Is MAC Nail Lacquer Worth It?

Randy Rose

Hey, ladies and gents . . .

I've been considering picking up the Cremesheen LE nail lacquer. It would be my first MAC polish. I'm just wondering if the product is worth it? I assumed that the formula was super amazing and would give a smooth, even, candy-coating finish, but after seeing some swatches the MAC nail lacquers seem to be just as prone to streakiness as drug store polishes. Any thoughts? Is the quality worth the premium price?

coachkitten

To be honest MAC nail polish is nice but $11 is a bit much considering the quality. I much prefer Essie or OPI over MAC's nail polish plus they are a bit cheaper. That is just my opinion.
smiles.gif

pat

I own a couple of MAC polishes and they're good. I think $11 isn't bad for the amount you're getting.

If you wanted the Cremesheen polish but not sure about it, try doing a color match with other brands that are cheaper. I'm pretty sure Essie will have a close match (they are really good with neutral/pink colors) and also OPI.

I agree with Coachkitten that OPI and Essie are mostly my "go to" polishes. OPI is great, it rarely chips on me.

hth!

Zantedge

They're just ok, they do streak and I find it hard to get an even coat. I would still buy them occasionally if the colour was really nice but overall they're kind of underwhelming. I was going to get the creamsheen polish too, but now I think the colour isn't very unique and you could find something similar with a better formula.

MizzHotTahiti

I don't think their worth $11, but they are better then a drugstore polish.If the bottle was a lil bigger then I'd have no issues becuause the quality is there.

yzzilizzy

I really don't like MAC nail laquers -- although I think I am a bit of a polish snob. I have picked up a few here and there, only when I REALLY love the color. For me, if the color is beautiful enough, I can deal with the application issues (streaks, sheerness, etc). Today I got Seasonal Peach from the Cremesheen launch and honestly I love it. It took me FOUR coats to get an even, smooth finish, but the coats did dry rather quickly in between. It's a really gorgeous shade (on my skintone anyway!), so therefore is worth it.

The price is pretty mid-range in my opinion. For the quality of the polish, I think they should be less, but hey.

Lizzie

The only MAC N/L that I own is Naughty Nauticals. I love the color and used it as soon as I got it, but to be honest... I haven't used it once since.
ssad.gif

jaclynashley

Am I the only MAC nail lacquer lover here ?!
I LOVE them .
I honestly prefer them to Chanel because that stuff goes on THICK !
But to be on the safe side I would try it out in the store .

meanjeanster

To be quite honest, I don't care for it. I have a few shades, some work better than others. illegal purple from the culture of cherry collection is a nice nail color and has decent lasting power but silverstruck is awful. It chipped an hour after I put it on ....and believe me when i say that I'm no nail polish noobie.

IMO they're nothing special. They're soso overall. The colors are pretty but also very dupable IMO. For the price you pay, you could get a better polish like Essie or Orly or OPI which is a bit more expensive...i think....but lasts better.

IDK it's all personal preference but I have used Sally Hansen colors that outlast my MAC nail lacquers.

xxManBeaterxx

I dont think its worth 11 bucks for the nail polish, the quality is average and most of the colors arent very unique. You can find OPI nail polishes for most excellent quailty and a lot cheaper, a couple of websites sell the whole OPI collection for $4 bucks.

The chip factor?
I went to the beach with 12 hour old nail polishes...different days.. MAC chipped insanely, while OPI remained untouch when i went body surfing. No top or base coat applied

AdlersMommy22

Im wearing the creamesheen polish right now and its ADORABLE.. I tan a lot so it goes AWESOME with my tanned skin- and i ACTUALLY had people complimenting it last night at work- weird!!!! It was my first one too and honestly i was REALLY suprised at how small it was- i thought it ws going to be a lot bigger- it looked like a "mini" nail polish- but ive never used a nail polish up in my entire life so i think ill be good

One of my nails has already chipped a bit but i waitress (well.. for one of my jobs- the one last night) and so my hands get washed and banged up a lot with silverware and stuff... it lasted pretty well except for the one nail- i only had to apply 2 coats to get the same color as the promo! HTH!

LatinaRose

I don't like them. Too streaky, way too much effort to get a perfect mani.

Yeah, they have cool colors occasionally, but so does OPI, China Glaze, etc.

abbyquack

Amen everyone, they're not the best quality, although if you use several coats it will get rid of the streakiness, and a top coat usually keeps it on for a reasonable amount of time.

(I'm condsidering that Seasonal Peach color too
smiles.gif
)

TwistedFaith

I have only started using MAC polishes fairly recently, but I do like the ones I have used so far - Silverstruck & Firehouse. They apply very nicely in my opinion. I didn't have a problem with bubbling or streakiness and they dry pretty quick. However, I don't know if maybe different colors may have some issues. I also have Illegal Purple and Seasonal Peach but I haven't used them yet. I'll see if I have any problems with them once I do.

Kayteuk

I love my mac nail varnishes =) I have about 5 and they really shine when I put them on, they just take longer to dry...