MAC is almost never hiring.... or is it?

PinkFreezePop

It's been about 6 months since I submitted my resume (the manager said that they weren't hiring, but I could submit it anyway) at my local freestanding store. The manager knows who I am (she should, I'm there enough, lol), and she knows that I know my stuff.

Today I asked her if she thought they might be hiring in spring. Instead she told me that MAC almost never hires applicants, and that 99% of hires are transfers from with-in the company... yet I know one of the girls who was hired in fall (I work with her sister) and she had never worked for MAC before.

I don't get it... wouldn't she have just told me if I didn't have what they were looking for? Or is this partially true? Do I basically have to try and start at a counter first (none are near me)?

weeping.gif
weeping.gif
weeping.gif

amoona

In my area they say the samething. They hire from within meaning that they hire from their perms from their freelancers. I'm on the waiting list for a freelance interview since I totally screwed up my first one. haha. But you should try to get in as a freelancer.

MisStarrlight

It's kinda true...
Every location has a certain number of (permanent) positions & most of the time they are full. So MAC only hires when someone quits/transferred.

And then there are freelance positions. It seems like there is an unlimited number of freelancers (I'm sure there is a limit, but they rotate through so quickly that they always seem to be hiring for freelance).

As far as only hiring from people within the company...almost everyone that I know that has been hired within the past year has already been working as a freelancer or has transferred in.
There are a few people who were brand new to MAC, though so there is help...however, those people either know the right people or have a very strong retail or beauty insustry background.

Are there any other locations in your area? You may want to try them...or go back to the manager & say you'd like to be considered for freelance as well.

MisStarrlight

Oh :-/

What region are you in? It may be that it's not as busy so they may take on less freelancers that I'm used to...

Don't give up hope...get some more experience & practice your artistry. Maybe now's not your time.

amoona

Hmmm well where I live in the San Francisco Bay Area if you want to be a freelancer then you have to call up the main MAC that does the freelance interviews. I tried to go to a counter and I dropped off my resume and they said they'd fax it over to get me on the freelance interview list and they never did. I had to ask two different counters before someone told me that I have to go Macy's Union Square. I did and I got on a list. They hold interviews once or twice a month and it's as simple as that to get started with the interview process.

You might want to see if your region is anything like mine ... we do have A LOT of MAC stores and counters so idk if that's why our region is set up that one.

~LadyLocks~

Yes, thank you! I'm moving to another state at the end of the month and I really want to apply at MAC. They have 3 different ones in the area I'm moving to so would it help to drop off applications at all 3 or areas to increase my chances? I hope so cause that's the plan!

shabdebaz

In my opinion, the best time to get your foot in the door is when they hire for Christmas help. I was a Christmas hire last year who was made permanent after completing a 6 week contract. I know I have posted this somewhere before, but I had a healthcare background, NO makeup experience and didn't have any connections. I was lucky to get called for a group interview. I was really determined to make myself stand out and everything just fell into place.

I know it can be very frustrating for people who want to apply to MAC. All their job postings are internal, so you never know if they are hiring or not. I was in the same boat a year and a half ago. It is true that there is a lot of movement within the company, so the chances of someone on the outside just getting a permanent position is kind of slim.

If you can, try to wait for Christmas, or just keep trying for a freelance position. If something permanent comes up, you will be considered before someone on the "outside".

Bernadette

I was told that they weren't hiring any makeup artist until the Spring but they had a stock position. I basically told them I would take anything because I just wanted to be with the company. I had two interviews for the stock position and they asked me to come back and do a makeup demo
cheerleader.gif

I got a freelance position and am supposed to start work in Feb.
I would fill out aps at all of the different counters and of course attach your resume. Follow up, follow up some more and then stop by ten times
smiles.gif
If that particular manager keeps telling you they aren't hiring, ask one of the assistant managers. Mention cashier positions and stock positions, anything to get in there.
Oh and always show up wering all black and looking fierce. It's a good thing when people coming up to the counter already think you work there
winks.gif

Good luck!

eyg

From talking to friends who work for M.A.C. they say that it's usually true that they hire/promote from within. However, what misstarrlight said was also very true:

"There are a few people who were brand new to MAC, though so there is help...however, those people either know the right people or have a very strong retail or beauty insustry background."

I was just hired as 3rd Key for a store, but I have a couple of years in the cosmetics industry/retail management. Also, I didn't apply cold for the position... I was approached by the MRO after helping her in the non-M.A.C. store that I currently work in...

1. Don't give up
2. Try to make connections
3. Practice, practice, practice for your demo
4. Always look the part no matter what... you never know who you might come into contact with... when I was approached, I was working in a Skincare boutique with a labcoat on!!! But, I had the "M.A.C. look" and customer service that, I guess, the MRO was looking for...

Good luck!!!!! If you want it bad enough, it will happen...
thmbup.gif

baybehbekah

i had my first MAC interview at a store today and she was very cool and loved my management/cosmetic experience. BUT she did tell me that the store generally hires from counter, but not always ... im starting to see it is luck of the draw and everyone has a different experience. i have some "connections" but again i think it differs from region to region. i was alittle bummed out even though i already knew that, but she did ask if i would be interested in other areas with openings. so i figure if they grab people from counter than i could fill the counter spot that is left open, possibly. which is totally fine with me!
smiles.gif
so we shall see, i just want to be at MAC
smiles.gif