MAC Paints vs. UDPP for black folks

OnaFyre

So, I've been using the UDPP for about 2 weeks now and I'm just not sold on it yet. It gives my eyelids a white residue which makes them look horribly ashy, and I have to put it on perfectly or its like a globby white ashy yuckiness (does this happen for folks with lighter skintones too? I've seen some pics from folks that use UDPP and this just doesn't seem to be an issue). And I don't like the way it makes my eye shadow look. It doesn't go on as smoothly or blend as easily as it does on paints. Between the drying time and the extra time spent blending e/s I've added a good 10 mins to my morning routine, which I totally can't afford.

Anyway, I'm wondering if any other black folks or other folks of color or any folks have found these particular problems with UDPP and what are your solutions. I tried mixing a little concealer with the UDPP but it took a lot of time to mix and longer to set on my lids.

I do miss my paints and all of the colors, but I can sleep in the UDPP and its still fine the next morning... The paints just don't have the same lasting power as the UDPP. Also, what colors do you use in paints. I used Bamboom for the longest time, but then a great MA used Tan Ray on me and I haven't really looked back. It is a lot lighter than Bamboom, but its more mate.

Why can't MAC make something like UDPP... in different skintones... Cuz Prep and Prime Eye doesn't cut it...

(I wondered if this goes into reccomendations, but I know more people watch this forum and I'm hoping for more responses and discussions. I've also looked at similar Paints vs. UDPP threads but none of them say anything about how paints vs. UDPP reacts to different skintones.)

litlaur

Do you spread it with your finger to get a thin coat? If not, that might help with the ashy look and drying time.

kare31

I'm a pale girl, so i don't have personal experience with your problem, but you might want to check out Laura Mercier's Basic Color eyeshadows. These have pretty much the same ingredients as UDPP, but come in different colors like Caramel, Chocolate, and Mocha. I don't own any, but when i tried them in store, the texture was similar to UDPP. They come in a lipgloss like tube and apply with a doe foot application.

Link:
http://www.lauramercier.com/products.../basic_colour/

Hope that helps!

LadyLaundale

I am a NC43, and I could never get UDPP to work for me. Unfortunately, I don't think it had anything to do with my skin color. The UDPP blended in with my skintone just fine. But, trying to blend my shadows was a nightmare, so I looked ridiculous with crappy shadow. And then it never grabbed the shimmer for me, it just grabbed the color. And my shadow faded throughout the day. I tried using different amounts from quite a bit, to next to nothing, with no avail. Works for a lot of people, but not for me.

I hugely prefer paints. They wear all day, no creasing and come in a variety of colors. I use Sublime Nature for most looks. Paints are my HG. HTH!

Classic Beauty

That residue thing happened with me too (I'm white). I find paints are just so much easier than UDPP, and there's more in a tube.

aziajs

I use both paints and UDPP. I am a NC45/NW40 and I haven't had a problem with UDPP. I loved it when I first got it but lately my eyeshadows seem to be fading so I switched back to paints. I also use Bamboom. I love it. Tan Ray is also good. I love Bamboom cuz it has a soft shimmer so I can wear it on its own or under other colors and the shimmer never shows through.

Shawna

I am as pale as they come, and I have a similar problem with UDPP if I apply too much. I think the key with it is less is more. If you put a really thin layer on, it dries fast, and isn't noticable. I do prefer paints for certain looks though. I find paints make the colours of e/s stand out more.

Lady_MAC

Thanks for the heads up on that. I hear people raving about things, but usually forget, umm they're mostly white and the colour or whatever just ends up looking gross on me.

I use Mac's Sublime Nature paint and I haven't had any problems, I love it.

MACMuse

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree and say I prefer paints. I'm an NC43 and I use untitled, tanray and bamboom and they're great. paint all the way.

BlahWah

I don't like the paints that much b/c they don't last as well, but I'm still giving them a go. I love UD PP, though, and agree with the suggestions to use less. For a new tube, I use less than what is on the applicator for both lids. No balling or ashy-ness, just what is needed to have your e/s hold all day!

MACGoddess

What I do that HIGHLY increases the color impact of e/s and has a very good lasting power is put a TEENY amount of Cream Color Base on top of my Paints...

We're talking, just TAP your finger on the CCB 3 times, press it to half of your lid, tap 3 times and press it to the other half of the lid, tap 2 times in CCB and gently press to your browbone.

This makes the color of shadows pop a lot more than Paints by themselves and the lasting power is very very good. You do need to make sure to use a little tiny amount of CCB. You really shouldn't even be able to see a color payoff from it.

metalkitty

Hmm, for me the UD Primer potion looks fine... I use only a little and blend it in so I've never gotten eyelid ashiness. I really like paints too, since they have all the different colors and for me last a long time without creasing. Do you powder or blot your eyelids lightly beforeapplying a base? That should make a big difference.

lemurian

I myself am not black, and in fact am as white as they come! UDPP matches my skin perfectly :p However, I have a very good friend of Indian descent who had the same problem as you with UDPP, and she finds Benefit FYEye to be the most viable substitute. MAC paints are fantastic, but on me don't have nearly the lasting power of Benefit, plus the Benefit is universal -- you don't have to coordinate your shadow to the paint color
greengrin.gif

calbear

I wish I could add some insight but I don't use either and I'm an NC50 (queen of the shadesticks here ;-)

MAChostage

Wow, from reading this thread I get the feeling that I'm an oddity in that I use Paints strictly as shadows, not as a base for other shadows. I would much rather use an e/s base for that (UDPP works fine for me, BTW, and I agree that "less is more" when it comes to using it).

MizMac

udpp is the only base that keeps up with the humidity here in tx on my oily skin. paint's never worked for me and shadesticks rocked my socks till I moved here. as repeted a million times, I use the tinniest ammout of pp!

Juneplum

i'm C6 and UDPP works fine for me BUT i use a verrryyyy small amount and spread it thinly.. i have used paints under shadows, but only to kick up the color... i find that UDPP works well cos my lids can get oily in the summer when it's a furnace here in florida
lol.gif
it keeps the shadow crease free which is a big :thumbsup: for me!