KJ Bennets' "In My Kit - Guide to what Pro Makeup Artists Use"

ratmist

Many of you may have seen this site already, but I saw it recently for the first time and thought it was great! I thought I'd post this because maybe others like me hadn't yet seen it. So many types/brands of makeup I didn't know about and a lot that is already in my stash. It's a great resource if you're looking for new stuff and have a bit of cash to splash!

http://madenyc.com/artistchoice.html

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingWaves
This is a great resource. I have not seen a lot of the products discussed on this site. Thank you.

smiles.gif
I love how he puts bargain-hunter stuff in there. Makes me feel justified for liking a lot of the drugstore brands over some of the more expensive lines.

Ms. Z

Thanks. Very helpful site, I'm going to look into some of these products.
I didn't see anything by MAC.
hmm.gif

kjbennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblackened
That's kind of the point of that site. Google "MAC boycott" for details, or check out this thread (click!) for starters.

That might have been the original intent for the site. But it has evolved far past that and is now a clear look into what professional artists are actually using on a global basis.

I admit that MAC has been omitted for obvious reasons. But I must clarify that even if there was no boycott, the quality of MAC Cosmetics in their present reformulated, Estee Lauderized, "consumer friendly" versions no longer meet Pro standards. They might be OK for streetwear these days, but they certainly don't cut it on set anymore. I feel sorry for the poor artists forced to use MAC products that their production has accepted for free in exchange for screen credit. There job is now twice as hard and doesn't look half as good as it could.

As arists and consumers, don't you find it a little suspect that MAC Cosmetics gives away tons of free makeup to secure promotional credit, tear sheets, editorials, etc. (BTW- if you're wondering how they pay for all this swag being thrown around...look in the mirror)
If the stuff is still so amazing and coveted by professionals, why aren't these raves coming from us without being buried in freebies?
I used to talk about MAC in the press all the time when they were making quality makeup.
http://kjbennett.com/emmy_style.htm
I stopped talking about MAC Cosmetics in the press way before there was any boycott because I didn't like what was happening to all the products I used and loved.
Studio Fix used to be a staple in my kit...now it's a thick, greasy powder (how they made a powder greasy escapes me) and it breaks everyone out. I have MAC eyeshadows from the early 90's that have DOUBLE the pigment of the same colors produced today (when did Orb become a "sheer" eyeshadow?). And let's not even get started on all these LE's.

Yes, the boycott excludes MAC Cosmetics from the IN MY KIT website, but the diminished quality would have kept it off there anyway.

MiCHiE

Great post, kj.

ETA: Your page is an excellent source for those who want to look good but don't know where to go and those like the rest of us who just want to expand the kit or horizons.

j_absinthe

His Kit guide acts as sort of a bible for me. I don't agree with all of his choices, but he definently makes alot of interesting selections for the professional MUA.

silverblackened

Sorry, kj, I didn't mean to sound like that the only point to your site (which is awesome) was to diss MAC. I just didn't want to go into the whole "Lauderized" saga all over again, and figured that it would just be easier (and more educational?) if anyone who was curious about the absence of MAC recommendations looked up the reasons for that for themselves.

Again, if I sounded dismissive or otherwise offensive to you/your site in any way, I apologise.

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbennett
That might have been the original intent for the site. But it has evolved far past that and is now a clear look into what professional artists are actually using on a global basis.

Hi! Your site is really cool! I'm a consumer, not a makeup artist, but I take the viewpoint that if I'm going to spend the money, I want something that works. 95% of what I spend on makeup is eye-makeup or skincare. I don't really mess around with anything else too much.

That being said, could you maybe include more basic products that European (particularly British!) people can get? I've long wanted to have some Kryolan, Make Up For Ever and Ben Nye products, but it's very hard to get these if you live in the UK. Financially speaking, any gain made by purchasing these less-expensive products would be negated by the cost of shipping to Europe. And Britain still doesn't have a Sephora
ssad.gif

EDIT! After hunting around for days on Google, I finally found a UK supplier of Kryolan: http://www.show-bizcentre.com/2uk/ The palette I wanted was the Prof. Eye Shadow Set - 8 Shades, and they're selling it for £31.95 inc VAT. Not sure what shipping costs. I wonder how much that same palette costs in the States? £32 is approximately $64USD right now. They also have the 5 shadow palettes for £11.95. I'll be saving up for these!

kjbennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverblackened
I just didn't want to go into the whole "Lauderized" saga all over again, and figured that it would just be easier (and more educational?) if anyone who was curious about the absence of MAC recommendations looked up the reasons for that for themselves.

Again, if I sounded dismissive or otherwise offensive to you/your site in any way, I apologise.

When a statement that "reads" as dismissive or flip is made, people are generally inclined to defend themselves. Although your intent was not to "sound" offensive, you forget that no one can hear the tone of your voice in a forum post, so you must choose words carefully.
Your words created suspicion concerning the motives behind the IN MY KIT website.
I know that you offered a thread link and suggested a Google search, but...
Many people won't bother to look things up, follow a link or read a long blog entry. So, a short, concise explanation was needed. I apologize if you feel it's a tired subject, but the "whole Lauderized saga" was an important information point.

I've spent hundreds of uncompensated hours researching, testing, polling respected pro artists and updating the IN MY KIT website. My only intent is to offer a competent and progressive resource for my peers, newbies to the industry and savvy consumers that want their money's worth.
IN MY KIT is my baby and when you say negative things about someone's kid you have to expect to hear from the parent.

all the best,
KJ

kjbennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmist

That being said, could you maybe include more basic products that European (particularly British!) people can get? I've long wanted to have some Kryolan, Make Up For Ever and Ben Nye products, but it's very hard to get these if you live in the UK.

ScreenFace is one of the largest resources for professional makeup products in the UK. They carry both Ben Nye and Kryolan.
http://www.screenface.com/

Make Up For Ever can be found at:
[SIZE=-1]MAP (Make-Up Artist Provisons) Ltd
6 Goldhawk Mews, London, W12 8PA
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Tel : 020 8740 6788

I hope this helps,
KJ
[/SIZE]

ratmist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbennett
ScreenFace is one of the largest resources for professional makeup products in the UK. They carry both Ben Nye and Kryolan.
http://www.screenface.com/

Make Up For Ever can be found at:
[SIZE=-1]MAP (Make-Up Artist Provisons) Ltd
6 Goldhawk Mews, London, W12 8PA
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Tel : 020 8740 6788

I hope this helps,
KJ
[/SIZE]

Dear KJ,

urock.gif

Love,
ratling

lilchocolatema

In My Kit is a huge resource for me. KJ really made me curious about the Face Atelier foundations, which I ended up buying samples of from their site. Also, I went to a Billy B. seminar at The Makeup Show and he even raved about them. I highly suggest you all check them out, they are FABulous!

shinygolden

Just want to add my $.02 worth. I love In My Kit, and have discovered awesome products through KJ's listings. Because it was recommended there, I also tried out Face Atelier shimmers and foundations--lovely. Thanks for all your hard work, KJ.

j_absinthe

Oh snap, I didn't realize KJ was a member here!

Thanks, KJ! You know how to break a bitch's bank, but most of your recs are really worth it (the Cinema Secrets foundation palettes come to mind.)

If/While I have you attention, KJ, what say you about Cinema Secrets' Primer?

MiCHiE

You changed your username! I was looking at that signature like, "Wait....this is familiar...".