MAC Ideas

Chic 2k6

i know this probs sounds nuts but who cares lol.

what do everyone think of MAC doing a 'bargain bin' for their stuff like if someone returns an item that hasnt been used or used once, it could go in the sales section for cheaper price instead of throwin them away wastin a perfectly good products?

what your ideas for MAC?

Vicky88

OH MY GOSH, I thought the exact same thing the other day.

People buy used make-up on here and LJ all the time and it's such a waste, since MAC just throw returned products away.

I would buy from there ALL the time.

maxcat

For health and safety we can't resell them, even if they appear new... they may have been tampered with and the company would be responsible.

Vicky88

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcat
For health and safety we can't resell them, even if they appear new... they may have been tampered with and the company would be responsible.

Ah, didn't think of that. Shame really.
ssad.gif

maxcat

I know!!!
ssad.gif
But it's all about the legal liability - people can't sue when they're swapping and they know it's used but when it's a company it's a whole other story.

bellaetoile

too big of a liability. if somehow one of the products they were selling became contaminated, they would be held responsible, and be subject to legal action. it is their duty to uhold safety and sanititation standards to their products, and to assure consumer safety. its virtually impossible, in some instances, to tell whether or not a product has been tampered with, unless you're a macrobiologist or something.

i have no idea why it bothers me to think of a used cosmetic being sold in a store, yet i'm okay with buying stuff used from people on the boards. irrational fear, i guess.

calliestar

Quote:
I know!!!
ssad.gif
But it's all about the legal liability - people can't sue when they're swapping and they know it's used but when it's a company it's a whole other story.

Do employees/ma's ever just take home stuff that is returned. I think that's what I would do if my manager allowed it/if it's allowed. It does seem like such a waste. I bet that most of the products returned are perfectly good and used once. I totally understand MAC's reasonings...talk about a lawsuit waiting to happen! It's just such a waste.

Shimmer

I watched an MA dig a pigment sample out of a container with her pen the other day. Somehow, their contamination concerns aren't always so evident. :/

lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaetoile
i have no idea why it bothers me to think of a used cosmetic being sold in a store, yet i'm okay with buying stuff used from people on the boards. irrational fear, i guess.

Different expectations. When it's from here you know what to expect, but when it's from a store it's reasonable that you should expect something that's brand new and untouched. Anything that goes against those innate expectations just gives you the heebie jeebies.
winks.gif

MACGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chic 2k6
i know this probs sounds nuts but who cares lol.

what do everyone think of MAC doing a 'bargain bin' for their stuff like if someone returns an item that hasnt been used or used once, it could go in the sales section for cheaper price instead of throwin them away wastin a perfectly good products?

what your ideas for MAC?

It would be nice in theory, but for sterilization's sake it will never happen... How do you know that someone didn't use something? Especially if it were a pigment, foundation etc? And what if they had a skin problem, sickness, etc that might be transferred through the makeup somehow?

MACGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliestar
Do employees/ma's ever just take home stuff that is returned. I think that's what I would do if my manager allowed it/if it's allowed. It does seem like such a waste. I bet that most of the products returned are perfectly good and used once. I totally understand MAC's reasonings...talk about a lawsuit waiting to happen! It's just such a waste.

Never...it would be the equivalent of stealing from the company since the revenue from that product was taken back from the company when it was returned, therefore it is back as MAC Company property, so if someone takes it home they can most likely be prosecuted.

MACGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmer
I watched an MA dig a pigment sample out of a container with her pen the other day. Somehow, their contamination concerns aren't always so evident. :/

lol that MA would have been killed at my store... We always use sanitary procedures. I use a Q-tip to get pigment out of the container onto a clean tissue or petri dish and use it from there.

Shimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACGoddess
Never...it would be the equivalent of stealing from the company since the revenue from that product was taken back from the company when it was returned, therefore it is back as MAC Company property, so if someone takes it home they can most likely be prosecuted.

How can you steal something that is justbeing thrown away? One man's trash is another man's treasure.
smiles.gif

Is my understanding correct though? That they throw away returns, used or not?

MACGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmer
How can you steal something that is justbeing thrown away? One man's trash is another man's treasure.
smiles.gif

Is my understanding correct though? That they throw away returns, used or not?

BC it is not YOURS, taking something that does not belong to you is stealing IIRC... And it isn't being "thrown away" we ship it back to the MAC headquarters. From there, it will most likely be melted down and recycled.

Regardless of what the company is going to do with the product (like throw it away or whatever) it still is property of MAC, and they can do whatever they want with it. They don't give "first dibbs" to their artists...

maxcat

The stuff that needs to be thrown away gets thrown away- sorry, back to mac (we recycle everything including dead testers) - but yeah, unuseable stuff (cuz trust me some of it is g-r-o-s-s), the stuff that is unused gets turned into a counter tester (not the sanitary ones but the ones that you put on your hand) and the rest has to go through inventory control for writedown on losses...
But the basic rule at work is if you are taking something that the company has not expressly given you then it's theft.

MACGoddess

Quote:
The stuff that needs to be thrown away gets thrown away- sorry, back to mac (we recycle everything including dead testers) - but yeah, unuseable stuff (cuz trust me some of it is g-r-o-s-s), the stuff that is unused gets turned into a counter tester (not the sanitary ones but the ones that you put on your hand) and the rest has to go through inventory control for writedown on losses...
But the basic rule at work is if you are taking something that the company has not expressly given you then it's theft.

We don't turn unused stuff into testers at our store...We're not allowed to do it, and will get yelled at pretty good if we do it by our regional manager.