I want a cat!

HOTasFCUK

I had a cat for 14 years and she had to be put to sleep last July. It broke my heart so bad and i swore i would never want another pet ever again. But you just can't shake that feeling of loneliness or emptyness only a pet can fulfill! Then in April my mom said they were were adopting a kitten from a shelter & i freaked out saying it was too soon and i didn't want it but i went to pick her up and she's melted my heart now! I love having her around and at first i felt crazy guilt like i was replacing my other cat and i even felt guilty when i started loving this cat but they are so different! I love having her around! It wasn't easy at first because she shit everywhere for the first week but now she is litter box trained! She likes going outside too but if you can't let yours outside, don't ever give her a taste of it! Mine was scared to go outside at first and now we can't get her to come in sometimes!

Good luck to you! Hope you get the kitten because i truly believe cats are one of the most sweetest things in life! My boyfriend wasn't a huge fan of cats either but when he saw my 1st cat sick & dying and me crying, he really came around. He paid my $5000 vet bills & even held her in his arms as they put her down. I'll never forget that. He likes my new kitten now too & maybe, just maybe if we ever get married i can convince him to get a cat!!! LOL

HOTasFCUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksWifey
I've actually been spending a lot of time on our county's humane society website looking at all the cats/kittens for adoption.
There are only feral kittens and I don't want those because my brother has a bunch of those and they are mean. That's just it, they're wild. Luckily, the adoption fee is $55 which includes spay/neuter and all of their shots and some other deworming stuff I guess.

There's this gorgeous maine coon male, he's not a kitten, but he's not quite an adult either. It said his mother died and he needed a companion and was very loving. He's so pretty, I really want to get him but Nick said he would only get a kitten
ssad.gif

My adoption fee was free in Toronto (i just made a donation) and the cat came microchipped & with its first set of shots. Unfortunatly, they gave me a sick cat so i had to pay vet blls to get rid of her infection & then i got her spayed because she was in crazy heat at 5 months!!! Now its the law in Toronto to have your pets registered with the city or you will be fined $240! Luckily its only $15 since my cat is fixed! I say get that male cat because at that age they aren't as crazy as a kitten. Ours sleeps all day then at midnight she's climbing the walls practically & i'm sure she will be like this for a few years! Also, because i kept her indoors the 1st few months, i read that they burn off all their energy late at night! Awww that cat sounds so sweet & it just needs love!!! Plus my cat looks full size now & she's only 7 months! They only stay a kitten for so long! But the love that cat will give you will last forever! Ok, now i'm sounding corny LOL

Cinci

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksWifey
I really really really really want a cat. Can I stress that enough?
winks.gif
I've always had cats my entire life. My two cats live at home with my parents. I miss them terribly and everyday I look at their pictures and get tears in my eyes. I can't help it, I just miss being around them. Whenever I get to see them (which is usually 1x a week) I can't get enough of them. I miss sleeping with a kitty, it's so comforting and I used to love coming home to find one of my cats waiting for me to play with them and hold them.

My fiance also has always been raised around animals. We have a pitbull, but for the time being, he is staying with his parents. We talk about getting a kitten from the animal shelter, but he always says he can't, because he feels like it would be replacing the animals he still has at his parents. I really don't anticipate our pitbull coming back here to live with us in our apartment anytime soon and it's killing me being petless.
The only thing that is holding me back, is that I don't want to upset him and also, I would feel guilty leaving a cat inside all day. I don't want to deal with a nasty stinky litter box either (my cats at my parents house always went outside to potty, indoor/outdoor cats). I'm also afraid to get a kitten because we live right on the street and I don't want anything to happen to it, if it were to go outside.

Damnit, I'm torn!
ssad.gif
Any suggestions on how to come to a mutual agreement?

Well I dont have any suggestions on how to come to an agreement, but I know how you feel! I had a purebred siamese cat (Cinnamon) for 18 years.. I grew up with him.. He was the best cat ever, IMO.. He passed away a few years back and I still cry when I think about him.. We have an orange cat that we got about 7 years ago.. when my Siamese passed away, even orange cat was heartbroken.. I always look at ads for cats, I search breeders on the internet, etc, looking for another perfect siamese.. I'm looking for one that resembles Cinnamon.. I know that it won't be the same, but I miss his little black face and I think it would make me feel better just seeing a cat that looked similar.. I found pictures of two cats (brother and sister) in calgary that were bring given away, and one looked IDENTICAL to my old cat.. this one was perfect, he was exactly what I was looking for... And well he came with a sister so that worked even better! Plus, I figure orange cat would be happy to have some company, cause Cinnamon was the centre of his world... But my mom wouldnt let me get them, because she said she a) didnt want two more cats, and b) she thought it would be really hard for her to see a cat that looked just like Cinnamon.... I was so upset that I couldnt have these cats that I cried and cried... lol, kinda silly, I know, but the one was the spitting image of cinnamon, and i hated the thought that their owner didnt want them and I did but couldnt...

so yea, haha, after my superlong post.. I totally know how you feel....

panther27

I live with my boyfriend,and when my dad died a few years ago,he let me bring my cat from my parents house and live with us.He didn't really like cats a whole lot,but then mine grew on him and now he loves her!I change her litter box all the time and comb and feed her so he doesn't have to worry about it.But yeah sometimes it just takes a little time.

pink_lily002

I say go for it! I would get the Maine Coon if I were you, but since you're looking to get a kitten, check out other shelters in the area and not just the SPCA/Humane Society. I got both of my baby kitties from Petsmart - each store in my area has a shelter that keeps anywhere from 5 to 12 cats at the store in a shelter area. There's almost always at least one litter of kittens, just because they know that most people want to get a kitten and not an adult cat. My first cat, Pandora, was a mere 9 weeks old when I got her, and my second one, Lluvy, was around a year old, according to the shelter. My aunt, a vet in PA, checked her out and said that Lluvy was most likely under six months old when I got her! So I'm not sure how ancient she is, but I've had her for about three years now. Both cats were spayed and came with all of their shots, as well as a ton of coupons for free food, litter, treats, even vet services at the in-store vet's office!

Good luck!