MAC Database Template-Access

gigglegirl

Hey everyone! My first real "contributory" post. I'm kinda nerdy (not nerdy enough that I could design a fancy/streamlined database :confused
smiles.gif
so I wanted to make something that would include (as much) of the MAC products as possible. The template was created in Access.

I tried my best, I went to MACcosmetics.com and copied pretty much everything with the descriptions that I could. Where they said it was limited product, I checked the LE box (though I didn't know collections/etc as I'm really new to MAC--thanks to Kim who introduced me to this fabulous line!)

This template is meant to try and have a neat way to keep track of your MAC. I'm sure the die-hard MAC fans who know the collections, can update it much better.

How to use it:
-open the purchases form, type in the date purchased and in the name box, start typing the product name (ie All That Glitters) and the pop down menu should help lead you to the right name. If not, you can just use the drop down and scroll through. Then I would hit the "+" to add another record, and again, enter the date/name.

-once you've entered that, you get to create/print reports!!! I've given a sample report (divided b/w Eye stuff like mascara, e/s, liner etc and everything else--as e/s and pigments have the commonly purchased items listed when I copied the info)

The reports are also personalizable for font/spacing/lines/colours.

Hope this is at least a basic type database to help with keeping track of your MAC stuff.

I didn't know what kind of file sharing site to use, so if any of you have suggestions, please let me know!
Here's where it is currently:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2t4gog7mdxm

Enjoy!

gigglegirl

Update--sorry guys, an oversight.

Here's a new file:
http://www.mediafire.com/?2t4gog7mdxm

For those who've downloaded it, if you'd like to make it so you can only type in something that exists in the database, go into the form, click design view (top left hand symbol with a pencil/triangle thing) and right click on the name field. Click properties, and under data, click Yes in the line "Limit to List".

Sorry bout that. If you guys see any other "bugs" you'd like fixed, leave a message and I'll see what I can do!

weneedaroom

I'd love to use this, but when I try to open it, it says that Windows doesn't know what program to use to open the file? Any suggestions?

starr

Quote:
Originally Posted by weneedaroom
I'd love to use this, but when I try to open it, it says that Windows doesn't know what program to use to open the file? Any suggestions?

do you have microsoft access installed in your computer?
smiles.gif
If you don't have that, i'm afraid you can't be able to access her file
ssad.gif

janelovesyou

That's interesting. I'm currently working on trying to code a site that lets you log your mac collection and share with everyone else.

lethaldesign

I can't download this at work, but I love the idea!! Thanks for creating it, I'll definitely check it out when I get home.

Right now, I keep inventory on an Excel spreadsheet. I have 1 for everything I own (including prices), 1 wishlist for upcoming collections, 1 wishlist for perm items, 1 wishlist for pro items, 1 wishlist for dc/le items, and 1 list I am still compiling consisting of every e/s MAC has ever made (with description, finish, collection, etc). So yes, I'm a nerd too
smiles.gif

mommymac

Well I've tried and tried, even signed up for an account but it just wouldn't download on my system, I do have Access, but I guess I have some sort of major firewall or something, did you create this or did you get it off the MAC site, I'd love to see it, now I'm just using a simple excel system.

gigglegirl

Hey Mommymac,

I totally created it. And I'm sure those who are more familiar w. Access could prob make a better one, but this one worked for me so I thought I'd share. I did have a lot of problems with sending the file to other people, as many programs (I've found Hotmail and my personal account in Outlook) do not like .mdb files for virus reasons.

And Janelovesyou----I LOVE THAT IDEA! Awesome! And it'd prob be easy to update with the new collections? I've just been so busy, I've not had time to update it all! I can't wait to see what you come up with!!

gigglegirl

Is anyone using this? IE would it be useful to update it? As I'm nearing Dec midterms I could update it but I wonder if anyone uses it as its a huge file and requires regular updating......

Babylard

isnt access great? i made a database for my computer usage assignment. you could probably guess what kind of database i created LOL
greengrin.gif

gigglegirl

LOL computer usage I, thats where I first learned to use access and linking tables. but this is so outdated, like over a year ago, I'm thinking I should just get rid of it, and make a newer, easier one.

Or better yet, would be to have something online, where I could easily update the list as new products are released.....a pet project for when I'm outta school!!