Mac and veganism

BunnyBunnyBunny

Also note these brushes are synthetic and the bristles are NOT derived from animals:

169 - Synthetic Angled Face/Blush Brush
189 - Face Brush
190 - Foundation Brush
191 - Square Foundation Brush
192 - Cheek/Face Brush
194 - Concealor Brush
195 - Concealor Brush
202 - Replaceable Sponge-Tip Applicator
204 - Lash Brush
205 - Mascara Fan Brush
209 - Eyeliner
210 - Precise Eye Liner Brush
211 - Synthetic Pencil Brush
212 - Flat Definer
223 - Synethetic Tapered Blending Brush
231 - Small Shader
242 - Shader Brush
249 - Large Shader
252 - Large Shader Brush
263 - Small Angle
306 - Lip Brush
311 - Lip Liner
316 - Lip Brush/Covered Brush
318 - Retractable Lip

Hope that helps!
smiles.gif
I find that MAC has really nice synthetic brushes too, and aren't of awful quality.

Source: Cosmetosaur.

chickatthegym

^Cool, thanks for that post!

In case anyone was wondering, I have the 190, 194, 209, 231, 219, 223, 242, 252, and 316SE brushes from the list above and they've all been GREAT! I didn't even know they were synthetic (have had them way before I went vegan) and many have lasted me 5+ years so far.

aeroerin

Thanks so much for the synthetic brush list! I've been vegetarian for 2.5 years and, in addition, I avoid leather, wool, and other "lifestyle" items that include certain animal products. Though I will buy natural bristle makeup brushes if I need them (hey, I'm an imperfect person), I try to go synthetic whenever possible.

liquidsirenhoney

Thanks to everyonef ro sharing this info. I have been a vegetarian for a while and have gone back and forth between it for various health reasons but at this point i have been a vegetarian for the last 3 years, and after starting to read Skinny Bitch I'm thinking about going vegan, i do have a lot of products from Urban Decay as well as their brushes. I have a ridiculous MAC collection including brushes so at this point i don't see the point of getting rid of them, but in the future i will pay attention more to what i buy.

jama1

I can tell you, that claim is just marketing. They get the hair from the same Chinese farms that coat manufacturers get them from. Most of the animal hair from brushes is inhumanely obtained. Period.

Don't believe what companies say about "natural" brush hair. Buy synthetic. Period!!!

jama1

I have been a "beauty vegan" for some time now. While I do eat some forms of meat, I use 100% vegan skincare, makeup and brushes. If a brush doesn't claim to be vegan, chances are the animals were harmed when getting the hair. After all, companies do no check all of the fur farmers to see how they cut and gather the hair....

There are many many ingredients in cosmetics that are derived from animals, not just carmine and lanolin. You would be shocked. PETA has a list of ingredients that are animal derived:

http://www.peta.org/living/vegetarian-living/animal-ingredient-guide.aspx

I will only use products that are 100% vegan approved. The makeup I use is called Christopher Drummond Beauty. most of the products and all of the brushes are vegan, and it's an amazing line. It's a little more difficult with skincare.

Peta also has a list of approved makeup and skincare lines...check it out. It's the best way to know for sure!

Good luck!

naturallyfab

I'm so glad I stopped by this thread! I feel a lot better buying mac products since they don't test on animals! I didn't know that before! I guess you learn something new every day :D

emmasoapbox

If you are looking for some cheap vegan and cruelty free cosmetics have a read of this blog: (Link removed by mod. Please keep links to your blog / website confined to your signature. Thanks!)

My faves that include vegan options are: e.l.f and Sonia Kashuk :) I'm deffo making some better options with regards to buying vegan and cruelty free cosmetics.