I wanna go blonde!!! Help?

GirlyDork

So I've been really interested in going blonde lately. I'm just trying to figure out if it will work for me or not, or what shade would be best. This is hard because I naturally have dark eyebrows, but I was blonde as a toddler. I was wondering if anyone could help me? Here are some pictures of me:

P7170002.jpg

DisplayImageashx.jpg

Photo22-2.jpg

PA170015.jpg

Here I am dressed up as Lady Gaga for Halloween, with a blonde wig:
PA300004.jpg

Please tell me what you think I should do. Thanks in advance!!!

LMD84

my natural hair is a slightly lighter brown than yhours and i get highlights as you can see in my avatar or any fotd's i have posted. i think highlights would look good on you!

Meisje

If you were blonde as a kid, that's the shade/tone of blonde that will work best on you. When you go in to get it done, take a well-lit pic from back then.

Maybe try heavy highlights before allover dye.

User38

I would look at your skin more -- it is pink based? are you an NC or an NW?

If you want to go blonde, the allover color which I think would look great on your would be a light honey blonde.. or a light golden/reddish blonde. Either one with more highlights. I think the gold and reddish tones make light skin look softer. And, you have the piercing blue eyes -- think Nicole Kidman color or Scarlett Johanssen. I think you will look great!

GirlyDork

In response to HerGreyness: I think my skin is more NW. How much do you think that changes the best shade of blonde on me?

Thank you all for your kind and helpful responses!!!
greengrin.gif

My blonde hair as a kid was probably best described as a darker golden blonde, maybe even a bit honey-ish. It just kept getting darker as I got older, and naturally it's medium brown now (not particularly dark or light).

Roughly how often would I need to get my roots touched up if I go blonde?

LMD84

it depends how fast your hair grows really. mine doesn't grow quickly so i can last about 10-12 weeks before getting my highlights done again.
smiles.gif

MUALindsay

I'm a natural dark blonde/light brown and am usually blonde.
smiles.gif
I go back to dark (med. brown) every few years, just to get my highlights out and redone, because after time, basically you're ALL blonde even with highlights, unless you just do a few.

I get 2 colors, the lightest blonde highlight she has and 1 or 2 shades up from that, depending on how blonde I want (usually lighter for summer).

Since you are a cooler skintone, I suggest a cooler, more ashy blonde. You might look a bit funny with golden blonde hair.
smiles.gif

Oh and you can see, I have dark eyebrows, too.
smiles.gif
I fill them in with Fling & Lingering, or Omega & Wedges shadows. Lighter color in the main part and darker on the tail, as my hair there is BLONDE.

I will usually go before a special occasion, so if I know I have one coming up, I'll spread out my highlights. I got married June 13th, so I had my hair highlighted June 10th, and was in a wedding on Oct 10th, so I had my hair done Oct 6th. That was 17 weeks apart, so I had them done in the middle, around Aug 4th. About 8 weeks each way. My next appointment is Dec 2nd. So I go about every 8-10 weeks. My avatar/profile pic (which is larger) was taken Oct 31, or 3 1/2 weeks post highlight. More pics on my blog, too.
smiles.gif

Most hair grows about 1/2"/month. If you dye your hair, I'd do the roots more often, but with highlights it's less noticable and blends in a bit more.

Good luck and post pics if you decide to do it!!!

User38

I think your idea of going blonde is a good one.. just make sure your skin tone will work with the new colors as it is difficult to judge from your pic and only you can see up close what your skin will bear.

If you are still unsure, go to a wig shop and try on a few wigs in different shades of blonde -- that way you will be able to determine if you still want blonde and what shade of blonde looks best
smiles.gif

BEA2LS

i think blonde would look great on you!
smiles.gif
your eyebrows are so dark, my friend is a natural blonde but darker eyebrows and actually darker eyes, too and she looks great!
my natural color is probably around the same as yours and i have been dying it white blonde (from home, no bleach) for years.. but my hair easily takes to blonde and my eyebrows are very light.
you can gradually go lighter to see if you would like it. let us know what you decide
smiles.gif

clslvr6spd

I think a warmer blonde, such as honey with platinum highlights would be good fit for you.
Just a side note, when I hate pure white platinum blonde hair I would bleach my eyebrows with Sally Hansen eyebrow bleach.

ashk36

I have a question for the blondes here: how do you keep your hair from feeling dry and frizzy when you go blonde? I got highlights a couple months ago, and then went lighter with the rest of my hair. My roots are getting a bit out of control and I want to keep this color (it's a golden blonde, I looove the color), but I don't want to fry my hair. What do you all use to keep your hair feeling healthy?

banana1234

deep conditioners and serums etc, to reply to the above comment, i'm english, so you may not be able to get what i get over here but kerastase or fudge are good brands for intensive conditioners or masks

GirlyDork

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrGrndM99
I'm a natural dark blonde/light brown and am usually blonde.
smiles.gif
I go back to dark (med. brown) every few years, just to get my highlights out and redone, because after time, basically you're ALL blonde even with highlights, unless you just do a few.

