Kit-building on the cheap

Hi all-

I'm beginning to build a kit, but since I'm still a student, I'm kind of concerned about money. I've checked a lot of the kit recs (inmykit, petrilude, some stray posts on specktra.net), but I definitely can't afford to trick out my kit with all MAC/MUFE products at present. I'm basically working on getting a kit assembled so I can start portfolio-building before I try to freelance or job-search.

My big question is if there are any affordable, but high-quality brands that I can substitute? Do any of you have experience using them in your kits?

th_confused_new.gif
I'm especially concerned about brushes, because MAC brushes are largely out of the question for now. I was thinking of trying Crown brushes, since they're a wholesaler for a lot of MU lines' private labels and I've heard good things about them.

Shanneran

Hey There
greengrin.gif

You absolutely can use more affordable products to build your kit! When i first started out, i had to keep myself on a pretty strict budget, and built it up as i went along.. some of the products that i used were:

Revlon Colorstay Foundation (Really good quality foundation in large color range and oily and dry formulas)
Avon Lipsticks
Avon Pencils (LIP, EYES, BROWS) (----you can get these for like 89-99 cents sometimes)
Sigma Brushes (alot like mac brushes, at lower prices but i htink you can only get them online)

I cant think of what else, but i hope that helps you!

mac_arp4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanneran

Revlon Colorstay Foundation (Really good quality foundation in large color range and oily and dry formulas)
Avon Lipsticks
Avon Pencils (LIP, EYES, BROWS) (----you can get these for like 89-99 cents sometimes)

i love all of these things (good choices shanneran!) i just started using revlon colorstay because i got tired of the mineral makeup and the makeup brushes scratching my face...i can just paint that on and it doesn't break me out at all! i got the oil free ones...

avon smoothing eye definer...is AWESOME...it still runs on me but for the most part it's comparable to mac's liner

avon's lipstick is GREAT...it's creamy...pigmented and affordable

loreal hip pigments are awesome and the little brushes that come with them are one of the best i've used...their eyeshadows are def pigmented and affordable (sometimes u can get buy one get one free)

loew-cornell brushes...molly's mop 3/8 is comparable to mac 239...and it's always around 3.50-5 bucks...and the thin precise brushes perfect for eye liner!

hope this helped!

Thank you, thank you!

All the reviews I've seen for the Sigma brushes have been great, so I'm definitely getting excited for May
winks.gif
I'll probably be grabbing a set when they come back in stock. I use art brushes for my own personal makeup, but I'm just worried if using them on others will seem unprofessional. Any thoughts on this?

I would never have considered Avon for anything, but it looks like I'll be calling my friendly Avon lady soon
smiles.gif
lol

Any ideas for blush or e/s? Has anyone used NYX or La Femme products in their kit?

metal_romantic

If your Avon rep is friendly, you could perhaps ask if you could buy some samples from her to use before you put together a kit for actual jobs. The samples aren't meant to be sold to anyone except the reps but if she's nice she should order them for you (they're cheap).
smiles.gif

mmmakeup

I some of know the packaging looks horribly cheap (and so might appear unprofessional?!), but NYC (NewYorkColor) does some surprisingly good stuff, all for a few dollars. The lipsticks and nail varnishes get rave reviews over at MUA.

I'm not sure if its exactly what you're looking for but hth someone
smiles.gif

nebbish

I've never had anything but bad experiences with NYC's nail color. You need like nine coats to make the color show up.

I'm just building my kit, too, so this is all *very* helpful!!
I'd totally suggest Milani. They have lovely eyeshadow colors that aren't too expensive. I've seen some girls around here talking about how they have MAC dupes, but I don't know if that's true.

