I need advice - EXTREMELY frustrated with my counter manager job

colorlvr

So, today, 3 people quit in our cosmetics department - 2 CMs (Clinique and Estee Lauder) and one part-timer (Estee Lauder). Our Clinique CM walked off the job, so today, I spent the whole day (practically) behind the Clinique counter ringing people out and digging around in drawers trying to find everyones stuff. UGH....

Meanwhile, MY counter (Lancome) sat unattended while I horsed around over at Clinique helping people.

In my store, we have Clinique, Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden and Lancome. I am the CM for Lancome - and that counter has been neglected with no staff for almost a year before I took it over a month ago. I have soo much work to do - we are in presale, and I also have to acheive my daily goals, plus I am in the midst of a Fall color event, plus a phone campaign for presale - not to mention the stock issues and inventory management that I am dealing with.

Clinique is a thriving, constantly busy counter, so the fact that there is only one person there now is nervewracking. The fact that Estee Lauder is losing ALL their staff in 2 weeks adds insult.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can keep my counter a priority without completely turning my back on the customers that are waiting for Clinique? I am supposed to be calling clients for presale, and I didn't get a chance to make one call because I was too busy with the other counter, not to mention the fact that when MY counter is not busy, I am expected to get out in the store and recruit people back to my counter - how can I do that when I can't get away from Clinique??

I am sure this will all get better once they get the empty positions filled, but in the meantime.... how do I survive my presale and GWP season with all this going on??

Do I have to be sneaky? Do I dare recruit Clinique back to my counter? I am too nice, so I need advice on how to be sneaky without getting caught or fired.

Thanks in advance.

SpaJeweler

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorlvr
So, today, 3 people quit in our cosmetics department - 2 CMs (Clinique and Estee Lauder) and one part-timer (Estee Lauder). Our Clinique CM walked off the job, so today, I spent the whole day (practically) behind the Clinique counter ringing people out and digging around in drawers trying to find everyones stuff. UGH....

Meanwhile, MY counter (Lancome) sat unattended while I horsed around over at Clinique helping people.

In my store, we have Clinique, Estee Lauder, Elizabeth Arden and Lancome. I am the CM for Lancome - and that counter has been neglected with no staff for almost a year before I took it over a month ago. I have soo much work to do - we are in presale, and I also have to acheive my daily goals, plus I am in the midst of a Fall color event, plus a phone campaign for presale - not to mention the stock issues and inventory management that I am dealing with.

Clinique is a thriving, constantly busy counter, so the fact that there is only one person there now is nervewracking. The fact that Estee Lauder is losing ALL their staff in 2 weeks adds insult.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can keep my counter a priority without completely turning my back on the customers that are waiting for Clinique? I am supposed to be calling clients for presale, and I didn't get a chance to make one call because I was too busy with the other counter, not to mention the fact that when MY counter is not busy, I am expected to get out in the store and recruit people back to my counter - how can I do that when I can't get away from Clinique??

I am sure this will all get better once they get the empty positions filled, but in the meantime.... how do I survive my presale and GWP season with all this going on??

Do I have to be sneaky? Do I dare recruit Clinique back to my counter? I am too nice, so I need advice on how to be sneaky without getting caught or fired.

Thanks in advance.

Wow, I feel your dilemma. I have worked for Corporate America all my life so bear in mind that I will bring that perspective into my reply.

As well, I currently am employed part-time in a service job where like you, I am running around in a 1000 different directions (and I am the ultimate multitasker
smiles.gif

The question I have about servicing the Clinique counter as well as performing your Lancome duties, isn't this something to bring up with your manager(s)? It would seem to me that if you were hired for the Lancome counter that Lancome needs to take precedence. You are only one person and you cannot be two places at one time. Something has to give before some major snafu happens. Surely your manager will be understanding about the situation you're facing. Also, can someone from Elizabeth Arden help out?

Sad to say, I think no matter what industry you're working in these days, employees are being stretched to the max, so don't feel like you're alone in that regard. The only thing you can do is to try to be proactive in finding a workable solution.

Hope this helps or sparks some ideas for you.

Sincerely,

Spa Jeweler

SpaJeweler

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorlvr

Thanks in advance.

Also, why are these people walking off the job? Just asking. Don't get any ideas!

Spa Jeweler

Nzsallyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaJeweler
The question I have about servicing the Clinique counter as well as performing your Lancome duties, isn't this something to bring up with your manager(s)? It would seem to me that if you were hired for the Lancome counter that Lancome needs to take precedence. You are only one person and you cannot be two places at one time. Something has to give before some major snafu happens. Surely your manager will be understanding about the situation you're facing. Also, can someone from Elizabeth Arden help out?

totaly agree. you were hired to work for lancome, not the other counters. its the stores job to sort out staff if there is short staffing, not you to be in two places at once. you need to bring it up with your manager of the store/area, and insist its sorted immediately, as you will be neglecting your counter, and your counter sales, and you will be told if targets arent reached, even though it was out of your control

colorlvr

Thanks guys... as far as "why" people are quitting....

There has been a lot of tension at our counters lately because the sales goals aren't being made and our store manager, having just had a visit from her district managers, has been a raving b!tch about it. Also, we all got written up a couple weeks ago for not acheiving our credit goal (meaning, we didn't open up enough new credit card accounts for people) and that didn't sit well with ANY of us. I don't think its fair to write an employee up because of the choices the CONSUMER is making. If we are at least offering the new charge accounts, then I feel that we are doing our job.