I get 2 colors, the lightest blonde highlight she has and 1 or 2 shades up from that, depending on how blonde I want (usually lighter for summer).

Since you are a cooler skintone, I suggest a cooler, more ashy blonde. You might look a bit funny with golden blonde hair.
smiles.gif

Oh and you can see, I have dark eyebrows, too.
smiles.gif
I fill them in with Fling & Lingering, or Omega & Wedges shadows. Lighter color in the main part and darker on the tail, as my hair there is BLONDE.

I will usually go before a special occasion, so if I know I have one coming up, I'll spread out my highlights. I got married June 13th, so I had my hair highlighted June 10th, and was in a wedding on Oct 10th, so I had my hair done Oct 6th. That was 17 weeks apart, so I had them done in the middle, around Aug 4th. About 8 weeks each way. My next appointment is Dec 2nd. So I go about every 8-10 weeks. My avatar/profile pic (which is larger) was taken Oct 31, or 3 1/2 weeks post highlight. More pics on my blog, too.
smiles.gif

Most hair grows about 1/2"/month. If you dye your hair, I'd do the roots more often, but with highlights it's less noticable and blends in a bit more.

Good luck and post pics if you decide to do it!!!

This is really helpful!!! Thank you!!! I just need to ask Mom if I can go blonde, and I want to reallllyyyy badly *omfgihatelivingathome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAFoxyLady
I think blonde hair & dark eyebrows can work sometimes. I'm almost platinum with dark brows & I think it looks fine. Although I did use to lighten them with facial hair bleach, i don't feel the need to now:

http://www.specktra.net/forum/f166/h...9/#post1810514

Your hair is amazing!!! It looks great on you, too. And I love your Halloween costume and makeup as well
greengrin.gif

UPDATE: I just asked Mom if I could go blonde. I don't have enough money to go as blonde as I would probably like. Mom is willing to pay for "regular" trims (like every 3 months? Is that frequent enough? I honestly have no clue...), and highlights once every 6 months, or twice a year. Her reasoning? "I don't have a job, and I think that God is a good colorist." My response: "Isn't God a rip off of David Blaine?!" (I was joking; no one should be offended!)

Okay, I'm done with my rant *steam releases from ears D:<* I'm not THAT spoiled -__-

MUALindsay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyDork
UPDATE: I just asked Mom if I could go blonde. I don't have enough money to go as blonde as I would probably like. Mom is willing to pay for "regular" trims (like every 3 months? Is that frequent enough? I honestly have no clue...), and highlights once every 6 months, or twice a year. Her reasoning? "I don't have a job, and I think that God is a good colorist." My response: "Isn't God a rip off of David Blaine?!" (I was joking; no one should be offended!)

Okay, I'm done with my rant *steam releases from ears D:<* I'm not THAT spoiled -__-

First off, you're welcome.
smiles.gif

I get my hair trimmed/cut, every other highlight. It's very easy to go 12 weeks between highlights (3 months) and 6 months between cuts. Though some choose to get trims every 6 weeks! As long as you use deep conditioners and heat protectants (for blow drying, flat iron, curl, etc), you shouldn't get too many split ends and be okay on the cut side of things.

6 months between highlights is a personal choice... but that's approximately 3" of roots. I go more often (as you can see... I prefer 8-10 weeks between highlights), but I live in a small area. A.k.a, things are fairly cheap. Just highlights, 2 colors, FOILED (even if I only did one, I can't stand my hair pulled through a cap) was $55. W/ trim is $70. (And that includes a $5-10 tip.) So yes, if I stay blonde for 12 months, thats approx. $400/year on my hair, haha. (Some people pay WAY more for highlights/cut.)

Oh and as far as "blond as you would probably like". It really depends on the length of your hair. Since I do 2 colors, it's enough for my root touchups, but if I have went back to brunette, it takes about 3 bowls of color, which she charges +$5/ea. after the 1st.

I highly suggest going to a salon and asking them. "So, I want to go light/medium blonde. What color would suite me best and about how much would it cost?" The stylist could easily feel your hair (to see how much you have) and give you a pretty good estimate.

Good Luck!!

GirlyDork

Oh nice! The hair salon I go to is hella expensive, and I've been going there since I was 5. My hairdresser does a great job every time, but I really would like to find a more affordable place to get good results. It costs like $130 + a tip for highlights and a trim. Maybe I should do my research for a cheaper place? *brain explodes* <-- I'm totally mature and not going insane at all
winks.gif