MAC brush composition

mspixieears

Well, it depends. If you go on the actual website, it roughly tells you if they are synthetic or natural fibres for brush heads, and wood/hard plastic/metal for handles etc.

Unfortunately, the descriptions aren't very detailed. Boo.

martygreene

you can check makeupaddict.com's brush reviews for fiber content. Most are synthetic, pony, or goat hair.

fabulouscazza

FOr the price, its Just OK. You are probably not getting very good quality, but who knows? I would say they are good for people who are just starting out, or for people who don't take their makeup application too seriously. You would have to add a few brushes to that set anyway. You are probably better off getting a smaller amount of better quality brushes... HTH
smiles.gif

glassjaw326

well i am just starting out and dont have any mac brushes. i have no brand brushes, however i am going to the pro store tomorrow afternoon. are there any essential brushes i really need? help me out!!!

lovemichelle

I don't use mac brushes and thats because i have found lower end ones that works good. Right now I use some brush that I got like 5 years ago for blush and it works great. And some brush for powder that I got from Target real cheap. I ordered the Bare Minerals brushes with the kit of that stuff, but I also got a few covergirl brushes because they work good instead of shelling out all the money for other ones which in my opinion arent worth it.

baby_love

I have found it really hard to find a good blending brush, I've tried higher end ones like bobbi brown, but honestly, I think if you want great blending, try the 224. it's worth EVERY penny.

caffn8me

Another good blending brush is 222 which is what we were recommended to use for blending on the M·A·C training course - it was in our kits.

Here's what the brushes are made of;
Synthetic
#102, #190, #192, #204, #210, #231, #249, #263, #269, #301. #306, #311, #316, #321

Goat
#116, #129, #136, #150, #180, #186, #224

Select Goat
#109, #123, #156, #168, #174, #217, #219, #222, #239, #252, #272,

Goat Tail

White Goat

Pony
#213, #216, #228,

Japanese Pony
#225, #259, #275, #279

Pony/Synthetic
#221, #236, #242, #246, #255,

Ox/Synthetic

Undyed sponge
#201​
and no, I have no idea what the differences between the various goat types are nor the difference between pony and Japanese pony!

glassjaw326

damn well i bought the 217 today. im going back to the pro store tomorrow cause they still have alot of blue pigment from the rebelrock collection so i will try the 224 also! thanks!

caffn8me

FWIW, the brush kit supplied as part of the M·A·C Makeup School course consisted of the following;
  • #129 Powder/blush
  • #192 Foundation brush
  • #217 Blending brush
  • #219 Pencil brush
  • #222 Tapered blending
  • #249 Large shader
  • #266 Small angle
  • #316 Lip brush (covered)
This collection was considered sufficient for a professional makeup artist to achieve almost any effect they might need.

rouquinne

i buy most of my brushes at Michael's or speciality art supply stores. my September column at Naturally Curly is about brushes.

melony

Quote:
Originally Posted by rouquinne
i buy most of my brushes at Michael's or speciality art supply stores. my September column at Naturally Curly is about brushes.

there is a michael's just down the street from me. can you suggest what brushes to look out for? or can you send me a link to your column?

rouquinne

the link to my column is in my sig file.

i like Maxine's Mop by Loew-Cornell in size 3/8 and 1/4.

Dreamergirl3

MAC Brushes?

What are MAC brushes made of? On the site it says "natural fibers," which could either mean animal hair or synthetic (nylon/taklon). I dont think most of the brushes are synthetic other than the obvious ones such as mascara spools, foundation brushes and such. Also, are they first cut/top grade? Its important to me that they're first cut because thats the only real guarantee that they're the softest and also cruelty free. Also, are the ferrules double crimped? Thanks everyone in advance!

Shawna

They sure smell like goat hair if you get them wet. I think the brushes meant for creamy products are synthetic, but I am really not sure what the powder brushes are made of.

Dreamergirl3

ok cool thanks for the help. Thanks for combining my post with the previous one, it helped me out a lot! Though Im sure mac brushes are great, I would rather have pure squirrel hair brushes that are a lot cheaper than MACs goat hair ones. Even still, I do like macs eyeshadow brushes and buff brush so I think im going to purchase those as well. Thanks everyone!

caffn8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawna
I think the brushes meant for creamy products are synthetic, but I am really not sure what the powder brushes are made of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love Brian Kinney
I was told that they were made of goat hair...but I'm not totally sure.

If you go back a few posts to my previous one (it's post #10 on this thread) I list exactly which fibres are used in which brush. There may be a few brushes not listed there but what is listed there is accurate (because it comes from the M·A·C Product Handbook). As they say "seek and ye shall find"
smiles.gif