MAC Items Being Discontinued in 2013 Discussion

erine1881

Do you know why? :( Or if there's going to be a new product replacing it??
It wasn't selling well i guess. The pot was a good seller, but that went bye-bye too. Must be just doing LE releases, which sell better. As we saw with apres chic, they came out with the mineralize lip balm, and they're coming back with BB.

BunnyHeffner

I was checking out the "goodbyes" section on the website hoping to snag an extra Kid. (I don't use that much and it's pretty dupeable but I kind of consider it a staple) and I came across the Sheer Mystery powder. I know this is repromoted quite a bit but I've never tried it. It's pretty expensive (especially after a much bigger than expected Archie's haul) but I understand it comes with an extra pan. Can anyone tell me more about this product? Is it something worth having in my kit? Or is it more just something to have in my evening bag to look lovely on special occasions?
How does this differ from other powders for setting makeup? What are the advantages of this powder versus other MAC powders? (I currently use MAC Blot and/or Mineralize Skinfinish Natural for my normal powder)
Also, I know this comes with a refill but can you order the refills on their own? Do the refills stay the same from year to year? For examples, will a refill from next year fit in this years compact?

Honestly, I just think the compact is so pretty and I need someone to enable me! Lol!
girlhaha.gif

erine1881

I was checking out the "goodbyes" section on the website hoping to snag an extra Kid. (I don't use that much and it's pretty dupeable but I kind of consider it a staple) and I came across the Sheer Mystery powder. I know this is repromoted quite a bit but I've never tried it. It's pretty expensive (especially after a much bigger than expected Archie's haul) but I understand it comes with an extra pan. Can  anyone tell me more about this product? Is it something worth having in my kit? Or is it more just something to have in my evening bag to look lovely on special occasions? How does this differ from other powders for setting makeup? What are the advantages of this powder versus other MAC powders? (I currently use MAC Blot and/or Mineralize Skinfinish Natural for my normal powder) Also, I know this comes with a refill but can you order the refills on their own? Do the refills stay the same from year to year? For examples, will a refill from next year fit in this years compact? Honestly, I just think the compact is so pretty and I need someone to enable me! Lol! :haha:
I don't remember much about the powder itself, as it's always a mac store exclusive with the couture collections. But they are LE, and only come with the one refill. Refills arent sold separately. Also, the first year it came out it was the size of blot powder (i have one of the cases, and depotted my blot powder and put in there). But then they started releasing them in smaller size, blush size. As far as colour goes, they started out with three or four, but have narrowed em down to two.

Sarah Caron

I bought a BU of Kid and two Samoa Silks. I would have bought more but that's all they had... I don't think I'll ever run out though because the Veluxe finish eyeshadows last forever! I'm so sad they discontinued them. I was under the impression that Kid was a pretty popular eyeshadow. Oh well, MAC does crazy things sometimes...

Sarah Caron

Do I need Kid if I have Cork?
I think they are completely different... It also depends on your skintone. I use Kid as a transition color and I use Cork for a crease color... so if you use Cork to transition, you probably don't need Kid because it will be too light for you. Here are some swatches I have from one of my posts.

From Left to Right: Soft Brown, Era, Omega, Kid, Malt, Wedge, Cork

I hope that was helpful!

carmiebell

Oh wow can't believe soft brown is going.. Some of the other stuff I can see cause it doesn't sell, but not soft brown! ;(

Sarah Caron

I've been eyeing brown down for a while...what would be a better alternative or dupe for that color
Handwritten is an exact dupe for Brown Down... except it is more pigmented because of its Matte² finish. You aren't really missing out on anything... Brown Down was a pretty big disappointment for me, especially because I already had Handwritten and I didn't know they were dupes until I swatched them side by side... which is probably why MAC discontinued it.

auriannjag42

thanks :) i love my handwritten i went on a hunt to find that one because no mac store had the palette pan of it so i ordered it online and its been a love affair ever since but the mac obsession in me craves another matte brown
Handwritten is an exact dupe for Brown Down... except it is more pigmented because of its Matte² finish. You aren't really missing out on anything... Brown Down was a pretty big disappointment for me, especially because I already had Handwritten and I didn't know they were dupes until I swatched them side by side... which is probably MAC discontinued it.

Sarah Caron

thanks
smiles.gif
i love my handwritten i went on a hunt to find that one because no mac store had the palette pan of it so i ordered it online and its been a love affair ever since but the mac obsession in me craves another matte brown
Oh I totally understand!! I'm going through a matte brown obsession stage myself! I'm saving up for my next haul... I think I'm getting Folie, Soba, Ground Brown, Texture, Saddle, Haux and Brown Script. Hopefully none of those are dupes for ones that I already have. I have to buy mine online also -- I don't have a MAC store near me :(

I know this is a little off topic but do you ladies know if the ones I listed are dupes to: Cork, Handwritten, Brown Down, Brun, Embark, or Espresso... I really don't want anymore repeats!
th_wallbash.gif

Latest posts