for the day?

sugaxbayb

For somebody who goes to the states for a day from Canada to go to a CCO, Does one know how much they were able to bring back across the border? I cannot find anything telling me. I have like $300 to spend & it would be nice if I could spend like $200 but if I cant, ill understand. Damn border rules
ssad.gif
Im going on Saturday & we cant stay overnight. or for a length of time. Please help me!!

MsCuppyCakes

Oh my goodness! Depending on what CCO you plan on visiting. You should have someone call ahead for you to see what the have in stock. I go to the in Ontario, cute, California. The SA's are nice and don't mind when I call to see what they have in stock. I can easily spend $150 - take a look at my last purchase:http://www.specktra.net/showthread.php?t=69559

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaxbayb
For somebody who goes to the states for a day from Canada to go to a CCO, Does one know how much they were able to bring back across the border? I cannot find anything telling me. I have like $300 to spend & it would be nice if I could spend like $200 but if I cant, ill understand. Damn border rules
ssad.gif
Im going on Saturday & we cant stay overnight. or for a length of time. Please help me!!

eowyn797

er...the only CCO restriction is $300.
i doubt Canada restricts you any further when crossing back in.

neeshie

i have driven over the border from the us to canada a few times and i know that if you're canadian there is a limit.
I'm british so i've never had any restrictions.
Sorry i know thats not much help.
Do you have a customs website that you can check?

This may be a little cheeky...but if you're buying make up get rid of the packaging and put it in your purse...those 10 eyeshadows and lipsticks always live in your purse, right?
graucho.gif

sugaxbayb

I took your advice & it worked wonderfully but I still had the packaging, I bought a wallet for 26 so I declared that & was good
smiles.gif
I cant wait to go back though cause I only got $86 worth of MAC.

BlahWah

If you're staying 24 hrs., the limit is $250. For a week, I believe it's $700. Anything less than a day they have the right to tax you, but I've crossed over with $200 worth of purchases twice, shown the receipts for everything and not been asked to pay. 'Twas very happy as we left customs!

P.S. I'm in Ontario passing through Niagara.

Cinci

I know this is an old topic... but Just incase anyone is looking for this info...

I cross the Pigeon River border frequently (Thunder Bay, ON & Grand Portage MN) Things have gotten a bit stricter in the last year.. usually anything under $50 they don't want to waste their time with the paper work for..

but the official personal exemption amounts (current at the time of posting) are:

Less than 24 hours:
you aren't entitled to anything....

After each absence of 24 hours or more
You can claim up to CAN$50 worth of goods without paying any duties.

After each absence of 48 hours or more
You can claim up to CAN$400 worth of goods without paying any duties.

After each absence of 7 days or more
You can claim up to CAN$750 worth of goods without paying any duties.

And for those of you who like to order from the US...
if someone mails you an item worth CAN$20 or less, you don’t have to pay duty or taxes on the item. <-- But I've often recieved things that were marked with a higher value, up to $35 or so and not had to pay duty.. It all depends on the mood of the customs agent dealing with your package...

Cinci

NAFTA covers goods that were made in the US and are for "personal use"

If they meet that criteria, they are duty free...