i dislike NARS

Rosalie1915

Yeah me too! but i guess Nars is really toxic and dangerous from a post linking to how bad your makeup is for you!! i was shocked but i agree!

MaskedBeauty

Hmmm.. I don't know?? I've never had a problem with my NARS. BUT then again I only have one duo (earth angel). lol. That is the only NARS product that I have. So maybe it is just hit or miss????

L1LMAMAJ

i'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one. too bad it didn't work for us. rosalie, which post linking are you referring to?

L1LMAMAJ

people hype NARS up a LOT and it's ridiculously expensive. i guess it's just not for everyone.
ssad.gif
sigh i really wanted to love it too.

belle89

I figure each cosmetic line has its stellar, standout products. For NARS, it's their blushes. If I want eyeshadow, I'd stick with MAC and other brands I like.

HeatherLouWho

I think that there are some things that are great and other things that are decidedly less than great. I have a lot of NARS shadows duos and palettes that I love. They are pigmented and blend easily. But I know of a few shadows I did not like. For example, the 9947 palette was a total miss for me as several of the colors were not very pigmented. Also, the shadows in the Emotional Rescue palette were exactly how you described- chalky and difficult to blend. And the cream shadows crease horribly. So, like any line, NARS has it's strong and weak points, but I think that their strong points are really strong.

Temptasia

Hey L1LMAMAJ!

Sorry to hear the eyeshadows have not worked for you. I've seen your FOTDs and you definitely know how to blend and make your MAC shadows work. Strangely, I feel the same way about MAC shadows as you do with NARS shadows...I can't seem to make them work on me.

Perhaps it comes down to what we think looks good and what appeals to our own sense of makeup style....and not necessarily a reflection of the quality of the products.

I can't say all NARS shadows are great, some work and some don't...like with any brand. I like how NARS experiments with different textures to really push the boundaries of what makeup should be like. In a strange way, I respect that.

I think the value/prices of makeup and beauty products in general are ridiculously getting out of hand these days. Seems like every brand wants to be a luxury brand...marketing strategies hyping till our pockets are empty.

I still buy what I love and what works for me. I hope everyone finds what they are happy spending their hard earned money on.
smiles.gif

MaskedBeauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1LMAMAJ
people hype NARS up a LOT and it's ridiculously expensive. i guess it's just not for everyone.
ssad.gif
sigh i really wanted to love it too.

I do agree that it is really expensive.
thmbdn.gif

L1LMAMAJ

thanks for the replies ladies. i really appreciate the feedback!!

yes i agree with many of you that each makeup brand has their stand-out products. i wanted to have a diverse makeup stash with different brands, different finishes, different colors so i tend to experiment with different makeup brands a lot. i do find that the NARS blushes are super blendable. i wonder if their eyeshadow formula is a lot different than their blushes (they're both powder products and you can essentially use eyeshadows as blushes and vice versa). i'm happy that other people can seem to make the NARS eyeshadows work but I think I'm gonna give it another go before I sell my NARS stuff. Is anyone else annoyed with the rubber packaging? Eyeshadow residue always finds it way on there and never wants to come off!

Rosalie1915

Oh um it is a website called "http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/" and it tells you how dangerous your makeup is and what it can cause, it's scary!!

pokiedot

So you only have a palette and a duo by which you judge the entire line? Were you planning to mention which palette and which duo? There are shades in the line (in every line) that are formulated to be sheer, matte, sparkly, shimmery, metallic, etc. Perhaps you're expecting the wrong results with the shades you have selected.

I think you should eliminate either the UDPP or the Paint pot and try again. I'm not sure why you would need two bases anyway. If eyeshadow doesn't stay on long enough without them, I would just reapply at some point during the day. Honestly, in 30 years of wearing makeup, I have found so few "chalky and unblendable" eyeshadows outside of the drugstore that I tend to chalk up comments like this to user error and not to the products themselves. (sorry for the pun, couldn't resist
winks.gif
) Having UDPP AND Paint Pot underneath can make it more difficult to apply and blend than if you had neither. If the UDPP/Paint pot combo is the least bit tacky then it's going to make the shadow less blendable. Which of course, has nothing to do with the NARS eyeshadow.

cuddlybear

Each to their own I guess. Few years ago I hated Nars eyeshadows too, same as you, I think they were chalky and unblendable. But I gave it another try a year ago, seems like they have revamped their formula a bit and I fell in love with them.

