Life In Color: Visual Therapy's Guide to the Perfect Palette... has anyone read this?

euphrosyne_rose

I wasn't sure where to post this thread since it's not technically about m/u and I'm not really asking for recommendations from anyone so please feel free to move if not in the correct spot...

I got this book the other day with a g/c I got for Xmas and I was transfixed by this. These 2 guys have been guests on Oprah before and act as stylists to help people learn which palette is more flattering to them. I got this book b/c I was so glued to all the colors in it. Basically it's about taking this quiz to find out what your color palette is and it's sort of based on the old school system of determining whether you were a Spring, Summer, Autumn of Winter. This book divides you as well into the 4 categories but they are Sun, Moon, Earth and Star and give you about 11 questions plus side help to determine your color palette. Can I tell you it took me over an HOUR to finish it b/c I kept stopping to do the little tricks to figure certain questions out.

Here's the thing: for me, I've always been told I was an "olive" toned girl and the past year or so when I go into MAC or any other store, I'm always told as well that the yellow undertones are very prominent in my skin. I tan easily but if I haven't got a tan, I have almost no color to my cheeks and usually blush bright pink. I'm Caucasian with a family ancestry of Welsh, Hungarian, French, Czech and possibly some American Indian. I have dark brown hair that does sort of have faint redness to it when the sun hits it and I have grayish green eyes. Most of the questions led me to leaning to the warm side of things but quite a few questions also pushed me into the cool category. There is a section in though that says if you fall into the olive category, olive is always assumed to be warm but in reality is cool. I know there's some confusion and dispute about undertones at places like MAC where their system is supposedly backwards but I was floored to learn olive was cool toned.

The one major test that also floored me was the comparison of a white and khaki colored shirt against your face, white being considered cool and khaki warm. Both my sister and I agreed that the white was 100x better on me and I always thought white would look like rubbish on me. When it came down to tallying your color type, I was a Star which is considered cool. When I checked out the color palette, I was astounded to see that nearly every color on it were colors I had been complimented on when wearing them. It was eye opening but at the same time, part of me still can't quite believe I'm truly a Star. I also read a part where it said that Stars should avoid peachy colored blushes and I love peach, but I always thought that Orgasm, which is supposed to look so great on everyone, actually looked a bit blah on me. I keep picking this book up and flipping through it, looking through the color palettes and the suggestions. Has anyone else read this book or heard of it? I was thinking it'd be nice to have a chat about the subject and see how many people may be like me.
peace2.gif

euphrosyne_rose

Now I'm starting to doubt myself and think I'm not a Star just b/c I'm not sure what "olive" means. Is it the same as yellow? If you have yellow undertones does that mean "golden" or "tawny"? I'm so confused now!! The age old question of "what undertones do I have" is a hard one!

sherrykus

I also was shocked to find I looked better in white than khaki. My skin is very pale, neither warm nor cool to my eye and my eyes and hair seem warm. I always thought I was an fall, but one who wore some spring and winter colors well. According to this book I'm a star. And I must say, all the colors seem to suit, even the ones I'd never thought to try. I still have my coral lipstick, blush and scarves. Like you, I never got the fuss over the orgasm blush--didn't do much for my skin. I'm thinking the star palette is for people who are a mix of cool and warm? They do talk about contrasts between hair eyes and skin. :)