Ikea Alex anyone?

ctee80

Hi all!
newhere.gif

My hubs recently took me to Ikea and I bought a Malm table to use as a vanity and an Alex 9 drawer unit to store my things in.
0085835_PE213729_S4.JPG

The Malm is black/brown but the Alex is white and doesn't really go with our bedroom furniture. I'm going to try to paint it black but I wanted to see if anyone has repainted already finished ikea furniture before. I'd love to hear your tips/tricks before I possibly destroy it!
lol.gif

malaviKat

You should check out Ikea Hacker. It is a lifesaver (and there are some great hints/tips/ideas on there!)

I (personally) haven't painted any IKEA stuff... but I probably would. My bf isn't really into stuff like that though and generally thinks I'm going to ruin something I spent a ton of money on so his cautionary voice usually has me thinking twice about it... But there are so many awesome IKEA hacks out there I'm convinced it can be done.

Susanne

I will move in a bigger appartement in summer and will have more space for my vanity area there.

I have already bought a MALM table in black/brown and an ALEX drawer! I think they will look great together as the rest of my bedroom is white and black/brown as well.

Look here, I really like this solution, too:

http://www.specktra.net/forum/f239/m...oset-p-157558/

Can you post pics, please if you have finished?? I would love to see how it will lokk for me as well soon.
winks.gif

ctee80

Quote:
Originally Posted by malaviKat
You should check out Ikea Hacker. It is a lifesaver (and there are some great hints/tips/ideas on there!)

I (personally) haven't painted any IKEA stuff... but I probably would. My bf isn't really into stuff like that though and generally thinks I'm going to ruin something I spent a ton of money on so his cautionary voice usually has me thinking twice about it... But there are so many awesome IKEA hacks out there I'm convinced it can be done.

that's why ikea is great!
tong.gif
i wont feel quite so bad if it turns out looking like it fell off a truck! That's for suggesting that site! I've got a ton of ideas for other things now!

ctee80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne
I will move in a bigger appartement in summer and will have more space for my vanity area there.

I have already bought a MALM table in black/brown and an ALEX drawer! I think they will look great together as the rest of my bedroom is white and black/brown as well.

Look here, I really like this solution, too:

http://www.specktra.net/forum/f239/m...oset-p-157558/

Can you post pics, please if you have finished?? I would love to see how it will lokk for me as well soon.
winks.gif

I started a little late on it =P I was reading the ikeahacker blog above and decided i should sand very lightly before priming so that's all I have done so far. Hopefully I'll be done this weekend and I'll post pics
smiles.gif

I decided to go with black on the outside and paint the interior red. I hope it wont look weird!

malaviKat

The IKEA hacker blog is awesome. Seriously. Some of the stuff people come up with is so incredible. (There's a wicked hack for a jewelry cabinet that I just love...!)

Hacking is just not my bf's forte. Ironically, he's more inclined to mash together a computer (and can do that well) but wouldn't dare attempt it with a piece of furniture. Oh well. Once of these days.

winks.gif

Hope you enjoy the blog!

Latest posts