MAC, hype and our roles as consumers

BlahWah

Ruffage, thanks so much for sharing with us your insight and helping some of us reign in our common sense! I'm rethinking my Color Forms pre-order now, not as a knee-jerk response to your article but seriously, I'm buying the palette for ONE colour I'm totally falling in love with and am simply justifying the others because they're "made to work well". And the lips palette because Flash of Flesh was my first LE purchase and I'd love to have it again re-formulated... but I can't see myself using a lip palette often anyway.

Ever since the latest new info release I've reached my saturation point of LE details. I've only been visiting 2 collection threads but sadly for me they hardly move at the pace they did 2-3 weeks ago because of all the other collections. I've wanted to get into reading those other threads but whew, it's waaaay too much reading to go through! I don't know how others juggle reading up on those threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaghanb2926
Is an eyeshadow going to turn your life around? No. Might it make you feel great about yourself for a day? Sure. Ultimately, if we spent the amount of time and energy that we do on this site and on makeup in general, on something truly good for us (exercise, healthy cooking, etc) I wouldn't doubt that there would be a whole lot more happy women out there. Myself included...

And after readying this thread for the last 1/2 hr, your comment totally hit me where it hurts - in a good way! I love Specktra just like I love MAC but I've got to cut down on both and rehabilitate my wallet and my cushy arse!

On a following thought... If I could read Specktra while working out I'd totally do it. =D

MaryJane

There are alot of valid points raised in this thread. The people at Mac are excellent at marketing. If you want proof, check out the Sonic Chic thread ~ people are posting that they got up early just to order from the website. Mac has managed to create an extremely devoted client base.

rbella

If by "people" you mean me, then yes I did. And, yes, I am very happy that I am a dedicated MAC client, along with NARS, Chanel and Dior. I think MAC does a fantastic job of marketing, this article if nothing else is proof of that. I'm having trouble understanding why it affects anyone else if I choose to get excited about the "hype" regarding MAC?

rocking chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janice
LE's aren't so LE anymore,

I am so agree with this term. Indeed MAC LE aren't so LE anymore, due to all those repromotes. It just lost that exclusiveness once it is being repromote.

LMD84

yeah it's so true that limited edition means nothing now. for example i was quite sad that i didn't get a metal x shadow last year and the ones on ebay are very expencive (i don't pay silly prices for make up) but now i hear they'll be re-promoted this christmas!

quizshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocodivatime
What a wonderful thread. I myself was feeling guilty just a few days ago for falling into the hype of the COOL HEAT eyeshadow colors.

After reading a thread where there were countless raves on all the shadows I ordered them all online during the 15% discount. The previous day i had just visited the MAC store and determined that I only wanted one of the shadows (solar white). All the other colors were blues. I am not experienced with blue e/s and knew it would not be a wise investment. I already have 4 or so shades of blue plus pigments that would serve its purpose. I didnt need 4 more.

But I ordered them anyway because I got so exited after reading the thread and seeing all of the FOTDs. Once the shadows arrived, I opened the box and looked at the shadows once. They are still sitting in the same place on the side of my bed.
th_dunno.gif

WHile that purchase is no skin off my back financially, I think its the bigger picture that matters. There is a huge hype surrounding this brand and most of us feed into it on some level

I do have many purchases which I am very happy with and always use. But I also have lots that just sit there and should have never been bought in the first place if it would not have been for the HYPE.
omg.gif

I caught myself doing the same thing. Swatching the collection in person, deciding I only want one or two items, then coming to Specktra and reading all the raves and thinking I need more. Now, I stick to what I know looked good and not what can be "worked" with.

And thanks for the research and post. I really got addicted just in the last 6 months, but with so many collections,
thmbdn.gif
I quickly realized there was no way I could keep up with everything. So choosy I have become. Kinda pains me to look at all the black boxes stacked in my makeup drawer that haven't been used beyond swatching.
ssad.gif

quizshow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocking chick
I am so agree with this term. Indeed MAC LE aren't so LE anymore, due to all those repromotes. It just lost that exclusiveness once it is being repromote.

And I think it's diluting the specialness of the brand. Kind of dissapointing that they can't come up with truly new stuff.

MaryJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbella
If by "people" you mean me, then yes I did. And, yes, I am very happy that I am a dedicated MAC client, along with NARS, Chanel and Dior. I think MAC does a fantastic job of marketing, this article if nothing else is proof of that. I'm having trouble understanding why it affects anyone else if I choose to get excited about the "hype" regarding MAC?

I don't think it affects anyone whether others get excited over Mac, purchase Mac, etc. To each his own. I pointed this out as an example of Mac's skill at marketing.

I did not intend to single you out. There were alot of people out there who have been checking out the Mac site religiously waiting to order the new products. Again, what others do has no impact on me but, again, it's a good example of how powerful marketing/hype can be.

