M.A.C. consumers & employees...advise please?

tabou82

Hello everyone! I've read most of the earlier posts on working for M.A.C. but I would like to ask you guys if I am going about this wrong. I turned in my app to the counter (I live in Birmingham and there are no stores--only two counters) a couple of weeks ago. Well, after reading the previous posts, I decided to bring in my resume but I was told that as long as I turned in the app, there was no need for a resume. A lot of the MA's are not very friendly and therefore could not provide details of the app process specific to that counter. I did talk to one MA today while purchasing some items and I asked her about working there. She stated all of them started off as freelancers before moving on to permanent but that it's really hard to become permanent because no one EVER leaves that counter but this is the best time to freelance because of the holidays. She also stated that I could contact the manager who happened to walk right past us into the backroom (the MA advised me later that she was the manager) but the MA didn't bother to introduce me or anything. One of the other MA's commented on my eye makeup (how cutesy it was!!) while the other MA's replied, "yeah it is cute and she wants to freelance" which led to a veil of silence after I affirmed my ambition. I asked to speak to the Manager but the MA was like she's still at lunch. I always read how the MA's are really helpful to customers and future employees but I'm not getting that feeling at this counter. Everyone that works at this particular counter is white and although I don't think they are racist, but because I was born and raised in Alabama, I know that those ideals exist even among the most "egalitarian-minded" of individuals. I'm not interested in pettiness but rather doing make-up, which I love, at M.A.C. My goal is to freelance now with M.A.C. and move into a permanent position when I relocate back to New Orleans where they've just built a M.A.C. store at Lakeside Mall. Am I behind the eightball? Or should I just up my game and come on harder until I get the attention of the manager? I don't want to be a pest...

diorgrl

Hi there! I say go for it and go directly to the manager
smiles.gif
Good luck!

Bernadette

I lived in Birmingham for a a little while
smiles.gif
I went to school in Pelham.
The folks were always nicer to me at the Saks counter, surprisngly. People pretty much hated me and looked at me like a freak everywhere I went on a daily basis. Apparently the short hair and tattoos just didn't go over well down there. I can't even begin to explain the judgement I recieved constantly. I still love and miss the south though! But, yes there are a lot of "old ideals" shall we say that are still very prevelant down there and one can't really understand until they've seen it.
Anyway, maybe you should call and ask to speak to the manager and just tell her you were hoping she had a chance to review your application and then explain your ambitions. I would say you should stop by again but I'm not sure if that will get you anywhere due to the recation you already recieved. Keep us posted!
Oh and, you are frekaing gorgeous and your makeup is amazing! MAC would be lucky to have you!

tabou82

Thanks you guys for the insight. I'm not going to give up and I really hope that maybe that day was just a bummer! Also, Bernadette you rock!!! Sometimes the South, especially Alabama, can be extremely unreceptive to anything that looks, acts or smells like "fun"! I will try to follow up with the manager at during this week. Also, do you have to put in separate applications at each counter? If so, i'll venture out to Saks this week as well! Thanks guys!
smiles.gif

Bernadette

I think that you might as well take an application and your resume to the Saks counter. Even if they communicate with each other, maybe you will have better luck getting the ball rolling there. Thanks for saying I rock
tong.gif

diorgrl

Yikes...there are never those kind of issues up in Canada! I couldn't even imagine how that would even be...? It's very excepting of everyone and everything up here
smiles.gif