Looking for eyeshadow help- colour changing?

Jai

I've had problems with this before- notably with Urban Decay. I find some colours (particularly blues and greens) seem to change colour when applied to my skin- either my eyes or even just touched on to my wrist. They seem to go black- not jet black, but almost as though there's a layer of black powder shadow beneath it, and it looks black on a tissue/q tip if you wipe it off. I thought I'd at least avoided this problem when I got a pot of Mac Deep Truth- it was the first dark blue I'd ever been able to wear that didn't go darker/duller. However when I went to use some the other day, it seems to be affecting that too now.

Does anyone have any advice/experience of this? I thought I was safe with this because of the higher pigment levels. I was wondering if it would be any better to try and find the colour I wanted in a pigment (no idea which shade of blue is closest though- it doesn't help that I live in the UK over 100 miles from the nearest Mac counter), but I'm gutted that I could be going to lose the colour I love.

Sorry for the long post.

astronaut

Hmm I'm not sure, but are you using a base underneath the shadows? Maybe it's the oil in your skin making darker? And I'm going to throw this in just because I did it lol: A long time ago when I never thought about swiping my brush between uses, I wondered to myself why the colours were looking different (because there was residue from the other colours of course haha).

Dianora

I can't quite picture what you're describing, but I know with my skin, blues NEVER stay true to their color in the pot when I put them on, whether it's my eyes or the backs of my hands. They either go greyer or greener.

Jacq-i

I had the same problem with my Trax e/s by MAC. It looked so pretty in the pan, but on it changed into an unflattering shade of purple.
ssad.gif
Then I read in another thread that by placing a pink color under it as a base (Da Bling) then using Trax, it'll help it keep its color. I tried it and it worked!

I would suggest putting lots of e/s swatches on your arm, then put the colors you want on top, to see if they will work for you.

Good luck!

Holly

I have the exact same problem with a ton of NARS shadows, no matter how colourful they look, they turn black on me! I always thought that was just me lol

karinaf

I use a base under my eyeshadows to keep them more true to what you seen in the pan. Baselight paint (i think thats what is called) is popular, but I dont use it, hah. I use UDPP with beige-ing shadestick, or depensding on what colors I'm using shimmermint, mangomix, royal hue, etc. However, I think beige-ing is a must have for any collection as you can put it under any color and it will make it totally pop. Hope that helps!

Jacq-i

I agree with karinaf, a good eye shadow base helps! But for my shadow Trax, it still didn't matter, lol.

courters

I agree that you should try it with Beige-ing shadestick underneath. If you don't have one, you could go look for a cheaper version at the drugstore and try it on that - and then if it works, you could order one from the MAC website (since you can't just go to the store and try it out). I don't know what kind of makeup brands you have in the UK, but I know a couple brands in the US make a sort of cream eyeshadow in a stick form and the more neutral shades will give the same sort of effect in a pinch.

Jai

Thanks for all the suggestions.
smiles.gif
I'm going to try looking out for something similar to a shadestick next time I get the chance. I think someone suggested mac paint in Bare Canvas once too, but I'm really pale and usually only wear dark colours in a line above my lashline, so I have to watch what I use or I end up with darker/orange-looking streaks, which means that I can't order anything like base/concealers without having tried them first. Incidentally, I do always put powder beneath shadow, but it only stops it creasing temporarily (and not for long), it doesn't help with the colour problem. I think I'm going to try getting some UDPP, as that's one thing I can get fairly near here (when it's actually in stock) so I'll try that, and an eyeshadow stick if I can find one.