MAC Artist career questions -

van_dudette

I was wondering how a person becomes an artist for mac and if you are one are you doing it as a long term job or just to carry you through until you find something else/ finish university or whatever.

MisStarrlight

How to get a job with MAC:Go in & apply.

Personally, I am very torn. I have a degree in art education & am thinking of going back to school get my MFA.

But I really enjoy my job with MAC & have a lot of suport from some of my coworkers, my managers & my trainer that part of me wants to stay with MAC & make a career out of it. I could totally see myself as a trainer-and apprently other people can as well.

I know it's terrible, but right now it all comes down to money & whichever is going to pay me the most is where I'm going to go right now.

amoona

I'm going to school for Poli Sci (supposed to go to art school for Interior Design and financial aid fell through) and it's a very big passion for me. I wanted to go to law school and all that. But almost every poli sci teacher I've ever had told me I shouldn't get into law or politics because I'm not someone who would ever compromise my beliefs. So I'm sticking to Poli Sci as my major and then I really want to get my MBA when I'm done with my undergrad.

Right now I'm at MAC while I'm in school, but I wouldn't mind moving up in the ranks of management. I don't know what kind of money they make in higher rankings of management but if it's not something I feel like I can survive on then I would use my degree to walk away and get one of those "real jobs" haha.

You can totally make a career of MAC ... I've never met one disgruntled employee ... even people I've met that were fired from MAC never had anything bad to say about working there. It's a very fun company to work for and their employees are always happy, which is what attracted me to the cosmetic line and what made me want to work for them.

eyg

It is very possible to make a career in cosmetics, but it is a long, hard road (like anything really worth it.)

I have a B.S. in Business Administration and option in marketing management. Ultimately I would love to move up to a SRM or MRO position, but it's pretty hard when those positions are few and far between.

When I have a family, I would love to have a position that would pay well with nights and weekends off (upper management.) For me, I don't know if I could stay behind the counter with retail hours, lower pay, and have a family at the same time...

But I love this industry sooo much... you just gotta give it a try to see if it is for you... even if it is to get you through school (which is how I started) at least you can get an idea of what the retail part of cosmetics is about...
thmbup.gif
HTH...

van_dudette

What makeup skills are the looking for when they are hiring? Do you have to have a lot of your own makeup and brushes form MAC?

giz2000

You should have basic application skills...especially on other people. It's one thing to know how to apply makeup on yourself - it's something completely different to do it on someone else...
smiles.gif

As far as tools/makeup, you use the counter products when working there. If you do your own thing on the side, then obviously, you'll need a kit.

Remember that working for MAC is mainly a retail job. You have to be able to sell the product. It's not just doing makeup applications all day (I wish!)