Is Nars Sheer Glow a match for me?

PeppermintMocha

^ They do sell the pump separately in the UK :/ Maybe the Canada counters have a bit of a delay?

So I've been meaning to ask one of the NARS experts, do the shade numbers go strictly from light to dark?

For example, if you look at karlasugar's swatches, Punjab (Medium 1) seems darker than Sante Fe (Medium 2).

Similarly, Syracuse (Medium Dark 1) seems lighter than Barcelona (Medium 4).

I ask because I was matched to Stromboli which I'm starting to feel is a bad match for me, I'm very true olive and Stromboli is more yellow. Not sure which shade to try next and the swatches are somewhat confusing. I feel like I might have to mix two shades but I wouldn't even know which two shades to pick! I need a counter near me that'll just let me play and work it out for myself...unfortunately, I usually get pounced upon with suggestions!

Oh I hate it when Canada is so delayed in the beauty world! I'm scared if the foundation would dry up! D:

Plus, the whole skin matching process varied for me depending on makeup artist. When I went to the NARS counter the first time to get skin matched to this foundation, they matched me to Santa Fe. I was very convinced. But, when I went to purchase it at Sephora, I wanted a second opinion and asked the makeup artist there to match me. I was matched Punjab there and I purchased the shade.

I think it's a trial and error thing. If you do find the foundation unfitting to your skin tone, you can try to exchange it for another shade!

Shadowy Lady

Oh I hate it when Canada is so delayed in the beauty world! I'm scared if the foundation would dry up! D:
Plus, the whole skin matching process varied for me depending on makeup artist. When I went to the NARS counter the first time to get skin matched to this foundation, they matched me to Santa Fe. I was very convinced. But, when I went to purchase it at Sephora, I wanted a second opinion and asked the makeup artist there to match me. I was matched Punjab there and I purchased the shade.

I think it's a trial and error thing. If you do find the foundation unfitting to your skin tone, you can try to exchange it for another shade!
That exact same thing happened to me which is why I always get samples. I got samples of both Punjab and Santa Fe. Punjab is the wrong undertone on me and made me look a bit orange, it's also a shade darker than Santa Fe. Santa Fe is as close to a perfect match as it gets for me.

adrianitagus

Hi! I've been reading this posts for days, but Im not sure if probably anyone else has already ask you about the colour in stromboli... I really want to buy the foundation but there's not a Nars counter where I live... and I have never tried MAC foundations :(... But I have some other references, as for me I haven't even found a shade that is close to my skin colour :'(... For reference:
1. Bobbi Brown skin foundation in Beige - Too white and to pale, makes my skin ashy
2. Estee Lauder double wear in 2w1 sand, too white and even more pale than the bobbi brown one. Also I hated the foundation
3. Channel Vitalumier Acqua in B30, too dark and it oxidices and looks orange
4. Channel Vitalumier B20, is closest too my skin shade but still to pinkish

I'am Latin American, and live in UK, and I lost all my natural tanned colour since I move to UK... But still my yellow undertones are pretty strong... I was thinking about Stromboli as it is kind of a medium shade, but I'm scared it would be too dark... So I wanted to know if you could help me by telling me if you consider that stromboli is too dark... I match my skin colour in MAC web page and I got a NC30 shade... but I don't trust that... Thank you soooo muchhh!! I'll try also to ask other people that has used stromboli to see if they can help me! thank you!!! Xxx

shellygrrl

Staff member
I don't trust the MAC website's matching, either. It thinks I'm NC20 in general, and I know I'm much lighter than that. Anyway, here are some Sheer Glow swatches online. This may help you out a bit. http://karlasugar.net/2009/10/nars-sheer-glow-foundation/

Sojourner

Hi! I've been reading this posts for days, but Im not sure if probably anyone else has already ask you about the colour in stromboli... I really want to buy the foundation but there's not a Nars counter where I live... and I have never tried MAC foundations :(... But I have some other references, as for me I haven't even found a shade that is close to my skin colour :'(... For reference:
1. Bobbi Brown skin foundation in Beige - Too white and to pale, makes my skin ashy
2. Estee Lauder double wear in 2w1 sand, too white and even more pale than the bobbi brown one. Also I hated the foundation
3. Channel Vitalumier Acqua in B30, too dark and it oxidices and looks orange
4. Channel Vitalumier B20, is closest too my skin shade but still to pinkish

I'am Latin American, and live in UK, and I lost all my natural tanned colour since I move to UK... But still my yellow undertones are pretty strong... I was thinking about Stromboli as it is kind of a medium shade, but I'm scared it would be too dark... So I wanted to know if you could help me by telling me if you consider that stromboli is too dark... I match my skin colour in MAC web page and I got a NC30 shade... but I don't trust that... Thank you soooo muchhh!! I'll try also to ask other people that has used stromboli to see if they can help me! thank you!!! Xxx

adrianitagus

Hi!
Thanks girls for your answers! I've already watch karla sugar shades, and I think that Stromboli could be good for me because of the yellow/olive undertone, but I think is too dark :'(... and I see punjab very orange!
My face is ligther than my body, so I think for me getting a foundation that is a bit darker will probably kind of counter act that.. but I'm not sure! Have anyone of you tried Punjab and maybe think that is too pink or to orange? please please, need help! I really want to try this foundation... but if i go to the closest nars it implies spending 15pounds more!
Thanks!! :D

shellygrrl

Staff member
Punjab is waaaaaaaay too dark for me! (My shade would be Siberia.) I think trying to match your foundation to the rest of your body to make everything more uniform would be a better bet.

Shadowy Lady

Adrianitagus - If Chanel VA B20 is the closest match for your but is too pink, Stromboli would def be too dark on you. I can wear both Chanel B20 and BR20 and Stromboli is way dark on me. I think Punjab would be the better option for you and it has warmer undertones, idea for olive light medium skin. I use Santa fe and it works for me coz I have pink in my undertones which

Monsy

How about Deauville? I wear it and i am NC20., chanel VA b20, chanel perfection lumiere beige 20...

adrianitagus

Adrianitagus - If Chanel VA B20 is the closest match for your but is too pink, Stromboli would def be too dark on you. I can wear both Chanel B20 and BR20 and Stromboli is way dark on me. I think Punjab would be the better option for you and it has warmer undertones, idea for olive light medium skin. I use Santa fe and it works for me coz I have pink in my undertones which
thank you ssooo much!! my only problem now is that two days ago I ordered stromboli (I really wanted it :(..). I bought it because in the Nars site it didn't say anything about returning completely unused, it just said that it has to be returned within 14 of purchase. But when i asked after i bought it (my fault) they told me i had to returned it unused... :(... I think I won't even try it and then return it... I have to ship it to France.. and I live in UK :(... thank you so much for your help I will return that one and get punjab.
Monsy- I think Deauville will be too white for me :(... thanks for your comment :D

Any ways, if anyone from UK is interested in Stromboli, just let me know within these next few days :D

Thank you to all of you!