MAC Ideas

calliestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACGoddess
BC it is not YOURS, taking something that does not belong to you is stealing IIRC... And it isn't being "thrown away" we ship it back to the MAC headquarters. From there, it will most likely be melted down and recycled.

Regardless of what the company is going to do with the product (like throw it away or whatever) it still is property of MAC, and they can do whatever they want with it. They don't give "first dibbs" to their artists...

That's totally understandable, actually. I was under the impression that they literally just threw whatever was returned in the trash can because everyone refers to it as "throwing them away." I always kind of thought it was ridiculous to just toss them...but sending them back to the company makes a lot more sense.

MACGoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliestar
That's totally understandable, actually. I was under the impression that they literally just threw whatever was returned in the trash can because everyone refers to it as "throwing them away." I always kind of thought it was ridiculous to just toss them...but sending them back to the company makes a lot more sense.

Nah, we don't literally throw them away at all... We sort them out and then ship them back to the MAC headquarters so they can do what they need to do with it...

depecher

I never understood the rationale of sending it back to the company until I asked my MA about it. She said that since 9/11 they had to be very careful with returned items due to possible terrorism. That really hit me hard. I understand the precautions they take. It's sad, but I understand it.

I have only returned 1 thing this year. The rest of the things I am allergic to, I've given to my mom. She can wear anything.
smiles.gif

maxcat

Quote:
We don't turn unused stuff into testers at our store...We're not allowed to do it, and will get yelled at pretty good if we do it by our regional manager.

Rules must be very different from RM to RM then... dunno what to tell ya.
th_confused_new.gif

As I said, not sanitary testers but "hands" ones, no problem.

Shimmer

Quote:
BC it is not YOURS, taking something that does not belong to you is stealing IIRC... And it isn't being "thrown away" we ship it back to the MAC headquarters. From there, it will most likely be melted down and recycled.

Regardless of what the company is going to do with the product (like throw it away or whatever) it still is property of MAC, and they can do whatever they want with it. They don't give "first dibbs" to their artists...

*shrug* I didn't express that correctly but I'll take your word for it.
smiles.gif

pinkfeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliestar
Do employees/ma's ever just take home stuff that is returned. I think that's what I would do if my manager allowed it/if it's allowed. It does seem like such a waste. I bet that most of the products returned are perfectly good and used once. I totally understand MAC's reasonings...talk about a lawsuit waiting to happen! It's just such a waste.

I dont know about freestanding stores but at counters at dept stores they are allowed to.

Thats how I got most of my free loot from various counters - MAC, Nars, BB, Lancome. EL, Clinique, Shisiedo, etc. Returns, exchanges, etc. You get it signed out by a manager so you are not "stealing" it.

You damage out the item in the system, tag the box, keep the item.

I got items, brushes, etc. Very nice, great perk when working for crap pay at a counter.