Interview for either clinique or Origins

bananarchy

Has anyone worked for either either of these lines. I am interviewing for a position for one of them on Wednesday. I think she is going to let me have my pick and eventually I would like to move on to MAC. One is for an origins guide at a kiosk at an AAFES (military base) all skin no makeup. their makeup isn't my favorite so that is fine. I am concerned it would hurt my chances later on at MAC so that is the only thing holding me back. The other is at clinique. Not as in love with this line but I would get the makeup experience. this is a counter at the AAFES. I would get some makeup experience here. So my questions (and feel free to answer the ones I haven't asked) How does the pay differ between these two? Which would you opt for. Has anyone worked there and how was it? Thanks all and I a glad to be joining the work force again!

SmokeSignal16

I work for Clinique and it is awesome! They spoil the consultants that work for them. You pretty much get every product that comes out new every year in a full size or deluxe size, and 3x a year you get a 'gratis' which is basically a certain amount of money that you get to shop exclusively from the line, it's usually a generous amount like $150-$250 a session. Now with Clinique you mainly focus on skin care but you do also work with the makeup as well. It does take a lot of creativity to work with the colors we have now, especially eyeshadows because they are so conservative. As far as pay goes that will really depend. I have never worked for Origins so I don't know about them but they are a Estee Lauder sister company like us so I can't really imagine a huge difference in pay. I work for Clinique in a dept store so I get base pay + 3% commission, but also it will probably vary by the location. I hope this helped you out some!

bananarchy

This actually helps immensely. I was leaning towards clinique and you've pretty much sealed the deal! Just wondering if there are discounts on this or any EL products? Thanks again!

xStarryEyedX

Hello =).
never worked for either one..but I do know a lot of people who have worked for both. i've never heard anything negative said about working for clinique that you won't hear at any other counter. (goals, pre-selling gwp's,etc). i have met a lot of women who have worked for clinique for 20+ years. as far as origins, at my old job all 3 of my coworkers came from origins and i know someone else who managed a newer store. for origins it was the exact opposite, i never heard anything positive that you wouldn't hear about any other counter. the person i knew who managed there left after 2 or 3 months.

if you can, i'd stick with clinique. i think that would look better on a resume than origins- but who knows, you might love it there.

MissMarley

I've worked for Clinique for two years and it's a good company. The focus is very much on skincare first, then makeup- but we are very well-trained; education is a huge priority. Be ready for lots of training! Don't worry about talent-plus, it's basically a personality test to see what your strengths and weaknesses are- unless you really hate sales or customer service (and I doubt you'd be applying for this if you did), you'll do fine.

SmokeSignal16

Sorry I went a lil MIA! Yeah like the previous post Talent Plus is either a phone interview or an inperson interview with the Account Coordinator or Executive, and it's just a personality test to see how you fit in the company. I think mine ended up being Service or something but yeah there will be lots of training but it is very easy to get the hang of it! As far as discounts go there isn't for Clinique you just get the gratis, BUT if you work for a dept store like I do for Macy's you get your employee discount which is 20%. But I think you mentioned it was a military base so I don't know if you would get a discount or not, but for sure you get gratis!

bananarchy

Blarg, they filled the clinique position but are still hiring for origins, I've always liked the line, so I don't mind, just afraid it will be harder to sell....

bananarchy

Well I got the job and have been working about 2 weeks almost. i like it pretty well and hope to stay there and eventually move up. It's harder to make the day there since I am between Clinique and Estee and both have strong followings. Well do anyone know when we get gratis or is it different for everyone? I also read there is a place online to study product and they will send you some for free. Does that sound familiar? I was going to ask the manager today but she won't be around tomorrow and I won't work Saturday. Thanks everyone!

mnlg97

Did you have to do a Talent Plus for Origins? I have to do one and do not know what to expect. Looking for help....

dulcekitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnlg97
Did you have to do a Talent Plus for Origins? I have to do one and do not know what to expect. Looking for help....

Talent Plus is generic so it doesn't matter the line really. They ask you questions and you interpret them the way you see fit to answer. They can't explain the question, only repeat it. It's about 20-30 minutes of straight questions with no feedback on what you said. As long as you stick to the thesis that you have a hard on for customer service, don't lose your cool in difficult situations and are excited to make goal, you'll do fine. Have ready a story about when you dealt with a difficult customer (preferably turning it into a sale) and a story of how you met goal. Also why you'd die to work for origins and what you can bring (hint: energy and sales). That's just my 2 cents, but I aced talent plus.
smiles.gif