FrazzledOne

Great post. I was suckered into the LE hype buying every e/s sight unseen since Lady Danger came out. I recently got a good look at my stash and I have enought e/s to last 10 lifetimes, so why do I need more? For example, I have a full 15 palette of green shadows , especially since I rarely wear green. Go figure.
I haven't bought any MAC since the N Collection and will only buy a replacement lipstick if needed.

But it never hurts to look at the new products even thought most can be duped, and their "looks" section is great for inspiration.

cre8_yourself

This article was very insightful on the world of MAC.. While I've heard of similar stories about this from MAC employees, I only heard them in there sugar-coated versions. I've been to many MAC locations where I felt I was being talked at.. kinda how an infomercial just talks and rants.. etc.. and sad to say alot of the beauty industry is about how well you can sell a product.. (one of the hugest things I couldnt stand about working @ sephora).. and not about the artistry!

However, there must be the realization that no matter how you look @ it MAC will always be prosperous. MAC has various consumer groups, the largest being our generation but more importantly the Baby Boomers. There may be all these people buying limited edition collections, but there are still the ladies in their late 40's and 50's who just want to buy their regular old studio fix or chestnut pencil.. so as long as there are baby boomers there will be a surplus of sales for MAC and many other areas of the consumer market... the baby boomers are still the biggest consumers and this is because goods are targetted towards them ( yes im a sociology major lol).. and causality ensures that aadvertisers will keep targetting them.....
-the part about MAC artists slipping in under independent artists noses was extremely helpful.
smiles.gif

KellyBean

Thanks, this has gotten me thinking quite a bit.

For example, when Heatherette came out, I bought Smooth Harmony. I can honestly say that I've used it maybe twice but I honestly have no use for it.
ssad.gif
I should think about this before buying more, as I'm perfectly happy with my staples. I sometimes branch out but I usually just stick with a few different quads of looks that I've made.

geeko

hmm... i admit i used to be into the hype, especially when it came to the msfs

But after thinking it through, I don't think i'll be buying anymore msfs. IMHO, between beauty powders and msfs, I feel that beauty powders are way better in terms of texture and under rated as compared to msfs. I sold off my Shimpagne msf before because it was too grittery in terms of texture. Light flush turned a weird Orangy pink bronze on me .... I'm still comtemplating whether to sell my light flush or keep it for collection's sake

Although I bought almost the whole sonic chic collection plus 2 backups, I did so because I'm a sucker for blushers in general and when i tested the textures at the counter, I fell in love with the texture instantly....It's no where as grittery as the MSFS...I wish MAC would make the sonic chic a perm line because the blushers in this collection are EXCELLENT. So much so that I don't use my regular MAC blushers anymore and find myself reaching out for my mineralized blushers. This is one collection which i felt it was worth the money to spend on.

And the reason why i have 16 or more different colors of turqoise/teal MAC shadows is because I just LOVE the color turqoise or teal...but i have stopped myself from buying some turqoise shadows before e.g. like the one from starflash because i told myself "You have too much turqoise/teal shadows...finish at least one before u buy again...unless the color is Unique!"
And i'm glad i didnt' buy cause i tested the color out at the counter, and the texture is disappointing.

I only bought one item from the heatherette collection ... that's alpha girl. I bought it because I loved the color (not only the packaging).

Although i do get sucked into the hype at times, I think i'm more of a rational consumer.

I only buy colors that I like and i would use. E.G. the heatherette eyeshadow palettes were darn pretty...but as i had similar colors in my existing make up collection, I saw no point in buying it just for the packagin.

junerose000

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this article! It hits me right on the spot as I have recently come to the conclusion that I am spending way too much $$ on items that I don't even need. I can't begin to count the number of MAC blushes that I have, and most of them end up looking the same on my cheeks! I think as consumers, we have definitely bought into the hype and the whole "in" factor of MAC (or any other HE) cosmetics. The truth is that we don't NEED these things. Sure, it feels good to buy that new LE item so that you can be one of the chosen few to own it, but if in the end, it is ONLY a piece of cosmetic. I am definitely vowing to step back from the MAC train this year, and invest my $$ in more important things.

macosophy

awesome post! this explains why i'm ashamed of being a mac addict. because i fall for the hype and the excitement. however, i think i've started growing out of it. for the first time in a while since i've discovered mac i've skipped monogram collection because i think it's uselessly expensive, chill because it's boring, and dame edna because i know i won't use it. so i feel proud of myself! which doesn't mean i'm not excited about blonde brunette redhead! and hello kitty! but i try to not let myself be fooled. i must see it with my own eyes before i purchase it and only if i really like i will buy it.

mochabean

Thank you so much for all the info you put in this thread, Ruffage. It has really opened my eyes about my spending habits with makeup.

