Lipliner

Dreamergirl3

I have 4. Two are nude-y but with different undertones and slightly different in shade, one is a fuschia (only bought it for my fuschia lipstick though, hardly use it), and the other is one that matches my lip color PERFECTLY. Sorry I don't have the names, they're all cheap NYC or Jordana (another cheaper drugstore brand) seeing as I don't like to spend much on lip liners.
I use the lip colored one the most. It's great to look polished and hard to really tell because of the color. I use it to line with various different lip colors. You only need as much as you want! I for one hardly ever wear lipstick (i'm a gloss girl) so it's usually the liner and clear gloss, but I know people who always wear lipstick and have TONS of liners. hth!

lara

In theory, all you need is skin tone base beige and skin tone base pink.

In practice, however, you also need lipliners for colours that are significantly different from your skintone and would go muddy when placed over beige/pink, so they require their own shade of lipliner. Red is the classic example.

So the answer is 'how long is a piece of string?' Everyone is different, and it all depends on what sort of lipstick colours you own.

d_flawless

i have seven and literally use two, unless i'm wearing a red lip or a really bold shade of burgandy.
soar is a good basic, as with subculture. dervish is good, too...those are some neutrals for an nc-20.
and for reds, i use brick.
i doubt u need more than three, lol. like lara said, a pink and a beige, and a must *extra* is a red one, if you're like me and get messy

kimmy

i had two, MAC Subculture and MAC Summerfruit, but i never really used either of them. and then i have FL!RT Cherry Pie for when i do red lips. i don't have either of the MAC ones anymore, i didn't see the point of keeping them if i was never going to use them...so i only had the Cherry Pie one now
smiles.gif

you don't really need a whole lot of lipliners, and for lighter lipstick shades, you don't need any lipliner at all IMO. but a red one is a must have if you're ever going to wear red, to keep it from bleeding/feathering
winks.gif

bellaetoile

i have three, one stila shade, and two MAC ones. all are about the same shade, nude-ish. i use mac spice, or mac whirl as a base, after a coat of prep and prime lip. i'd really like a more plum colored one, and a brighter pink, but so far, the nude ones have sufficed. i don't use lip liner, or lipstick, often enough to really have a bunch of them. i do recommend having at least one good shade that's close to your natural lip color. if nothing else, it can even out your lips to a nice, healthy tone, and looks great with just a clear gloss over it, when you fill in your lips.