I know nothing about Hair coloring

rosasola1

So I need desperately some advice from you knowledgeable peeps
smiles.gif

Okay, So I have always said that when the day comes where I become a MAC permanent employee I would go Red. I mean Really Red. like this...

l_eac72d8c1ea85a5540fbb6d9b9c9cbaa.jpg

(Vestige Photography)

And That day is around the corner! I am now an 18 hr MAC employee!!! The thing is that my hair color right now is black, but even worse is that it's dyed black. My natural hair color is dark dark brown.

Now the question is, how can I go from This ....
100_1376-1.jpg

to the previous picture.

Thank you so much everyone!! I greatly appreciate any advice!
smiles.gif

TISH1124

Thats a really pretty red!!! I have no clue...but i wanted to just say that...But you look beautiful with Black hair as well...

Little Addict

um ... I would tell you to just ask your stylist for a true red since my hair color's actually like that now (a little faded, but that's to be expected) but since your hair is dyed black, it's kinda hard to take it out. I would ask your stylist about what the options are first.

rosasola1

yea, that's what I thought too but the prob is that I don't have a hair stylist. No one has touched my hair since I was 10 but me.

TISH1124

There are quite a few Hairstylist and people that work at salons that will be able to guide you I'm sure...I think Vocalest (caroline) went from Black to red at one point

Mabelle

First, congrats on the MAC Position.
Second; i would HIGHLY suggestion going to a salon. Go somewhere that will do a colour removal or strip the colour rather than bleach it. Colour removal is less damaging to your hair. Your hair will come out reddish, and then they'll apply the red dye.
Please note that red dye is a pain in the ass and require a LOT of upkeep. The first couple times you dye your hair (after the colour removal) it'll fade super fast because your colour has nothing to stick to. After about 2 times, it'll stick better. Use professional dies as they last long. Use shampoos for coloured hair (i believe Matrix makes one specifically for red hair). And shampoo as little as possible.

You can do a colour removal at home, but if you screw up, it can go really baldy. The product you would use is called colour oops.

After you do a colour removal you'll need to do many deep conditioning treatments and maybe some protein treatments, depending on how your hair takes to the removal. My hair ended up brittle and dry (it had also been severely abused) and am doing treatments every week, if not more.

I suggest to shell out the money (for the first time at least) and go to a professional. From then on, you can prob. find a colour at sally's to do at home!

Shimmer

If you want to keep your hair, I wouldn't suggest t hat you try t his yourself.

I'd honestly start with some red chunks through out, and gradually add more and more.

Aremisia

I agree that it would be best to either gradually add red in the form of chunks, or to get it professionally done. Either way, for sure go to a pro the first time. When I put pink streaks in my dark dark brown-dyed black hair the bleach took really unevenly. It would have been a disaster at home.
And just in case it becomes an insurmountable obstacle, you look great with your current hair!
smiles.gif

ShortnSassy

as a hairstylist, i will tell you that since you don't really know alot about hair color, getting this professionally done is the only way you're going to get results like in the picture and even then it's going to be a process.

it will probably require stripping the color, bleaching your entire head and then applying a red color probably a few times. and red fades the fastest... if you want to keep it that vibrant, you will probably have to recolor anywhere between every 2 to 4 weeks.

i would recommend looking into manic panic haircolor as it's less damaging and you can get vibrant results, but it's not permanent and you should still go to a professional to at least get the bleaching portion done.

although it's going to take awhile, just remember that it's totally worth it... and i know it's going to look amazing on you! congrats on the position and go rock that red!

BeautyizPain

hi there...well i did the same thing i was a dyed black and tryed to go that bright red on my own and lets just say it didnt work out...turns out that black dye is really hard to get out of your hair so they will have to strip it and then dye it red....I SUGGEST GETTING THIS PROFESSIONALLY DONE
smiles.gif

its too involved and precise and besides you dont want to play with bleach in your hair ...good luck!

clslvr6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortnSassy
as a hairstylist, i will tell you that since you don't really know alot about hair color, getting this professionally done is the only way you're going to get results like in the picture and even then it's going to be a process.

it will probably require stripping the color, bleaching your entire head and then applying a red color probably a few times. and red fades the fastest... if you want to keep it that vibrant, you will probably have to recolor anywhere between every 2 to 4 weeks.

i would recommend looking into manic panic haircolor as it's less damaging and you can get vibrant results, but it's not permanent and you should still go to a professional to at least get the bleaching portion done.

although it's going to take awhile, just remember that it's totally worth it... and i know it's going to look amazing on you! congrats on the position and go rock that red!

I completely agree! There is a girl that comes in once every other week to get red just like this brightened up. I use Pravana Vivids in Red.
Pravana Vivids is my favorite line for funky colors.
It's going to take some time, if you don't want major damage with bleach.

aggrolounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortnSassy

In my experience this is all accurate! And you definitely will have to bleach. It will help hold the red and get it to the right level. I'd make sure either you or a professional assess the health of your hair before you do all this too! I just went from burgandy to blonde and my hair is fried! Lmao. But congrats on your new job!

Hikaru-chan

Since your hair is dyed black you will need to use a color remover, bleach or probably both.
To get that shade of red I would reccomend Special Effects in Devilish.