How to file perfectly shaped nails?

MizzTropical

Does anyone have any good links or advice? I like a square shape with rounded edges.

Thanks
smiles.gif

gildedangel

I typically do a square shape where I just file perpendicularly to the finger. To get the "squoval" shape, just do that and carefully file the sides to the roundness you desire, being sure to not go too far and ruin it. I would use a crystal file as it has a finer grit and is (to me) easier to detail with. HTH!

Jinni

Something that helps me a lot is shaping the nails while I still have polish on. That way I don't get distracted by the white part of the nail.

trincess

shape the top parallel to the cuticle. that's very important, don't care about the shape of the nail line, it can be deceiving. While filing, turn your hand over and look from behind. That gives you an idea about the nail shape, too. Use a toe nail clipper to clip the top parallel to the cuticle line, then file with a glass/crystal file, always going in the same direction, not back and forth. Filing back and forth can damage your nail, causing it to split. Then round the edges using the file, they shape very easily. Phew, that was a lot =D

MizzTropical

What brand of glass/crystal file do you guys love? I need to purcahse one. I've always heard mixed reviews about them. I want to try one. Maybe something from Sally's?

BEA2LS

i got one of mine from sallys and the other from a gift shop while vacationing. i love them both
smiles.gif

MizzTropical

Thanks! I ended up buying a ruby crystal file from Sally's. It makes my nails look so good, I get that nice even straight across line I love with it and it doesn't file away a ton of my nail at once like reg. files do. It was like $2-3 too! So worth it!
smiles.gif