It's Not The Brand Of Makeup - It's About How You APPLY It

Modil

I've used OTC or drugstore makeup and gotten COMPLIMENTS from MAC M/A's..

I walked in to a MAC PRO store and was wearing milani greens - Smokey eye look with milani blush along with a gold bronze $2.99 lipstick and the MA's from MAC loved my makeup.

They assume I was wearing MAC but they did not know it was all drugstore colors..

One MA even asked me to even think about becoming a MA for MAC..

You can use drugstore makeup but in the end - It's about proper brushes and application IMO..

Yes - Some drugstore are less pigmented compared to a few but there are good ones out there that are on the same level as the high end ones (jane, milani,NYX)..

Before you trash drugstore makeup - Make sure you know how to apply it =)

Because in the end - That whole NARS/MAC/GA makeup on your face (without proper application) can look like my $2.99 lipstick.. =(

joytheobscure

Yes, but isnt 'there something "magical" about mac <grin> and those little black pots of eyeshadow... I think any makeup can look good - but the array of colors offered by mac is what I love. Application is important- but my high end lines seem to have a little better staying power although I've never really used Milani.

Shawna

I don't really have anything against DS makeup, but my skin seems to. I have bought so much DS makeup in the hope of finding a cheaper alternative to stuff only to break out in hives or skin rashes. I guess my skin is just ultra sensitive. A few months ago, I bought a cheap Revlon concealer. I tried it on my wrist overnight (I always test for reaction) When I woke up, it looked like someone had grated my wrist with sandpaper. Red, raw, and itchy. I have also had trouble with Rimmel eyeshadows. I tried a really pretty pink colour only to have my eyes swell shut. So while I agree that they can look just as nice as the more expensive makeup, they don't look so good when they make you swell up like a puffer fish.
ssad.gif

Turbokittykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
I don't really have anything against DS makeup, but my skin seems to.

Same here. I've had far fewer problems with higher end cosmetics than I have with drugstore products.

And yes, it's possible, with good application, to make cheap makeup look spectacular. However, it's easier to get excellent results with a better quality product, IMO.

AlliSwan

I'm just a sucker for MAC! I prefer it over the more expensive brands like Dior, Lancome, etc...I was using L'Oreal mascara for awhile, but yes, it started irritating my eyes. I'm all over drugstore nail polish, but again, OPI has an unrivaled quality and color selection. We won't even get into the Almay (hypoallergenic my ass) incidents that turned my face red and my nails highlighter yellow.

glittergoddess27

It can also have a lot to do with aging skin as well,...if you are early twenties then go for it but as you get older the skin of your eyelids gets crepier and your skin just doesn't look as good,.. though I am only thirty I have worked on a lot of older women,.. DS makeup takes a lot more work to look as good,...I know that I am consciously fighting to stay looking about 25,..so I am conscientous about what I put on,. DS makeups aren't quite as skin care conscious, causing drying, reddening, etc,.. I just would rather pay the extra and be able to have the colors and quality that will look good now and keep my skin looking good for later as well,....

samtaro

I would totally agree with this if my skin were not so sensitive, most DS things make me break out.

Kristen

For me I buy MAC for the colour choice and the pigmentation. I hate that ds lipglosses are always extremely different from one another, there's always just a hot pink.. a pink.. a red.. It never has inbetween shades. I love MAC for the veluxe pearls and duochromes.. they make it seem that you did so much more work than you actually did.

But really.. I think as long as you know how to coordinate shades and blend well you can always look good.

lah_knee

I agree that having a mac shadow isnt gonna make you an artist over night. everything takes practice. sometimes i will find cheap brands that have some neat colors. but over all, i enjoy mac for their color selections... their vivid tones and a WIDE array of products... i dont like milani personally. its more pigmented than most drugstore brands but i dont like the color selection. i do like NYX but i hardly reach for it anymore. its great when people compliment your makeup because of your skill... and if drugstore stuff works for you, then work it! but i love my mac
smiles.gif

mac_obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokittykat
Same here. I've had far fewer problems with higher end cosmetics than I have with drugstore products.

And yes, it's possible, with good application, to make cheap makeup look spectacular. However, it's easier to get excellent results with a better quality product, IMO.

Me too...I tried a lot of ds mu in highschool and it did horrrible horrible things to my skin...So I used clinique facial stuff up into my late 20s...then I discovered mac and bare escentuals and will never ever touch ds m/u again. Altho I do love all things lipgloss so I will buy cutesy lgs...

banana

I buy MAC and other high end brands because I can afford it, and makeup is one of my few little luxuries. But if I couldn't afford department store makeup anymore I'd have no problem using drugstore stuff. I rarely spend more than MAC prices, though. I don't feel like I need too.

jess98765

MAC makeup is very pigmented which is what i love about it. Other brands just don't show up on my skin (don't know whether its the colour of my skin or the pigment in the make up themselves) and so i tend to use MAC a lot. Otherwise i just end up looking quite caked up with all the layers and layers of eyeshadow put on... Also MAC doen't cause my skin to break out! yay for MAC

kissmypinkstar

I use drugstore make-up AND highend stuff. I find that it totally depends upon the individual brand and product. Some drugstore lines are fantastic, but with some you can really tell the difference and i wouldn't use them at all.

You're right about application though - it doesn't matter how expensive your make-up is if you don't have good application skills!

smiles.gif

user4

i totally agree. i actually got complimented the last time i went to the mac store by my fave ma and he swore i was wearing all mac. i think the only mac thing i was wearing was the msf and everything else was milani and prestige.

laa_cat

I do agree some drugstore makeup is definately comparable to department store and whether something works really depend on skills and whatsoever. I think Milani e/s rocks and I always use drugstore mascara (tho I am seriously lemming Diorshow :p)

But I do buy makeup not only becoz of the quality, but sometimes also for the packaging, the creativity in the collection... and I do believe brands like MAC and NARS do have a better variety in shades, e.g, duchrome shades (e.x, MAC pigments, it's so pretty coz it reflects different colors.. not all loose powder e/s can replicate the results) , limited edition (i am a sucker for MAC holiday palettes). Seriously i do buy makeup becoz I like to look at them. LOL!

mspixieears

Absolutely agree - you can get fab d/s and fab high-end, but you can still get crap high-end. Application too is a good point (in fact I begin to understand the need to shell out for brushes - they make m/u application look so much better).

I too seem to experience more allergic reactions with d/s things. Not all but many. Sometimes the quality can be pretty bad, and it's always so disappointing to get a cheap m/u item and try it only to have it not do what you expected it to.

Sushi_Flower

Agree a little with the original post but also not really..you just can't get the textures and blendibilty you get from the good high ends Yes you can build it up for ages and blend for ages and create wow looks but i judge by effectiveness in use, if the product makes the work easier then it's a better product.

I still use lower end stuff though, my everyday lipgloss costs £2 and mascara is Maybelline. I think lipgloss is the best thing that can work as a cheaper brand especially if you mix different ones on your lips, you get great unique colours and textures easily. Eyepencil is one of the worst thing to get cheap of as if it's too hard and less pigmented then you end up scratching away near your eye area in an attempt to make it show.