Inappropriate Work/Office makeup

Meisje

Your everyday look sounds fine, but I would strongly advise against the false lashes. If they're identifiable as false lashes from any angle --- don't wear them.

I have worked in offices off and on for more than a decade. There's a whole lot of politics and immaturity that goes on behind the scenes --- unfortunately, some are more interested in gossip than in doing their jobs. Some folks you encounter will judge you on any and everything except the actual quality of your work.

Most of what I'm going to say applies to female supervisors. The males I've worked for don't seem to care either way what I look like --- I am in a creative field, but I've worked in every environment from button-down corporate to jeans-on-Wednesdays.

So you want to go to your interview and your first day with a very minimal, natural look. You want to get an impression of what your female coworkers and especially supervisors are doing in terms of clothing, makeup and hair. You don't want to do anything too colorful or that makes too much of a statement.

You don't want to do anything for that initial impression that will make you seem too young, sexy, or attractive. I know that sounds weird, but trust me. It will damage your credibility right off the bat. It's really unfortunate that a certain kind of (often older) female supervisor is irritated by and dismissive of any woman they perceive to be too concerned with grooming or appearance. And they don't need to constantly be reminded of your youth, beacause youth=job inexperience.

Once you have observed and noted how your supervisors dress/groom, act accordingly. If they wear ill-fitting, unflattering clothes, don't go in there looking too cute. And there are going to be some women who will hate you simply because you look great. Make sure you don't have any of those lurking around before making a decision about your look. As an entry-level employee, you need to make sure you do everything you can to succeed, even if that might mean toning down a bit to not rock the boat. It might seem weird, but if someone takes a dislike to you, they can do lots of things to make your life difficult.

Some workplaces are just plain f**ked up when it comes to appearances, and I hope you don't wind up in one of those places. One place I worked (that I promptly left) was a microcosm of junior high behaviour where everyone judged everyone else by how many Lacoste shirts they owned, how expensive their cars were, and whether or not they went to trendy nightclubs. A guy from the warehouse would occasionally stop by and say stuff like "you look like shit today" etc to various employees. Really mature.

I really hope that if your manager is a woman, you score a like-minded female supervisor, who understands that care for grooming and a love of beauty products doesn't detract from your intelligence and ability to do your job.

Conclusion: Be very cautious about your initial impression. Proceed with care. Corporate can be brutal. Once you move up through the ranks and are more established, with a resume that proves your ability, you'll be able to be more daring. Good luck!

Meisje

I just wanted to add: Normally my advice would be to be proud of how you look and look however you want. But there's a lot of compromise involved in success, whether it be when it comes to your appearance, personal life, income. So the workplace is one area where you might not be able to be 100% yourself, at least not in the beginning. A person's personal and professional worlds usually have a steep divide between them.

iadoremac

I dont think you should compromise your look for success. The thing is regardless of what you do people will still look for a way to bring you down or judge you, by all means wear what you want. I am an investment banke and yes i wear bright red lipstick and purple eyeshadow but i do them one at a time and it doesnt count against me because my work is perfect.
my advice do your thing as long as its not too much

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisje
Your everyday look sounds fine, but I would strongly advise against the false lashes. If they're identifiable as false lashes from any angle --- don't wear them.

I have worked in offices off and on for more than a decade. There's a whole lot of politics and immaturity that goes on behind the scenes --- unfortunately, some are more interested in gossip than in doing their jobs. Some folks you encounter will judge you on any and everything except the actual quality of your work.

Most of what I'm going to say applies to female supervisors. The males I've worked for don't seem to care either way what I look like --- I am in a creative field, but I've worked in every environment from button-down corporate to jeans-on-Wednesdays.

So you want to go to your interview and your first day with a very minimal, natural look. You want to get an impression of what your female coworkers and especially supervisors are doing in terms of clothing, makeup and hair. You don't want to do anything too colorful or that makes too much of a statement.

You don't want to do anything for that initial impression that will make you seem too young, sexy, or attractive. I know that sounds weird, but trust me. It will damage your credibility right off the bat. It's really unfortunate that a certain kind of (often older) female supervisor is irritated by and dismissive of any woman they perceive to be too concerned with grooming or appearance. And they don't need to constantly be reminded of your youth, beacause youth=job inexperience.

Once you have observed and noted how your supervisors dress/groom, act accordingly. If they wear ill-fitting, unflattering clothes, don't go in there looking too cute. And there are going to be some women who will hate you simply because you look great. Make sure you don't have any of those lurking around before making a decision about your look. As an entry-level employee, you need to make sure you do everything you can to succeed, even if that might mean toning down a bit to not rock the boat. It might seem weird, but if someone takes a dislike to you, they can do lots of things to make your life difficult.

Some workplaces are just plain f**ked up when it comes to appearances, and I hope you don't wind up in one of those places. One place I worked (that I promptly left) was a microcosm of junior high behaviour where everyone judged everyone else by how many Lacoste shirts they owned, how expensive their cars were, and whether or not they went to trendy nightclubs. A guy from the warehouse would occasionally stop by and say stuff like "you look like shit today" etc to various employees. Really mature.

I really hope that if your manager is a woman, you score a like-minded female supervisor, who understands that care for grooming and a love of beauty products doesn't detract from your intelligence and ability to do your job.

