I think it's time.... for a hair cut :(

UndeadSuburbia

Hey everyone. I thought I would ask all of your advice. I know it's time for a hair cut, but honestly I'm terrified of going to a salon. I've had really bad experiences.

Pretty much my hair is VERY thick. So much that most hairstylists I've dealt with complained about it while cutting it.
ssad.gif
One of the last time I went and got it done I went back the next day cause it wasn't how I wanted it (I just wanted a little more taken off, all I was getting was a trim, and I was ok with paying for it) and she told me flat out that my hair was too difficult and she wouldn't do it. The last time I was at a salon was about 3 years ago. The last time I had my hair cut in general was by a friend. I only wanted a little taken off as a trim and she cut it all right to my chin.
ssad.gif
(It was past my shoulders at the time)

So as you can see I don't really do well with hairdressers. But now my hair is so long and thick I really need to take care of it. Also because it's so thick and heavy I have resorted to cutting some of it myself. (You can't tell when it's down or in a pony tail but I'm sure I'll get questions from the hairdresser) What I'm asking is what should I ask for when I go so it's much more manageable? I'm also interested in a new style. I would like to keep as much length as I can but I don't mind if a couple inches go. Also what should I do if the make comments? Do I have a right to say something? Are there certain types of salons that might be better? Thanks so much for any help.
smiles.gif

Here is a recent pic of me:
kittenshaul002-1.jpg

chynegal

i have thick hair also and if they where a good hair dresser they should be able to work with any type of hair,length, and thickness.....i would say u should get your hair razor cut it will ad more body to it also

starbucksmocha

That's completely ridiculous that your hair is "too difficult for her to work with" - you are paying for the haircut, it's her job not yours to do what you are asking for! If you receive comments like this (which are completely rude and unprofessional in my opinion) you should speak to whoever is in charge after your haircut.
As for what type of cut, I think that something with lots of layers would be great! My hair can tend to get really heavy and thick when it grows longer (ie, below my shoulders) or when my layers grow out, but it is fine when shorter and with layers so it doesn't 'drag' so much and sits nicer.
Something shorter, for sure, because then it won't be so heavy.
Hope this helps
smiles.gif

UndeadSuburbia

I appreciate the suggestions. I don't really want it too short. I was hoping to keep it at my shoulders. Or would that not work. Also does anyone know of any good sites for hairstyles? I tried googling but all the ones I found had a lot of pop up ads. :p

chynegal

Type in long hair styles or short hair styles or is there anyone specfic u like there hair cut

starbucksmocha

If you want to keep it longer (ie at your shoulders or longer), you can still get layers to help it not be so heavy and thick and help it sit nicer.
smiles.gif

tarnii

I have really thick/curly/wavy (yes both) hair and I find long layers work the best. It avoids the lovely triangle effect I get when it is all the same length and still gives me the flexibility to wear it up. I do have no choice but to use product in it though. If I didn't use moisturisers or serums it would just be one big frizzy mess. I hope you find something that works for you.

dirtball

as a hair dresser, i do sometimes comment when people have an extraordinary amount of hair, but never in a negative way, i usually joke that they should share the wealth (because i have thin fine hair) and we laugh about it. if your stylist isnt joking around, but saying it to you in a hurtful way...say what you want to say. you have every right to tell them to stop, and leave in the middle of the haircut and go somewhere else. say youre not comfortable with them continuing the cut, dont pay for it, and leave after telling the manager. a hairdresser should be able to execute any cut or style properly, some times with advice from coworkers, or at the very least should have a fellow stylist they can politely recommend you to instead. maybe they hadnt had much practice and werent confident in doing the cut. look at it this way....if they didnt know how, at least they told you and let you leave. what if they just cut it anyway and did a terrible job? wouldnt you be even more upset then?

if i were in your situation, and they obviously knew how but were just being lazy and said some stupid comment about your hair being thick or complaining about it, id say something like "well then its a good thing doing hair isnt like... part of your job or anything".

i hate lazy ignorant hair dressers.

a lot of clients calling to book appointments at my salon ask to be booked with a stylist who specializes/is experienced in their type of hair. most commonly thick, long, curly, or very coarse hair. try doing that when you call!