I don't think having drugstore brands in your kit will make you look unprofessional. It's about how you conduct yourself & the work you do, too!

naijapretty

crown brushes are okay, but stick to the italian badger series (red wooden handles), also their face brushes tend to shed a bit or feel a tad scratchy. so wash them with some conditioner. But their eye brushes r great. Also try Sephora platinum brushes n def. do the art store brushes for foundation. concealer, lip n powder brushes.
relvon colorstay eyeliner is great, also rimmel n l'oreal voluminous is pro favorite mascara. revlon makes great lipsticks too n if u want any shimmer lotion, get revlon skinlights. its discontinued but look for a discount website n buy all ur revlon there.
shell out for foundation. You have to. try a RCMA sampler palette $60. try a Ben nye concealer palette $36 for 12 colours.
get bronzer from NYC $3 or rimmel, blush would b a la femme palette for $39 for 10 colours which do pretty much want u need.
get ben nye luxury powders $6 or RCMA translucent $10
HTH

BEA2LS

NYX has good eyeshadows, so does milani. if you are scared of looking unprofessional, i would depot the shadows and put them in a palette, NYX and milani fit in mine quite neatly.
revoln colorstay is awesome foundation - my HG

milamonster

ook so where cna this revlon colorstay be found? i see it in target...but it says spf...is this the same one? or is it a kind WITHOUT spf?
any spots online to purchase it??

leenybeeny

I wholeheartedly agree with looking at some Avon products. Their Glimmersticks liners for lips, brows and eyes are amazing. Their lipsticks are great quality and their Glazewear glosses are very highly pigmented and silky (but they don't have a very high shine factor). They also have really good foundations. Their cream blushes in the stick form are also wonderful and long lasting. The only things from them I wouldn't bother with are their concealers or pigmented powder products (eyeshadows and blushes), I don't find they last long enough.

metal_romantic

Hmmm, I found their lipsticks and Glazewear to be useless. They wouldn't stick to the part of the bottom lip that touches the top lip when you close your mouth, so when I opened my mouth I'd have all this colour and then a pink bit in the middle. Ewww. I use their perfect match concealer everyday as a base on my eyelids and it works wonderfully. I used to use Lancome concealer but discovered this was the same thing, pretty much.
I haven't tried Glimmersticks, but now I want to, thanks Leenybeeny.

metal_romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxgoldstarsxx
th_confused_new.gif
I'm especially concerned about brushes, because MAC brushes are largely out of the question for now. I was thinking of trying Crown brushes, since they're a wholesaler for a lot of MU lines' private labels and I've heard good things about them.

e.l.f. (Shop Eyes Lips Face | e.l.f. Cosmetics) sell a range of "studio" brushes. They look nice (all black) and are only $3 each and I'm contemplating getting some as I've heard they are great for a budget option. They're all synthetic but at least that means they are cruelty-free. On the site now, they've got some kind of promotion going that will make it cheaper. They also sell brush belts for $15. A brush belt will make you feel all professional and special (well, my Lancome one does for me anyway, lol).

slick

You can sign up to be an NYX Rep, and for $99 you get a kit with TONS of products (powder foundation, all the eyeshadow trio colors, all the blushes, eyeliners, lipliners, lipsticks, and glosses) plus 50% off all other products. This was very helpful to me getting started! I agree with the RCMA foundation palette suggestion, Kryolan and Graftobian are also good and affordable. You could also just purchase 5-6 foundation colors (MAC, whatev) and mix. For brushes I also agree with Crown or elf Studio.

BEA2LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick
You can sign up to be an NYX Rep, and for $99 you get a kit with TONS of products (powder foundation, all the eyeshadow trio colors, all the blushes, eyeliners, lipliners, lipsticks, and glosses) plus 50% off all other products. This was very helpful to me getting started! I agree with the RCMA foundation palette suggestion, Kryolan and Graftobian are also good and affordable. You could also just purchase 5-6 foundation colors (MAC, whatev) and mix. For brushes I also agree with Crown or elf Studio.

NYX's eyeshadows are awesome, too - great pigment

kariii

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick

How do we sign up?

Odette

Be careful with the drug store foundations since many have spf in them. This can totally ruin you work since it photographs badly; the spf causes the light to reflect off the face.