is this a bad idea?

yinandyang

I have an interview with a rep from Estee Lauder (regional representative, i think). I have already put out resumes at every MAC counter in the area, but do you think I should go in wearing all black (but still cute) and apply my makeup like MAC would want, in an effort to see if she would forward me to them, since Estee bought them out or whatever?
Or is this just a totally horrible way to sabotage my interview and I should just go in dressed in all black and neutral makeup like EL would want?

What do you think?

Simply Elegant

Dress for the job interview that you're having. Do something more neutral for EL and if you get a MAC interview, then do something more colourful. EL owns tons of companies so it wouldn't be the greatest idea to do something for another one of their own companies.

If you get the job at the EL counter, later on you might want to ask to be transferred to MAC though.

weezee

I agree with Simply Elegant. I would wear neutral makeup too to the ES interview. At least if you did get hired to work at the ES counter, you'd get your foot in the door and gain experience if you did want to move to a MAC counter eventually. I'm not sure what store you are interviewing with but our Macy's also has the expectation that you will stay at the counter you are hired at for a year before moving on. Good luck and let us know how you did!

pumpkincat210

I agree dress for the job. You can use color just use it minimally and something flattering and not wild. Keep the eye look mostly neutral and the lips classy. Basically play up your features without looking overdone.

erine1881

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezee
I agree with Simply Elegant. I would wear neutral makeup too to the ES interview. At least if you did get hired to work at the ES counter, you'd get your foot in the door and gain experience if you did want to move to a MAC counter eventually. I'm not sure what store you are interviewing with but our Macy's also has the expectation that you will stay at the counter you are hired at for a year before moving on. Good luck and let us know how you did!

true. and if it is at a macys that you will be working at, macys doesn't own mac. if you eventually wanted to work for mac, you'd have to apply and interview at mac as well. EL could recommend you to mac, but you'd have to interview there just like anyone else. mac has their own interviewing/hiring process. so, if you can't get a job at mac right now, dress for company you are interviewing for, and hope that you can interview for mac a while down the road. that's when you can dress for a mac interview!

chocolategoddes

Obviously, if you want to work for EL then you don't dress like you're going to a MAC interview.
smiles.gif

TheManda

Switching from EL to MAC is very hard. I did it but I had to quick EL before I could get in. If you're good enough at you job to get a reference your AC will have to give the manager of MAC permission to interview you. Mine wouldn't because she didn't want to lose me. If you're wanting to get experience I would suggest going to a non-EL counter and making nice with the manager there, cross sell and ask to be filled in when there's openings.

Latest posts