I just don't get my skin

euphrosyne_rose

Since I hit 30, I feel like my skin on my face has just been on one huge roller coaster. Before, I was able to stick with the same routine for years and years and it worked for me. Between 29 and 30 it was like my skin decided it needed to be like a contrary teenager. I'm 32 now and the past year I'd say has been especially up and down. I hit good months and then crappy ones like the past month. I know there's so many things than can be a factor so it's hard for me to "diagnose" the problem but the one major issue I have lately is my skin being just more dry than it used to be. About 6 months ago I came across Philosophy's Cleansing Balm in the tube at Ulta and it worked magic. My skin felt more smooth, supple and hydrated but I figured once the weather got warmer I'd probably need something a little less moisturizing. When that ran out, it was alot warmer outside so I decided to go with something else and got the Boscia Makeup Breakup cleansing oil and Philosophy's HIAJ (that's actually in the tube for normal/dry skin) and so far nothing seems to be doing that well and on top of that, not only is my skin dry and flaky, but I've been breaking out in several places on my face where before I didn't. Thankfully these aren't super red or super noticeable and seem to be covered pretty well with m/u but I've also noticed that around my chin going out partially to my jaw line I've got a lot of small, fine bumps too. I did just restart BC b/c I had to skip it last month so I'm about a week away from my period but this has happened to me before without me breaking out like this. I don't know if it's the moisturizer, the BC, a combo of both or what and it's driving me nuts. This has only been within the last 2 weeks b/c before, my skin wasn't breaking out at all. I got a Caudalie kit to try last time I was in Sephora but I'm afraid of making it worse. I'm at my wit's end on what to do!!!

Ew. I'm sorry you're having skin issues. I feel your pain. I can tell you that the Boscia Makeup Breakup is certainly not doing your skin any favors. At all. Stop using it. Menthol and Eucalyptus oil? Can you say 'irritation'?

Redness and bumps? Sounds like your skin has developed hyper-sensitivity and you need super gentle products. I recommend Boots Expert Sensitive Cleansing Lotion, Clinique's Take The Day Off, or CeraVe Hydrating cleanser.

If you use a Clarisonic to cleanse your skin, I recommend you stop using that for a while as well. If not, just make sure to be super gentle when you're using a washcloth.

Grab some Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture for Sensitive Skin, Skin Recovery Moisturizer for Dry Skin by Paula's Choice, or some good old Olay Regenerist for moisture.

For the breakouts, Neutrogena has a great product with their Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-In-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment.

You need skincare that is formulated without drying or irritating agents, is ph-balanced, and is in the correct packaging to support the active ingredients.

euphrosyne_rose

Wow, thanks for the recommendations! I stopped using the Boscia and I don't use a Clairosonic. I don't even use a washcloth that often b/c when I do it too much, it seems to make the skin even more dry so I try to only do it like once a week. I've used the Clinique Take the Day Off before and always liked it but I had always wondered if it could be used alone as a cleanser or if it was just for m/u removal. I'll give some of those a try. Where do you get Paula's Choice at? I haven't seen that anywhere that I can think of.

Mabelle

If you have the caudalie cleanser that would be fine for your skin, won't strip it, won;t irritate it, its lovely for even the most sensitive skins.

euphrosyne_rose

It's been awhile since I've been on here!! Anyway, I tried Paula's Choice and actually almost immediately saw a clearing to my skin but after using it for the past 3 months, I'm starting to have some minor issues again. I was using the 1% BHA lotion and after awhile, it seemed like possibly it was making some small bumps get worse. I stopped using it except for every few days and saw a better result but now my skin seems more dry. I probably can attribute that to the cooler weather. I almost hate to change what I'm using, but I also don't like having to order what I'm using from her products instead of being able to go out and buy it when I need it.

Modmom

I just wanted to let you know that acne in your 30s is very common. The number one reason....stress. Women in their 30s are trying to balance family, work, life and everything else. I see it all the time in our clinic (I'm a medical esthetician).

euphrosyne_rose

I just wanted to let you know that acne in your 30s is very common. The number one reason....stress. Women in their 30s are trying to balance family, work, life and everything else. I see it all the time in our clinic (I'm a medical esthetician).
Thanks! I always forget that we can blame stress for so many things. Thankfully my skin has calmed itself down for the time being but I also think part of my problem is the constant search for that "perfect" product and I think I need to just stay focused on what I know works for me.