MAC telephone interview?!

glam8babe

Ive just seen a retail artist job advertised quite locally and it says i need to ring the number for a telephone interview?! I know theres other girls on here who work for MAC who haven't had experience (in the UK) so i dont see why i cant give it a go!!

anyways what sort of questions will they ask?

I really wanna phone but i dont wanna phone and not be ready.. then just freeze and not even get a chance lol

thanks in advance
smiles.gif

xxx

dahlingdiva

I never had a phone interview, however, I know they do them. One question I remember them asking me is what MAC stood for. Believe me, some people don't know that answer!! My friend interviewed and didn't know. BTW, she didn't get the job, and not because of that answer. Another thing that caught me off guard was , " what is on the runway right now". Sometimes you just have to improvise and keep talking. I think I was just making things up about being spring and flowy and stuff. Being an avid "Allure" reader I was trying to think what I last saw in there. They will ask you a lot of customer service questions because really, they'll test you on the makeup later when you have do a makeover. I just remember I was really nervous and talking a lot. I asked for a glass of water because I said "I think I'm talking to much" and they were like " no, we like that" Whew. Just be outgoing and talkative. Good luck! I 'm so new here, I don't know how to add the pics in the profile and all that stuff.

neeshie

Good luck.

Also, have a look at the mac website. The spring/summer looks are out (on the UK site anyway)

glam8babe

anybody else had a mac phone interview?

coz i wanna ring as soon as possible! but i feel i need to know more

glam8babe

DirtyPlum here on specktra has helped me with what some of the questions will be :

Hey hunnee,

Oooh... so excited!!! Go for it.... basically what you have to do is give them a call and tell them the position/location you want to apply for they will ask you if u have time to go thru some questions.... they will ask if you want to go thru it then and there or if you want to do a bit more research practice and then call back...

so once ur ready to go ahead someone from their HR dept will ask you questions like what kind of training you have had and what courses you have done and will be going on, what retail experience you have, why you are good for this role, then will get more specific about mac. so whats macs background/history, how are they different from other brands, why do u want to work for them, why are you suitable for working at mac, what is your personal image like, what is your fave mac product, what are your strong points... and then how many hours you can work etc...

i think u will be fine ...i think most mac addicts would be able to answer questions tbh. they just want to get a feel of ur personality and knowledge of mac rather than see ur makeup skills.... the f2f interview will cover that. at first you may be nervous, but as you get into it , it will be fine... go for it, these positions get snapped up quick.

does anybody else have any advice for me i think ill phone tomorrow...

glam8babe

well ive been out all day so i rang at 4.. then i realised they said ring between 9am - 5pm but they didnt answer anyway so ill do abit more research and do it 2moro before i go to college

glam8babe

thanks sparkler
smiles.gif
ive got lots more info from other threads so ive been typing out some stuff i can say.. theres 4 pages long upto now haha but i guess it will be worth it if i sound like i know alot bout the company etc.
Something tells me i could score a face to face interview but also theres something else that tells me i might not even get to do the phone interview as i've not had much experience.. there was a girl on here who said MAC in the UK doesnt give you an interview unless you have had experience with makeup like a makeup counter or whatever but then again i know a few girls on here got their mac job by not having experience

finger crossed!!

it also helps that im getting a car asap :p so i could travel easier i guess

sparkler

i have recently found out that i would loooove to work for MAC too but i have zeeeeero experience with make-up apart from 10 years of applying on my own fine face, haha.

although i have worked in retail pretty much since i was a young child, working for my parents' business and i'm still there now at 22...

so please keep us informed on how it all goes!!!

glam8babe

OMFG IM SO HAPY!!! i got through to the next stage
greengrin.gif
greengrin.gif
wooooo
i rang up this morning and the woman was really helpful she told me what was going to happen and that she was going to ask me some questions which will take about 10 minutes...

anyways the questions she asked me where:

What i know about MAC (i mentioned the 5 mac programmes; mac pro, aids fund, kids helping kids, back to mac, cruelty free beauty and i mentioned where it was established, who were the founders, the companies motto; all ages, all sexes, all races blah blah she was pretty impressed she said i covered everything!)

Why do i want to work for them? (i basically told her my passion for makeup and how i think i would fit in with the mac emplyees etc.)

Whats my favourite makeup style? (i couldnt pick one and i had no idea what to say so i just said im into like bright, neon colours lol)

What experience ive had? (i said ive practised on friends, family etc. and im starting a makeup course which will take 6 months)

If ive had any retail experience? (i told her i worked for 2 companies which i have done in the past.. and i told her what things i did)

Whats my personal image like?

ummm there was about 2 more questions i think... cant remember, im sure one of them was what do i think a mac artists duties are, and the other was something about sales goals.

It was pretty easy, i was worrying before hand incase they asked me about 100 questions and i would freeze over the phone but it was very easy, quick and simple really.

She put me on hold for about 2 minutes then came back and told me i made it through to the next stage where i will be getting an interview face to face in a few weeks time when the area manager rings me, they will provide a model for me, i will have to do a few looks on the model and it would be helpful if i took in some photos just to show my skill

glam8babe

btw: she said i didnt have to take the interview right there, i could ring back after ive done research and learned about the company but i already did that so i asked if i could go along with the interview and she seemed quite thrilled lol

now all im worrying about is the actual interview :O ARGH! what makeup should i wear? how should i do my hair, what outfit shud i wear? what if im rubbish!! so many things going through my head but im glad i have a few weeks to learn more things and sort everything out.. its all thanks to specktra
greengrin.gif

glam8babe

thanks neeshie
greengrin.gif
i know im gonna be soo nervous but its something i really want more than anything so im gonna give it my all

Latest posts