I for one, will admit too that I got sucked into the "hype" of MAC LE Collections. I didn't start getting into MAC makeup, or much of any kind of makeup (before I just bought cheap drugstore brands) until July 2007. I was initially intrigued with MAC b/c of all the LE Collections coming out and then the collecting started! I thought to myself, people are getting so crazy trying to buy this stuff, it must be THAT GOOD to buy. So I have to own it for myself to say that I have it in my collection too!

Since then, my makeup collection has grown SO MUCH! I am literally at the point where I am buying additional storage/traincases to store all of my makeup! I do make the point to rotate my makeup collection every couple of days to make sure I use everything I own. But it's at the point where it is getting ridiculous. I realize makeup does not last forever, and it will all eventually go bad. I think it would be different if I worked as a makeup artist. But I am just a regular makeup consumer and use makeup for my everyday use as my artistic expression. The makeup I already own will listerally last me my whole lifetime!

Not many of my friends in real life know that I am "this much" into makeup. So when they come over to my house and see my room full of makeup, they are literally shocked and taken aback. I love MAC makeup, and other makeup brands as well. I will continue to buy MAC makeup. And I love coming to Specktra and reading all about the new collections coming out and seeing the new swatches. That will never change. But with the economy being the way it is, I have been thinking I really need to sit down and budget my spending. And the #1 thing I always buy every month is makeup. I don't even spend much on clothing, shoes, handbags, etc. I spend most of my money on either makeup, haircare/skincare products.

I realized the other day when I was weeding thru my makeup collection to get rid of stuff I do not use, I thought to myself, "How many shades of blush do I really need?" Or "How many shades of blues and green eyeshadows do I really need?" So from now on, I have decided, I will not buy into the hype. I will buy only items I know I will use, and buy colors that are very unique/do not already own. If there are colors similar that I can dupe, I will forget about it.

But I realize this is easier said than done. It will be very hard for me to try to limit my spending on future MAC LE makeup collections. 90% of my makeup is MAC, and almost all of it is LE and not from the permanent line. So I will try my hardest to be better at this. I guess you can say that it is kind of like trying to quit smoking or trying to go on a diet and eat healthy and cutting out all of the sugar/processed foods. It will be hard, but I have to find a way to do it for myself.

lovesong

I don't see nothing getting the "hyped" about a collection.Myself, I love finding out new information lol and it gets me hyped.People think there is a problem with collecting makeup, but is it any different then collecting video games?Barbies?Baseball cards?I like to indulge in makeup.Even though I buy whatever I feel that I know I will use.Some people like to collect and there is nothing wrong with that.When it comes to LE collections I'm not really that hyped over it because there might only be two or three things I get from a LE collection.

lovemetodeath

thanks for a great article

You know i never actually realised that MAC don't advertise, which made me think about how i came to find it in the first place, and i honestly don't know.

Having 2 kids a tight financial budget i cannot get hyped up by all the LE collections and I'm very careful what i do buy because honestly what does a 33 year old woamn with hardly any socail life really need so much make up for, but i do enjoy collecting some of the perm lines and building up a nice collection of make-up i can enjoy wearing and enjoying using which is how i see my make-up.

I guess for me it also handy that my closest counter is an hour away so i can't get to the store regualrly enough to buy too much, although i do occasionally do online hauls.

Mabelle

this is a great topic!
I admit, i totally get sucked in by the hype at first. I scower the boards for weeks before a collection comes out, sometimes actually on the edge of my seat (C-Shock). I check the swatches daily. I read all the comments from other Specktra members, reviewing there new purchases, but also try and check for dupes.
The final test comes down to see the product. Usually it doesnt live up to the hype, so i can walk away. Every now and then i'll just hear SO much about something that i need it. Example is Smoke and Diamonds. It's a pretty colour, but i hardly wear it.

Honestly, i hate buying products on a whim and not using them, it hurts my feelings and my wallet.

utgirl2006

Ruffage, nice post. I am relatively new to Specktra, and do enjoy seeing the posts about hauls, traincases, and the new collections as much as the next person. However, I think your point is well taken. I am making an assumption here, but I bet a decent amount of peoplce can't really afford what they are buying. And, I don't want to attack anyone, but I see it with my own friends a lot...people simply live beyond their means, especially with credit cards. (this is off topic, but just look at all the foreclosures as an example).

jokers_kick

This post is excellent. This is the reason that I won't buy MAC products exclusively. I realize that there are so many cosmetics lines out there, and MAC is only one of them. I dole out my support of cosmetics in general, not only to MAC.

The reason I took such a long break from buying any MAC items was because of everything this post is about. I saw so many people selling items because of a lost job, or struggling with their bills because they went out and bought a corpulent amount of MAC. I've since revised the way that I buy cosmetics. I love MAC specifically for their shades and their relatively inexpensive line. I have an equal amount of cosmetics from other lines and I've learned to divert the inner "fiend" towards more beneficial means.

Latest posts