MAC Cosmetics Dame Edna Discussion Part II

makeup_queen81

uhh i am wanting this collection to come out already....i am getting everything except the nail polishes..i already told my husband i wanted this for christimas..lol
mac_addict.gif

Lialani

I love the packaging and most of the products but don't like some awful names. Is it easy to scrape off the name tags from bottoms and boxes? Or I'd use a sharpie to black the names out. The first time ever I'd prefer to have nameless and tagless products
winkiss.gif
Love Gladiola though and the name is gorgeous! This looks like a bright pink purple lippie I had in 6th grade that every girl wanted to swap
yes.gif
I've been collecting similar shades for years but never found the exact match to the color that is imprinted in my memory. Gladiola might be the one! And Pink-a-dot lip lacquer (lavender) might go perfect with it.

Sanayhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lialani
I love the packaging and most of the products but don't like some awful names. Is it easy to scrape off the name tags from bottoms and boxes? Or I'd use a sharpie to black the names out. The first time ever I'd prefer to have nameless and tagless products
winkiss.gif
Love Gladiola though and the name is gorgeous! This looks like a bright pink purple lippie I had in 6th grade that every girl wanted to swap
yes.gif
I've been collecting similar shades for years but never found the exact match to the color that is imprinted in my memory. Gladiola might be the one! And Pink-a-dot lip lacquer (lavender) might go perfect with it.

I think it is rather silly to be that concerned about the names, but if that's what you need to do, cool. Regardless of packaging, naming, marketing... it's the colour, pricing and quality that concern me.

Lialani

I disagree
smiles.gif
Names must be happy and fun. I bet the products with disease names would be selling much slower... Those are definitely not fun diseases associated with severe pain, suffering, emotional distress and medical bills. Why MAC didn't elect to donate a portion of proceeds to those medical research fund? I might feel better if they did though I'd rip off the names anyway. And why MAC didn't name Viva Glam products as disease? There must be a good reason for that other than because it's the most horrible one.
But I support your second statement, Sanayhs!
thmbup.gif
Even the brand name shouldn't really matter to someone who values what is inside the packaging. I know many people including myself who cut off the name tags off clothes, even the fancy ones. Well, it's probably a different story - most of us don't want to carry and wear the same stuff like everyone else, it's just boring. We want to customize... That's why we love MAC, for its unique shades and enormous selection, so we all could look unique by mixing and matching various shades even if it takes crossing out the names we don't like
mac_haul.gif

erine1881

Quote:
I disagree
smiles.gif
Names must be happy and fun. I bet the products with disease names would be selling much slower... Those are definitely not fun diseases associated with severe pain, suffering, emotional distress and medical bills. Why MAC didn't elect to donate a portion of proceeds to those medical research fund? I might feel better if they did though I'd rip off the names anyway. And why MAC didn't name Viva Glam products as disease? There must be a good reason for that other than because it's the most horrible one.
But I support your second statement, Sanayhs!
thmbup.gif
Even the brand name shouldn't really matter to someone who values what is inside the packaging. I know many people including myself who cut off the name tags off clothes, even the fancy ones. Well, it's probably a different story - most of us don't want to carry and wear the same stuff like everyone else, it's just boring. We want to customize... That's why we love MAC, for its unique shades and enormous selection, so we all could look unique by mixing and matching various shades even if it takes crossing out the names we don't like
mac_haul.gif

yeah, mac should totally donate the money to a vericose vein medical research fund.
th_rolleye0014.gif

Lialani

Thank you Erine! It would justify the names at least in some degree... I've seen some of those things or heard from various people. It's really-really sad. Varicose is incurable they say and may cause death if a blood clot stops the blood flow. That's why everyone is advised to get up and move during a long flight.

erine1881

Quote:
Thank you Erine! It would justify the names at least in some degree... I've seen some of those things or heard from various people. It's really-really sad. Varicose is incurable they say and may cause death if a blood clot stops the blood flow. That's why everyone is advised to get up and move during a long flight.

yeah, i was being sarcastic. i don't think there's such a thing as a varicose vein medical research fund.

and they aren't incurable. you can actually get them taken care of a few ways (having them removed thru an incision, laser heat therapy or having a solution injected into them).

and they aren't deadly. people with varicose veins aren't at a greater risk of developing DVTs than any other person on the planet. infact, varicose veins can be a side effect of DVTs.

all varicose veins are are enlarge veins caused by too much pressure on the legs from wearing high heels, pregnancy, being overweight, excessive standing for many years (nurses commonly have them) or excessive sitting, family history, etc. they are painful and not attractive looking, but that's about it.

Lialani

Erine, good to know they are curable! Thanks God. But does that mean we shall start promoting them? When it gets bad like varicose wounds, I don't think so... A person I cared deeply about passed away because of that... This is something no one would want to ever have even as a shade name on cosmetics or nail polish. There is still time and MAC could change the names if enough people point that out. It looks like they were already altered a bit from original working shades. I'm sure some of MAC staff members do review Specktra for hints and ideas and I believe Erin might have something to do with that
yes.gif

Sanayhs

If you read the entire discussion, you'll actually find that people found the names to be humorous, as Dame Edna likely intended.

Miss QQ

true.gif
The names are bizarre, kind of sinister to me. But I'm ok with that because it is only makeup. And makeup is all about fun.
greengrin.gif

gigglegirl

Hung up on the names? Really?? If that makes you not buy what otherwise is a shadow/lipstick/gloss/polish that you love the colour, want to and would wear it, then thats an individual's cross to bear but I would never do it personally.

They could call something Monkey butt, or have drug references like can be found in some UD names but that sure as heck doesn't stop me buying it.

I'm flummoxed.

And let it be shown, I prefer names to just number products (as much as I love MUFE items). Its hard to remember if I have the 927, 929 or whatever.

FlashBang

Damn...I was putting off getting anything else till Hello Kitty but those pics of wisterio and gladiola have totally changed me mind...

Ive budgetted around £300 on HK (I absolutely love HK..and mac!) so I'll sparing on this collection but that lippy is perfect for me and those shades look far nicer on

Susanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss QQ
true.gif
The names are bizarre, kind of sinister to me. But I'm ok with that because it is only makeup. And makeup is all about fun.
greengrin.gif

To be honest, I haven't translated them all yet
lol.gif
I usually don't care about product names
cutey.gif

Lialani

Well, I'm just saying I'd get rid of the labels as soon as possible. Luckily, there's nothing tempting so far except Gladiola
cutey.gif
Besides, other brands would definitely have a similar product if I find a good color with unfortunate name. Most of them are made by the same factory anyways
th_DANCE.gif

contrabassoon

Quote:
Besides, other brands would definitely have a similar product if I find a good color with unfortunate name. Most of them are made by the same factory anyways
th_DANCE.gif

I agree with you fully. Other companies usually do have the same or a very similar product.

Latest posts