Not my first choice eyeshadow still(I love my Stila/ UD best), but they have some interesting new colors, I'd still buy Nars.

Temptasia

I hate the rubber packaging too. Once in awhile I have to moist wipe my collection.

I don't like most of the palettes except for the Best eyeshadow palette.

It's true they have been reformulating their shadows...I am not a fan of the ones with the large chunky glitter...but I do like the ones with a veluxe pearl texture to them.

I think that NARS eyeshadows need to applied with a fairly dense brush and patted on in a rolling motion for more intensity. I'll even use my fingers to blend and soften the edges sometimes. It's easy to overblend NARS shadows. The Night series eyeshadows definitely need a creamy base to allow the sparkles to stick.

Another tip I would suggest is wetting your brush for more intensity. Yes, the shadows can be used wet or dry!

RedRibbon

When I don't want a lot of colour I use a dry brush and apply it in a patting and swiping motion and when I want intense colours I use a wet brush.

NARS shadows are quite easy to work with but I find that because the blushes are so pigmented, people expect the shadows to be the same. They are pigmented as far as shadows go, you just need a bit of experience with them
smiles.gif

jennifer.

Quote:
Is anyone else annoyed with the rubber packaging? Eyeshadow residue always finds it way on there and never wants to come off!

a non-oil based or non-oily makeup remover used with a cotton pad will take it right off. i tried it on one of my nars blushes and it looked good as new! someone on here recommended that a long time ago and it works perfect.

MaskedBeauty

Quote:

Is anyone else annoyed with the rubber packaging? Eyeshadow residue always finds it way on there and never wants to come off!

Ahhh... YES!!!! I have that problem too! SO annoying!!!!
angry.gif

chocolategoddes

I find NARS eyeshadows to be either so silky and creamy to where they crease very easily, or very flaky and chalky.
I'll stick with their blushes and lipsticks.

And my NARS packaging looks so dirty and gross right now.

L1LMAMAJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokiedot
So you only have a palette and a duo by which you judge the entire line? Were you planning to mention which palette and which duo? There are shades in the line (in every line) that are formulated to be sheer, matte, sparkly, shimmery, metallic, etc. Perhaps you're expecting the wrong results with the shades you have selected.

I think you should eliminate either the UDPP or the Paint pot and try again. I'm not sure why you would need two bases anyway. If eyeshadow doesn't stay on long enough without them, I would just reapply at some point during the day. Honestly, in 30 years of wearing makeup, I have found so few "chalky and unblendable" eyeshadows outside of the drugstore that I tend to chalk up comments like this to user error and not to the products themselves. (sorry for the pun, couldn't resist
winks.gif
) Having UDPP AND Paint Pot underneath can make it more difficult to apply and blend than if you had neither. If the UDPP/Paint pot combo is the least bit tacky then it's going to make the shadow less blendable. Which of course, has nothing to do with the NARS eyeshadow.

I use UDPP and a paint pot under all my eyeshadows. I don't have time to reapply eyeshadow during the day so i use extra "security." I have very oily lids and I find blending to be easier with two bases. Every other brand that I've used and liked (MAC, NYX, The Balm, Stila) works BETTER under my two bases. I use two because it works for me. If you were to tell me that you use 3 bases and it works for u, then props to you. It just depends on the person.

Yes I only have a palette and a duo but NO i am not judging the entire line based on those two eyeshadows. I have used other duos from them that have different finishes and I am still not satisfied with them. I've only kept the palette and the duo because they were my "favorite" amongst the other NARS stuff that I used to have but gave away...In my opinion, I have tried enough NARS eyeshadows to be able to make that kind of opinion about it.

I'm happy to hear that in your 30 years of using makeup, you only find a few that are chalky and unblendable. Maybe it's because I have very high standards when it comes to makeup and I'm always on the hunt to find my HG items.