MAC and your significant other

Elusive21

How does your significant other feel about your MAC collection & obsession? Is he/she supportive, confused about why you like makeup so much, oblivious to the whole thing, or dissapointed?
th_dunno.gif

My hubby loves the fact that I have a new hobby now (now I spend less time bugging him and more time making myself look good lol). He's been telling me for years to get a productive hobby so here it finally is. He also goes with me to the makeup counter once or twice a month and helps me pick out eyeshadows and other products that I wouldn't normally buy for myself. He doesn't really care how much I spend (probably cause he know I don't spend too much - I'm usually pretty picky about products I want to buy and do a lot of research) and has even bought me some makeup with his own money and bought me a MAC traincase for our anniversary.

FiestyFemme

I think my husband accepts my love of makeup. He doesn't understand why I need so many colors, but he doesn't really care. He even buys me stuff occasionally when he knows I really want it. Makeup makes me happy, and video games make him happy. I think we have an understanding.
winks.gif

TISH1124

My husband does not mind at all...as a matter of fact he buys most of it....and always gets me MAC GC's for gifts....He has his Golf, Rover and Studio Equipment...I have my Makeup and Apparel Obsessions ....By the way My MU/Apparel Obsession cost about 1/4 of what his studio equipment, truck mods and golf costs ...So I guess what can he complain about ...Wish he would even dare care !!

Juxtapose

I don't think my s/o takes my hobby seriously yet. I don't think he realizes it's just a hobby and a creative outlet for me. Sometimes I get comments about how I should care less about aesthetics...basically, commenting on the vanity of makeup, etc. <sigh>...this really bothers me because I don't enjoy makeup for the sake of looking beautiful alone. I enjoy learning techniques of applying it and the whole artistry that goes into it. It's more to me then just "playing with makeup." Does anyone else get this from their s/o? Maybe I'm just being too sensitive, but sometimes it makes me feel silly for buying and wearing makeup.

tepa1974

My SO is not supportive at all (although he does buy me things when he is near the MAC Freestanding store...weird). He makes snippy, little comments about my "love" for makeup and how it takes up too much of my time. It sucks because I used to share my excitement with him when I'd get new products and I don't do that anymore. I try to explain to him that my collection is nothing compared to some that I've seen and that it is a hobby for me but I've given up on trying to explain it to him. I just enjoy my passion quietly now. I know...it's sad but it's alright with me when I'm taking out my new goodies!!!

Elusive21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestyFemme
Makeup makes me happy, and video games make him happy. I think we have an understanding.
winks.gif

ha ha - that describes us so well.

pdtb050606

He is pretty supportive, he knows how much I love makeup and the whole art part of it so he gets it. He does think I have too much, but he doesn't really complain about it. It's really sweet b/c he will still sit in my makeup room with me while I show him my new goodies and even act interested
lol.gif
He loves to hunt and do anything outdoors so we both take an interest in eachothers hobbies/passions
smiles.gif

I even went hunting with him one time-but NEVER again. He calls me his little tree hugger lol

Juxtapose

What I think is funny is that my s/o sometimes makes fun of me for being a "pretty" girl. Ok, I love my cosmetics and looking good for him, but I've always been a sporty, outdoors-y girl, and he acts like I would die without makeup. I'm totally ok going without makeup, but unless I'm roughing it, I will always choose to wear makeup. I think it makes you look put together and that you care enough to present yourself in a put-together way to other people, like at work. I feel badly for other women who I see go without makeup on a daily basis. Maybe some don't care to, but I have to wonder if most people just don't have a general knowledge of how to wear makeup. I know I had a lot to learn when I started.

Ok, back on topic. It's the jokes about not surviving w/o makeup that kind of get to me after awhile. I mean, I'm a girl who grew up camping every year in the Boundary Waters with my family. Not that this has to be about wilderness, but I even have my rifle license (he doesn't!) ...I get no props for these things, lol. He's a very non-serious, jokey kind of guy, so he's just teasing me a lot of times. I know he doesn't really mean it, but still.

I always tell him, hey you can't knock me for wanting to look good. I think it's important to take care of yourself, not only for you, but also for your s/o. It shows you care enough to want to impress him/her also. It's like a win-win situation, lol.
smiles.gif
Besides, I refuse as a woman to ever "let myself go."

ms. kendra

My husband totally understands my obsession. I work in the beauty field so this isn't anything new to him. I always show him my goodies, and he knows when it's time for me to hit the mall for a MAC fix!
He thinks it's cute.

cazgh

My hubby thinks I am nuts!! But he supports me anyway. He comes shopping with me, gives me opinions (always nice and constructive) when I try out looks, buys me stuff, always compliments me and shows great interest in it - even tho it bores him silly.

