Kits anyone?

Visual Edge

I'm an admitted kit horder (especially if they come with brushes). Around christmas I go nuts trying out all sorts of things that come in cute little themed kits from companies I've never tried. Does anyone have the same obsession or do you tend to buy individual pieces?

--------------------------------------------------

I recently bought the smashbox runway glam kit and I don't regret in the least! It comes with a travel sized primer, an eye palette with some neutral shadows and a few cream liners (the little brush included is more like a mini make-up brush than the usual sponge tip applicator, it's also double sided with a liner brush as well), a double sided lipgloss, a duo blush, and a travel sized angeled blush brush. I like everything in the kit except the primer (I use their oil-free version) which I gave to my sister but the colors of all products are gorgeous and the brush is great since I usually work better with shorter handled brushes.

I'm constantly buying kits because they tend to come with smaller amounts of each thing but a larger variety which works well when we're only using make-up on ourselves ( and the occasional friend)! I also like the savings, of course~

How do you girls feel about kits? What are some of the best ones you've purchased? Worst?

(I hope this is posted in the right area, I'm new. ><)

swaly

I actually have this exact obsession. It's a double-whammy of 1.) Knowing you're saving money, as palettes almost always offer savings compared to individual sizes and 2.) Appealing to my OCD-hoarder side. I LOVE the idea of having a large collection of colors all in one place. That's probably why I've been collecting Kryolan and Mehron palettes like crazy and why I just ordered all three Yaby palettes despite being broke!
ssad.gif

Strawberrymold

I am with you I love kits! Even though I am not using them just on myself, I like to be able to try new things without having to pay for full size, this way I can see what works and what doesn't on my clients. Also they come with smaller sizes most of the time, which I love 'cause they take up less room in my kit.

Favorite recent kits purchased:
Cargo: 7x7... awesome 7 full size products $59 comes with a blush, huge eyeshadow quad, eye liner & gloss, reverse lip liner, mascara (which is awesome by the way), & a concealer!

Smashbox: Beauty Revlations kit $29... also amazing, comes with a full size lipgloss in this really pretty coral pink color, a blush and highlighter duo, an eyeshadow trio & a cream liner palette

Korres color discovery kit $35... not a well known brand but a good one. Comes with two eye liners in black and gold, a mascara (which is pretty darn good), an eyeshadow in this pretty white frosty color (great highlight)
& some of the smoothest and best tasting lipgloss you have ever tried in this very pretty nude pink color. (all full sized)

Sorry so long... I could go on forever... like I said I like kits too.
smiles.gif

swaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever
Im ok with a shadow kit/palette.But i really dont like combination kits/palettes.Shadow/gloss/lipstick/gloss/liner etc I always find there quality so much less.And i can not stand lipstick or gloss in pan form lol Maybe im wierd i dont know lol

I totally agree with this––that's why I prefer palettes that have a lot of the same type of thing, rather than those cutesy novelty/theme kits that have a dab of cream liner, a bit of gloss, two eyeshadows, a tiny blush, etc. They're quite attractive, but I like certain things, like cream liners especially, to be in its own dedicated container––airtight, hopefully––and not sharing space with other disparate products.

I also always get eyeshadow in my lipstick, etc., when different products share space.

Visual Edge

StrawberryMold- I'll be checking out that cargo kit! Sounds great and I've really liked all the cargo stuff I've tried. Thanks!

Forever- I also dislke lip products in pans, for the most part. They just work better in tubes. Eyeshadows, on the other hand, are great in palettes because when your make-up is only being used on you, you just don't need a full pan of most colors. I like having the little kits because you get a variety without having tooons of unused product leftover.

Swaly- Just to clarify, although the smashbox palette has cream liner sharing space with shadows, the e/s are on the top and you pull them out to reveal the liners so there's no risk of mixing shadow and liner. The colors in the kit are a soft grey, a goldey brown, and a deep brown. While I definitely like having my black creme liner in it's own container its nice to have these three colors that I use less often bunched up in the palette because it's more purse friendly and I wouldnt need a full container of each color.
smiles.gif
I really hate lip products in my palettes, though so I usually end up scooping all the product out of the pan and disposing of it. XD It's so easy to get eyeshadow stuck to it, even if its just jiggling around in your make-up bag.

anita22

I LOVE kits and palettes... I'm always buying them "for travel", yet when it comes to actually going someplace I ended up taking loads of full-size products anyway
tong.gif
. For some reason I don't really use my MAC holiday palettes that often, does anyone else find this??

I bought one of the Smashbox kits just after Xmas and I have to say, it was great value and one of the few sets I've bought where I use everything regularly. In fact, my Caviar cream eyeliner is nearly gone already! I'll definitely be getting more of these, it's just a shame Smashbox doesn't have much of a presence here in the UK.

Visual Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberrymold
I am with you I love kits! Even though I am not using them just on myself, I like to be able to try new things without having to pay for full size, this way I can see what works and what doesn't on my clients. Also they come with smaller sizes most of the time, which I love 'cause they take up less room in my kit.

Favorite recent kits purchased:
Cargo: 7x7... awesome 7 full size products $59 comes with a blush, huge eyeshadow quad, eye liner & gloss, reverse lip liner, mascara (which is awesome by the way), & a concealer!

Smashbox: Beauty Revlations kit $29... also amazing, comes with a full size lipgloss in this really pretty coral pink color, a blush and highlighter duo, an eyeshadow trio & a cream liner palette

Korres color discovery kit $35... not a well known brand but a good one. Comes with two eye liners in black and gold, a mascara (which is pretty darn good), an eyeshadow in this pretty white frosty color (great highlight)
& some of the smoothest and best tasting lipgloss you have ever tried in this very pretty nude pink color. (all full sized)

Sorry so long... I could go on forever... like I said I like kits too.
smiles.gif

I bought the 7 in 7 kit a few days ago as per your recommendation and I adore it!

Unfortunately, the concealor in the fair kit is #2 instead of the #1 my skin needs which is sad because the texture of this concealor is great and the tube is soo big.
ssad.gif
I'll probably end up giving it away but I may have to give the #1 a try down the road.

I adore the blush, the mascara is great though slightly watery, the eyeshadow quad comes with a huuuge amount of product and the brow color is matte (which is a huge deal for me! I dont like shimmer under my brow), love the timestrip lipgloss and I cant wait to try the reverse lipliner with red lips. This kit is an amazing value and a great introduction to cargo for anyone who isn't familiar with them. Thanks for letting me know about it and I hope more girls pick it up. You just can't beat that price!

Anita- Ive always been very pleased with smashbox kits. I love that they usually come with brushes and none of their products have ever broken out my sensitive skin.