Conclusion: Be very cautious about your initial impression. Proceed with care. Corporate can be brutal. Once you move up through the ranks and are more established, with a resume that proves your ability, you'll be able to be more daring. Good luck!

sadly, i agree with your post 100%. females are horrible to work for, seriously. of course there are awesome females everywhere but they never seem to be my bosses
ssad.gif
perhaps it is because they feel they have more to prove in their title than men? who knows. but offices are brutal. it is true, many places judge you for being too pretty. and other places do not think you can work well if you look ungroomed. like i said my office does not care and many do not really care about make up but keep it natural at first to play it safe than if it seems okay to add color, whatever, than go for it.
but natural does not have to mean brown if that is not your thing. i do wear light shimmer on my eyes in colors like soft peach and it is not too frosty and totally professional. another thing is your nails.. i do not know if you are a nail girl (i 100% am) but for interviews and first impression, stick to a neutral on your natural nails... like a soft pink or mily shade. essie makes great work colors
smiles.gif

luvsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meisje

I have not been around specktra lately b/c school has kept me insane busy, but I read through all of this and WOW! Thank you so much for the advice!!

What really struck me was - when wearing makeup in an interview - not to wear much - if any - at all. It giving a bad impression really shocked me. I have a "natural, everyday" look that I wear to school, but I am going to enter the corporate world and I honestly had no idea that it might be considered inappropriate to wear what I do every day! My false lashes are easily blended into my look, but I am now reconsidering wearing them in interviews and such... I recently went to a networking dinner that my school threw and wore my "usual makeup look"...thinking back on it, it may have been a little inappropriate. Now I am definitely thinking about toning it down a bit.

Thank you for your advice, it was really helpful!

And thanks to everyone who replied!

luvsic

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadoremac
I dont think you should compromise your look for success. The thing is regardless of what you do people will still look for a way to bring you down or judge you, by all means wear what you want. I am an investment banke and yes i wear bright red lipstick and purple eyeshadow but i do them one at a time and it doesnt count against me because my work is perfect.
my advice do your thing as long as its not too much

that is so inspiring to me! i am going into the business field myself and although I am not super daring in my makeup looks yet (I'm not too great at makeup lol) I think that if you do great work then that is what's very important too.

Meisje

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsic
I have not been around specktra lately b/c school has kept me insane busy, but I read through all of this and WOW! Thank you so much for the advice!!

What really struck me was - when wearing makeup in an interview - not to wear much - if any - at all. It giving a bad impression really shocked me. I have a "natural, everyday" look that I wear to school, but I am going to enter the corporate world and I honestly had no idea that it might be considered inappropriate to wear what I do every day! My false lashes are easily blended into my look, but I am now reconsidering wearing them in interviews and such... I recently went to a networking dinner that my school threw and wore my "usual makeup look"...thinking back on it, it may have been a little inappropriate. Now I am definitely thinking about toning it down a bit.

Thank you for your advice, it was really helpful!

And thanks to everyone who replied!

I'm glad I could help!

I realize my advice might come off as intense, but I learned the hard way that corporate work life requires a certain disconnect from personality due to it being very conservative and strict. Of course, it really does depend on your particular field, office environment and your supervisors --- but I'm in creative, and whereas that's usually a field where you are encouraged to look creative, when you're one department of a button-down multinational, "creative" looks don't really fly. Even the jewel-toned sweaters I wore seemed to cause an issue --- it's clear that my boss equated "plain and nondescript" with "capable and hardworking."

I am also blonde with big boobs and a Minnie Mouse voice, and I am often mistaken for 10 years younger than my age (I once overheard my boss' boss admonishing her for hiring an 18-year-old. I didn't know it was me they were talking about until my boss responded that I was 30! And I was wearing a suit that day!). I am just average looking --- not a frikkin bombshell or anything --- but the combination of those three things have worked against me in a corporate setting as well.

I wish it all weren't true and that you would be judged on performance alone! And I do hope you get a better selection of bosses than I've had in the past. But I'm glad I get to share this with someone so they can know it BEFORE they set out --- you can't unmake a first impression.

heart.gif

Shadowy Lady

There are some great advice on this thread. I think in the end it all depends on your office and your supervisor. I'm also and engineer and work with men 99% of the time. They don't care about makeup and I'm not even sure if they notice. I cannot wear casual clothing as I work as an inspector and need to look professional but I do wear colourful makeup. I tend to stay away from red lipstick, black or super dark smokey eyes and anything with glitter. I just don't feel that they're appropriate for office work no matter what.

The 1% time that I do deal with women on my job I get compliments on my makeup
smiles.gif

BEA2LS

i agree 100% that it depends on the company. i know where i work i can wear whatever make-up i want.. and i would always wear some make-up to interviews.. not wearing any might come across as sloppy, meaning sloppy work. it is sad how women still get judged like this - mostly by other women
ssad.gif
your falsies really are probably fine but i would always play it safe until you know the ropes
smiles.gif

iadoremac

Just read the part about interviews for interviews i think anything more than foundation, blush (should be natural looking), eyeliner, mascara (1 coat) and lipgloss(a neutral color) is excessive.
we can go on and on about this but i think you should do you, you are in the best position to judge what is and what is not over the top. I am starting work at another inv bank on monday my makeup will be subtle because i will be meeting people for the first time but by subtle i mean eyeshadow and lipgloss but no lipstick and after that i go back to my normal self
winks.gif