Is This Realistic???

chocolategoddes

I'm 16 years old and I know I can't get a job at MAC now but I definitely want to work there during college. So this is my plan: I'll work on my skill now, take pics of my work on other people as a portfolio, get jobs in other retail stores, and when I'm ready I walk into MAC (lookin' good of course) and hand in my "resume" and have my portfolio handy and apply. Then if it works out I get the job!

Do you think this is realistic? Would I have to take cosmetology courses? Is being a MAC artist to time consuming to do it during college? Do they accept younger people like 18 year olds. If my plan above doesn't seem effective to you, what do you suggest I do now? I really don't want to devote my time to learning about cosmetics, because as passionate as I am about makeup, It's not what I want to do as a career, just a job (for a couple years) until I become a doctor.

Divinity

I read a lot of threads about wanting to work for MAC and for being as young as you are, cheers for having a plan and taking it seriously!
friends.gif

Your plan sounds like a recommendation that I would give to anyone wanting to work for them. This is exactly what I plan on doing when I move back west. I have actually interviewed out here in Chicago, but I don't have a lot of make-up experience and I'm sure that is why I wasn't considered.

You don't have to take cosmetology courses, although it helps. But your talents will speak volumes in your portfolio and in your interview in addition to retail, sales, and customer service experience. They do hire starting at 18, so yes you have a chance and as long as you are passionate about people and the industry, I don't see why they wouldn't consider you.

amoona

Working for MAC and going to college at the sametime is very hard. MAC is very time consuming. As long as you are 18 byou're eligible for hire.

TheManda

Me and my assistant manager are both in college and it works fine for us. There are crazy times, but it all works out. Some counters has positions for 10 hours or 15 hours. Updates and training usually happen on a few different days so you could work it out with classes. I always tried to get my classes to be on Tuesday Thursday only and if I had to have a MWF class I would try for really early so that my work schedule was open.

LeeanneMarie

Thank you so much for this post, thats exactly what I plan to do as well! Especially the part about doing it during college, but not quite as a career.