Just grass and dirt

user3

My mother sent me this email today. I know we all have different views on what is going on in Iraq but enlight of those views let's put those aside for now.
This is not a politcal post just a post to help us all remember the little things!

A tiny plot of grass

I hope the picture will go through for you of this Army soldier in Iraq
with his "tiny plot of grass" in front of his tent.
It's heartwarming!

Here is a soldier stationed in Iraq, stationed in a big sand box. He asked his wife to send him dirt (U.S. soil), fertilizer and some grass seed so he can have the sweet aroma and feel the grass beneath his feet.
When the men of the squadron have A mission they are going on they take turns walking through the grass and the American soil to bring them good luck.

465852.jpeg

If you notice, he is even cutting the grass with a pair of a scissors. Sometimes we are in such a hurry that we don't stop and think about the little things that we take for granted.

colormust

isnt this cool, my mother in law sent this to me a couple of weeks ago.

it just gives me chills....

(of course cause i am naked)

vwilliams

That's a great post, thank you for sharing
smiles.gif

I'm not sure about how they managed to send the goods, logistically speaking with Dept. of Agriculture restrictions and all, but hey, it's Iraq, so they probably don't worry about anything killing their grass because there is none, right?

I have some several friends over there right now and several more going, and it IS the little things. When my boyfriend was stationed in Bosnia in 2002 I sent him a children's book (it was an inside joke) and he still has it; it's on the bookshelf in our office. Letters, pictures, gifts, anything to momentarily take them away from the routine of guard duty and stressful missions, and remind them that people care about them and what they're doing
smiles.gif

MAC_Whore

That is awesome. It is the little things that get us through. I have tremendous respect for our military. To say it is not an easy job/life, is a gross understatement. Especially these days.

Ummm....not to be a killjoy, but either the date on the photo is wrong or he is in the Balkans. The U.S. went into Afghanistan in 01 and Iraq in the 90's and again in 03. Just an observation.

user3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC_Whore

Ummm....not to be a killjoy, but either the date on the photo is wrong or he is in the Balkans. The U.S. went into Afghanistan in 01 and Iraq in the 90's and again in 03. Just an observation.

They could have the camera date set wrong mine says 2002 because I am too lazy to change it

Shawna

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Nessa
They could have the camera date set wrong mine says 2002 because I am too lazy to change it

*raises hand* I'm lazy too, mine says 1999