MAC Paints vs. UDPP for black folks

YvetteJeannine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACGoddess
What I do that HIGHLY increases the color impact of e/s and has a very good lasting power is put a TEENY amount of Cream Color Base on top of my Paints...

We're talking, just TAP your finger on the CCB 3 times, press it to half of your lid, tap 3 times and press it to the other half of the lid, tap 2 times in CCB and gently press to your browbone.

This makes the color of shadows pop a lot more than Paints by themselves and the lasting power is very very good. You do need to make sure to use a little tiny amount of CCB. You really shouldn't even be able to see a color payoff from it.

What color CCB do you use??? I haven't tried any of them yet, but I'd like to. Thanks for all the good info.

YvetteJeannine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAChostage
Wow, from reading this thread I get the feeling that I'm an oddity in that I use Paints strictly as shadows, not as a base for other shadows. I would much rather use an e/s base for that (UDPP works fine for me, BTW, and I agree that "less is more" when it comes to using it).

No, I do the exact same thing!!!! A couple of years ago, before I had as much MAC as I do now (I only had a couple paints and e/s's)..I would use Stilife for an allover and brow hilight, and Mauvism for a lid color..it looked beautiful..and I got MANY compliments on the combo. Now that I have A LOT more stuff, I don't do it as much, but I still use Stilife (my fave paint) a lot as a single-color brow hilight. You know, you're right; I've noted too that most people on Specktra only use Paints as a base...I use them as a base too..almost every time I apply e/s...but I also think they get neglected by gals who forget (or just don't know) that they can be used in a variety of ways...not just bases...I LOVE my Paints:thumbsup: ...one of my all time fave. MAC items!!!!!

joraye

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizMac
udpp is the only base that keeps up with the humidity here in tx on my oily skin. paint's never worked for me and shadesticks rocked my socks till I moved here. as repeted a million times, I use the tinniest ammout of pp!

I'm in Oklahoma and have oily skin too, so I feel your pain!

I'm a NW25 and I just picked up UDPP yesterday and like it so far. I hope it will combat the oiliness.

I really like MAC Gloss (in Clear) for color pop and staying power, and it didn't make my eyelids oily, but it kinda made them feel like they were sticking together, even though they weren't when I looked in the mirror.

Life In Return

I used the UDPP today under Steamy, Amber Lights, Expensive Pink, Vanilla pigment, and Nocturnelle and it's FANTASTIC! No eyelid ashiness here
greengrin.gif

shygirl

I tried PP at Sephora three days ago. I didn't like it as it looked chalky to me. Paints are my HG. I have Portraiture, Bamboom, Deep Shadow, and Canton Candy for my pink-looks. I use them as a base or alone if I'm in a hurry.

bluegrassbabe

I prefer UDPP to paints, personally. Paints seem to add texture to my lids. I have found I get the best application when I use the 242 brush to put UDPP on, rather than that little wand it comes with, or using a finger to spread it. I just dab it off the wand with the 242 and it spreads a lot better and thinner on my lids. I've never had any issues with the clumping or globbing. BTW, I'm white/native american mix,NC30.

OnaFyre

Okay, so first, thanks for all the feedback. Here's what I've found so far: I've always used a very thin coat, well, after I got the globby icky ashyness the first time I did, so I don't think that was the issue. I tried using my finger to apply it and I was creased by the end of the day, so maybe a little more would work. This morning I tried the concealer+UDPP thing again. I just put some concealer on my lids and then immediately started working UDPP into it with the wand so that the concealer is still wet and workable(I used the MAC one in the squeeze tube for this). This really helped combat the ashiness, and I'm thinking this might be the solution for me.

More questions, do you all use the UDPP on your whole lid area or just part of it? I've tried both, but if I do the whole area then I always get some into my brows or other random areas, but if I do part (like maybe lid to crease or the inner v, which is where I always crease up) then blending the UDPP and non-UDPP area is always a pain and creates funny lines under my shadows.

I'll be curious to try using a brush to apply the UDPP.

Life In Return

I do lid to crease, and as I said, I am an NC45. I do my eyeshadow 1st so all that I do is wash my face, moisturize, put on the UDPP from lid to crease, then I start applying. I do my foundation afterwards
smiles.gif

OnaFyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life In Return
I do lid to crease, and as I said, I am an NC45. I do my eyeshadow 1st so all that I do is wash my face, moisturize, put on the UDPP from lid to crease, then I start applying. I do my foundation afterwards
smiles.gif

Ya, I totally do that too! Well, sorta. My old routine was after I get out of the shower I spray on my toner/fix+ mix, put my contacts in while that stuff sinks in, moisturize, then do other stuff to give that a chance to sink in, then start makeup.
Now, with the UDPP, I put the UDPP on one lid before I mosturize, then moisturize with that eye closed while the UDPP sets (otherwise it creases just like a 3 hr old eyeshadow). Maybe put on undergarments... Then if the first one is dry I'll UDPP the second eye and put on my body lotion on with one eye open... maybe finish undergraments... maybe start my hair... maybe play with my cat... then maybe I can do the rest of my makeup. As you might have noticed, It's really disrupted my routine... and I do lose a lot of time... Am I the only one who bothers to let it dry?