How to make a perfume last longer??

Veela

I bought some Harajuku Lovers Baby recently because I adored the scent in the store. Problem is, I can't get it to last longer than a half hour! Does anyone have any tips to make perfume last (short of dousing it all over)?

MzzRach

If the scent you like is also available in body products (i.e. lotion, shower gel) - layering the scent can really help it last longer.

hello_my_apple

i was told a long time ago that when you spray your perfume on your wrist or on your neck to not rub it in .. when you do that it conceals it and doesnt give it room to grow during the day! i hope that helps!

Swirlgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzzRach
If the scent you like is also available in body products (i.e. lotion, shower gel) - layering the scent can really help it last longer.

Or you can use an unscented lotion or Vaseline on your pulse points with the perfume layered on top to help it last.
Like Rach said, layering is key!

Veela

Quote:

I like that idea! I'll go to Sephora to see if they have a lotion as well. Thanks! =)

Veela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirlgirl
Or you can use an unscented lotion or Vaseline on your pulse points with the perfume layered on top to help it last.
Like Rach said, layering is key!

That's a good idea too! I think I'll actually try this one tomorrow since it won't cost anything! =)

roLLerGrrL

Layering your perfume definitely helps. If you don't have the official perfume moisturiser, just use a nice unscented moisturiser or body buttter.

Always put perfume on clean skin, & exfoliate once a week - arms, pulse point etc.

This is what I do:-

-Shower & pat dry (whilst keeping skin slightly damp)
-Rub moisturiser onto arms from wrist to elbow (unscented) & neck
-Let it sink in for a few minutes
-Spray perfume in sweep from wrist to inner elbow & another spray on neck

This helps my perfume last all day - even the pesky ones that seem to disappear quickly (usually the fruity ones on me).

Also remember that although some perfumes seem to disappear that they may still be there, you may just not smell it - get a friend to help you identify the fragrances that are still there.

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_my_apple
i was told a long time ago that when you spray your perfume on your wrist or on your neck to not rub it in .. when you do that it conceals it and doesnt give it room to grow during the day! i hope that helps!

I've read that you shouldn't rub your wrists together like many do because that crushes the molecules in the perfume and thereby makes the scent faint faster.

But yeah, whatever the reason, don't rub.
smiles.gif

Makeup Emporium

Spray the perfume on your hair. Sort of spray above your head and let it fall...seriously! Anyone who frequented the clubs when you could smoke in them knows that the hair holds the smell of smoke the longest. Change your clothes etc but you will still smell the smoke in your hair until you really wash it out. Same idea here...spray the hair!!

panda0410

^^I have to concur
winks.gif
My cousin taught me to do this when I was just 17 - she was in her 30s and she always - and I mean ALWAYS - smelt beautiful! As she walked past she would leave a waft of whatever fragrance she was wearing in her wake and people would comment as she walked by; she swore it was because she was spraying it in her hair, just a light mist, and she smelt gorgeous all day
smiles.gif
Now I do it too and it definitely makes the scent linger for much longer!

bellaboomboom

Gwen S. should have made lotions for the HL perfumes. I happen to love the G scent, but feel the same way, that it does not last.

InspiredBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makeup Emporium
Spray the perfume on your hair. Sort of spray above your head and let it fall...seriously! Anyone who frequented the clubs when you could smoke in them knows that the hair holds the smell of smoke the longest. Change your clothes etc but you will still smell the smoke in your hair until you really wash it out. Same idea here...spray the hair!!

But be careful about spraying perfume in your hair, because the alcohol in perfume is drying.
th_wink3.gif

bumblebees24

Quote:

I agree with MzzRach. Spray it in the air, and step into it so most of your body catches the mist. Or you can dab a bit on your wrist, nape of the neck, and behind the ear. To keep the scent on the wrist, layer it with lotion of similar scent to make it longer lasting.

Makeup Emporium

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredBlue
But be careful about spraying perfume in your hair, because the alcohol in perfume is drying.
th_wink3.gif

True alcohol is drying. That's why I spray above my head and let it fall so you just get very small amounts all over your hair. I've never had any problems and I do that daily and have been for many years!

BEA2LS

i use lotion, but not the exact same scent. i find most of the perfumed lotion does not leave the skin as soft as regular lotions do. i find a similar scent to layer with. i also spray on the nape of my neck, on the bottom of my hair line. this way it does not damage my hair but it does stay. what someone said was true, it lasts much longer than you will notice, so do not over spray right away.. other people probably smell it on you still.

MizzMelroseMood

Unless you spray so much in ur hair that ur choking people as u walk by them it's not going to dry ur hair out. I do it all the time, one spray at the top of ur head is enough. You can also spray ur brush lightly and brush it through ur hair.

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzMelroseMood
Unless you spray so much in ur hair that ur choking people as u walk by them it's not going to dry ur hair out. I do it all the time, one spray at the top of ur head is enough. You can also spray ur brush lightly and brush it through ur hair.

yea, that makes sense
smiles.gif
i think the underneath my hair thing is just something i like to do.. though that area is warmer so to me it makes it smell stronger.

i'm a smoker, so to be honest that's all my hair will smell like at the end of the day anyway.

miss_dre

I've read that spraying your perfume when you get out of the shower, right after toweling off, helps the smell last longer! That's what I do usually and I find that it helps. I've also read that the scents usually travel upwards, so spraying some on the back of your knees (I'm assuming this would only be practical if you're wearing a skirt or shorts), the small of your back, etc will help it I guess linger on for longer? Don't know for sure about that second one, but the first tip usually works well for me!