Is Nars Sheer Glow a match for me?

PeppermintMocha

I've been debating whether or not to get the Nars Sheer Glow since the summer. Since the Sephora 20% holiday is coming up, I decided it might be the right time to pick it up.

But, I have very sensitive skin which can easily react and I get all red blothy skin afterwards. Plus, I have dry (sometimes flaky skin).

Has anyone had any allergic reactions to this foundation? Has anyone experience the foundation over-drying your face throughout the day?

Plus, I'm usually MAC NC 20-25, what would be a perfect colour match for me?

Thanks in advance! :)

Monsy

Deuville color would be good for you. I dont have sensitive skin but it is dry and i didnt have any problem with sheer glow drying out my skin. just make sure you moisturize really good before you put foundation on

katred

Specktra Bestie
My skin isn't overly sensitive, but it is a bit dry and I certainly haven't had any problems with Sheer Glow. I agree with Monsy- Deauville is your best bet for a match.

MarieMary

I have very sensitive, hyper-reactive skin, and Sheer Glow didn't aggravate anything or dry out my skin. On the contrary, it tends to make my skin look better after I remove it (smoother, less red).
Monsy is absolutely right, you need to have your face well moisturized before applying this foundation. I too would say Deauville is a good color for you. ;)

Monsy

http://karlasugar.net/2009/10/nars-sheer-glow-foundation/
this might help you too

missmolliecule

I would actually say Ceylan for you. Deauville is slightly pink compared. Both would work, but I think Ceylan would be a better fit

PeppermintMocha

I went into a Sephora today and was matched to Punjab. The MUA said Deauville was too light for me. She picked up Ceylan, Punjab, and Santa Fe to try on my chin and Punjab blended in perfectly!

Thanks to everyone who helped!! :)

PeppermintMocha

I will for sure update you guys on my thoughts! I have tried the Neutrogena one, but sadly they don't have it in Canada (I picked it up over the summer when I was over in the states). I'll do a comparison too, if I do find any significant differences!

PeppermintMocha

UPDATE: Since I usually wake up too late to put makeup on my face before class, I haven't tried the NARS Sheer Glow yet on my whole face. But, since I was procrastinating anyways, I tried it for the first time today on half of my face, so I can compare how much coverage it gives. Punjab actually matches me pretty well, not perfectly, but very closely. It might match perfectly when summer comes around again and I get a little tanner. (I'm around NC 20-25, depending on the season). I usually only do one thin layer of foundation, so when I tried this foundation, it gives a nice coverage. It actually gives the effect of healthy, glowy skin, which I wanted. I heard that it's best to use your hands to blend it out, but I used the MAC 188 and it worked very well and easy. So far, I really like this foundation. Can't wait to find the time to try it for my whole face. It did not cake up, it looked like it just melted in my skin. Yay!

P.S. Close I'm home for the rest of the night, so I won't look too crazy with only one side of my face with foundation!

katred

Specktra Bestie
^ YAY! Although I wish it lasted a little longer, I do love this foundation. Seems to give me the perfect amount of coverage (while it lasts).

PeppermintMocha

FINAL UPDATE ON THE FOUNDATION:

Since I had a few months to try this foundation out, and in particular, I used it many times over the holiday season - I have come down to a more in depth review of this foundation. (For those who may be in need of a future reference...)

This seems to be an issue for many people, but the whole top/lid is really annoying. It's very messy and it can be hard to control a set amount of product pouring out of it each time. I pulled out the black lid and there was the screw off lid, which in fact, CRACKED! Probably from turning it too far. So, I can't put it away in my drawers, just in case it flows out and wastes the product. I'm definitely on the same boat as everyone else who is not impressed with the foundation not having a pump. Plus, you have to shake it before use....so with a broken lid, not fun.

I usually use the MAC 188 (Mini Stippling Brush), Sigma 187 (Stippling Brush), or Sigma F80 (Flat Top Kabuki) to apply this foundation. It's easy to blend out and into the skin. I have dry skin and what I noticed is that, it looks a bit cakey right after I apply it. But, after a few hours, it begins to "sink" into my skin and looks pretty natural. But, usually after 6-8 hours with this foundation, it wears off. I usually apply one thin layer and it does a great job at covering the minor imperfections. I usually don't enjoy having a full-coverage type of look anyways.

This foundation does not oxidize on my face, which is nice. The first time I used it, I had several of breakouts. I had my fingers crossed it wasn't from this foundation. Trial two, it broke me out again. But, since I purchase this pricey foundation, I sucked it up and continued to use it over the holidays. But, each time I used it, I felt like I didn't get anymore breakouts. My friend mentioned it might be because my skin isn't used to liquid foundation in the beginning, since I hardly use it and this foundation is one of my first ones that is little/medium coverage.

People compare this to the Neutrogena Healthy Skin, it is similar, but NARS gives a more "skin-like" natural finish, which I prefer.

Pricey for a foundation (with no pump!!), but I really enjoy using it. But, I don't have plans to repurchase it anytime soon (if I finish the bottle), since I'm hoping to try other foundations. It would be nice to repurchase, yet this foundation is not a product I "NEEEED".

missmolliecule

good news though! NARS just shipped pumps to all the counters so they should be out for purchase for you soon! and if you want that 'sunk in' natural look right away, apply sheer glow with your hands, not a brush! it'll warm up onto your skin and melt in right away... there's a huge difference to the finish that way AND you'll use way less product :)

PeppermintMocha

good news though! NARS just shipped pumps to all the counters so they should be out for purchase for you soon! and if you want that 'sunk in' natural look right away, apply sheer glow with your hands, not a brush! it'll warm up onto your skin and melt in right away... there's a huge difference to the finish that way AND you'll use way less product :)

Ahh! This is great news!! I will be calling my NARS counter and Sephora to see if they have it! It would definitely be so much more helpful with a pump. Not too excited about spending that extra few dollars for it. At least it's better than the broken lid!

I should try my hands the next time I use it!

PeppermintMocha

Do you know if this is only offered in the US or worldwide? I live in Canada and I contacted my Sephora and other Nars counters and they all seem to think I'm crazy. They said they don't think they are receiving pumps to be sold separately. ): This is very disappointing news for me! Why Canada, WHYY?