So, these are things people have been complaining about at work, and I am assuming had a lot to do with people leaving.

You had mentioned the Arden girl helping out - she has told a select few that work there that she is looking for another job. So, she may be next. And my part timer at Lancome - her days are numbered also because she has been suspected of stealing and she is constantly late, and she takes too much time off.

You had mentioned talking to the store manager - well, she is on vacation this week - and hasn't shown her face, even in light of all the action... I'll be interested in how she handles the situation when she comes back.

I'll keep this thread updated with any new happenings. I am off work today - thank goodness! That place is driving me nuts. I love working with makeup and Lancome has been a wonderful company to work for, but working for the department store itself has been a bit tricky.

Ruby_Woo

Seriously that department store needs to hire oncalls to fill spots. You are counter manager for Lancome and that is your priority, if Clinique needs help well sorry to say but tough s**t dude. Its not your job, its not what you were hired for. That is what the department manager gets payed for, and she is obviously not doing her job. If I were you, I wouldn't go to Clinique and help, then they'll just expect you to.

bananarchy

I feel your frustration! We are having the same issues at the Clinique counter I work next to and one of the girls there can be a total flake. I help when I can but your counter has to be a priority. Here is a phrase and I suggest you learn it well: "I'm sorry since I work for Lancome, I don't honestly know enough about those products to help you. If you would like me to show you something similar to what you are looking for in my line I would be glad to do so."

If the store sees the number drop enough for that counter maybe they will get he idea that getting someone over there is a priority. I hate that Clinique is doing so well in the recession because of the price point and all the girl knows how to do is pi$$ away her business while the rest of us are hurting! (I'm my case, not a blanket statement, don't draw and quarter me Clinique Consultants!!)

gildedangel

Yes, you were hired to work for Lancome, not Clinique. I understand that everyone is being stretched but the Clinique counter is not your job. Don't help them if you are busy, bring in your own customers and meet your sales goals. I know that meeting goals in sales is tough without a recession, so you need to stop being nice to the other counters and focus on your job. Good luck, keep us updated!
smiles.gif

KimmyAnn_678

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarchy
If the store sees the number drop enough for that counter maybe they will get he idea that getting someone over there is a priority.

A similar situation has been going on in our store, but not to this extent. We've been without a Clinique and a Lauder employee since basically the beginning of the year. And with only 1 other Lauder employee, the counter has taken a major hit (and compounding the issue is that that position has been held by at least 3 different employees in the last 1 1/2 years, so there has been no stability). So the one poor employee has only had sporadic help the last 2 gifts from Lauder on call MUA, but instead of realizing that they needed to buckle down and actually hire someone, they cut the hours of that slot by more than 20 (which is how I got hired! Part time with 15 hours/week Blah).

Back to the OP, I would defiantely let your AC know what's going on. And I would defaintely use this as a chance to recruit new clients, why not! Those customers that are looking for a new lipstick, eyeshadow, starting new skin care, why not let them know you have the perfect color/product at Lancome for them, and in fact, you're having a gift soon.

Talk to your Area Manager/Store Manager/HR and see what they are doing... maybe Clinique and Lauder could send in some people to help out, so someone should contact them if they haven't already.

Good luck!

SmokeSignal16

Yeah that's a bunch of f*cking crock they wrote you up over how many credit cards ya'll didn't open! I work for Macy's (I can't remember if you did too?) and they have been the WORST company to work for as of late. I know they can't fire you over not opening credit cards because as long as you ask they can't touch you. My cosmetic department has been the same way as of late too with people almost wanting to walk out and all that craziness. I work for Clinique (don't worry I didn't take offence to anything lol) and I know what your going through. Our area is very understaffed so even though I work for Clinique I get stuck at Lancome or at Lauder because I'm the only person who knows everything about everyone's stuff in the whole department so they abuse me pretty much. So I'm helping them out and it's like wth I have numbers to make in my line too! I honestly think it's Macys trying to cut corners where they can and their probably freaking out because they arent making their numbers. I would inform your AC and AE about what is going on so they can maybe try to do an intervention and get people behind Clinique so your business doesn't suffer but yeah if any try and convert people, people like free stuff so thats always a good plus your about to have gift. Hope all is well with ya keep us updated!

colorlvr

Hey y'all!

What can I say... we are still short the three people that quit. I am now in gift, and the competition going on is fierce. When the other girls were in gift, I HELPED them out. On the contrary, now that I am in gift, it almost seems like the other counters are jealous and are more competitive than ever.

We have a very overbearing personality in the mix, and she is causing a lot of trouble.... I could go on and on about this... perhaps another day when I have more time.

Anyhow - its just nuts in the cosm department right now. I am trying to keep my head above water.

Does anyone have any advice for how to handle a domineering personality type? (she is the CM at a neighboring counter) She is bossy, overbearing, fiercely competitive (insults the other lines or associates whenever she gets the opportunity) and it seems like ALL the girls are sick of her, so its not just me.

SmokeSignal16

I say ya'll schedule a meeting where you can all meet and address this in front of your manager and with her there too so you can all voice that so maybe she can take a hint she's being too much.