LOL - he even came shoppping with me the other day and said something like "look hun this mascara comes in a waterproof version" - it wasnt these exact words but it basically was too much info for a man to ever know about make up and show how much he is prepared to put up with it cos he is a really lovely guy!!

He has his car obsession which deffo costs as much or more and my collection really is tiny compared to almost everybody elses. In fact I make fun of him for how long he spends cleaning and polishing his car - so if anything I think I should be more supportive really - its me that lets him down..

Oh man I have to try harder
winks.gif

Vlcatko

Ha ha, my boyfriend is amused by my newest hobby
winks.gif

All I had been splurging my money on before were books. And since a) I have run out of space for the time being and b) I have a stash to last me a loooong time of books yet unread... So I guess he is OK with it because I do not spend money on anything else and he is curious/surprised because I had never worn makeup before my obsession started this January XD

He has been to a MAC store with me several times and he was like a roe startled by headlights - frozen in his tracks, eyes fixed at the bright colors and dashing to safety as soon as he managed to come out of the initial shock
greengrin.gif

He makes "funny" comments about how much I have already, what is the need of this and that but he's bought me a couple of things already and he promised me a couple of goodies for my birthday when the Makeup Art Cosmetics collection comes out here so I guess no complaints here
winks.gif

joey444

My hubby is totally supportive and he's so cute, he likes to surprise me with things he buys me. For example, I told him how I had missed out on Rated "R" and that it was sold out in all the counters by me but I was OK with it. Well this week, I get an Ebay package....a Rated "R" eyeshadow. He knows it's what makes me happy; he laughs when he sees me taking pictures of myself but guess what? Our three year old is ALREADY obessed with makeup and has recently started trying to take pictures of herself...lolol...SHE'S THREE!!! Overall, he's fine with it as long as I don't go on a crazy over the top haul....which I never do...=)

Skin*Deep

my husband completely encourages it and supports it, he spoils me.....he loves how happy and excited I get about it all.

banana1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiestyFemme
Makeup makes me happy, and video games make him happy. I think we have an understanding.
winks.gif

haha! both me and my boyfriend enjoy our video games... so i think i'm already in his good books from the start!

my boyfriend is so supportive, although he does groan and say 'you spent how much?!' but when he likes my make up he tells me i look gorgeous, and that makes it feel that much better.

he jokes that when we move in together this year he's going to have to rent an extra room just for all my stuff!
but at the same time he says i should go for it and apply for a job in mac and go on a make up artist course etc etc. but i think he'd be like that about anything i was interested in! i think if some one truely loves you, they wont try to change you, or make you feel bad about what makes you happy.

he hasn't bought me mac yet, but its only a matter of time! i'm asking for mac giftcards this christmas. but i think i'd rather my boyfriend got me something more treasured as a gift, like jewelery, i'd hate for something he gave me to run out, or be used up, it would be sad!

Prototype83

<- <- <- the guy sitting next to me in the avi pic is an ENABLER!!!
th_LMAO.gif

My baby is suppotive of my "addiction" :0). Whenever, I'm down, or I have something to celebrate (school, work...hell, Saturdays lol) he'll say "Wanna go to MAC?? I'm sure they have something you'll like." He will even sit and wait as I rummage the store (most of the time, I just make sure to get him something to eat in the car while I go in...it distracts him from the time!). Love him!!!

nichollecaren

LOL I have all my makeup in a drawer...yesterday when I opened the drawer his eyes went
icon_eek.gif
! Then he sheepishly asked abt 5 minutes later..."ahh do you plan to buy anymore?" I answered: "ahhh not MUCH more"
th_LMAO.gif

Then he looks up and says "so what...grade of brush didnt you get
th_confused_new.gif
"

It was hilarious. I think our marriage will be fun

gildedangel

My boyfriend is very supportive, he will even go buy me makeup. He doesn't understand why I like it so much, but he accepts it.
smiles.gif

OneDollarBuddha

My boyfriend is real supportive. He buys me most of it (I'm a starving student!) I don't do big hauls, so maybe that's why he doesn't complain about the amount being spent. He doesn't care if I wear it or not, but he likes it because it makes me happy. We're having a bit of a storage crisis with my collection but he has yet to complain.
It goes both ways, I'd never whine about the money or time spent on his video game hobby. Of course, I enjoy them too, so I guess we're a good match.